First Zumba Class

Options
Hi All! I just joined a gym with a good selection of classes. Tonight I'm doing my first Zumba class. I'm so so so uncoordinated and dance like a white girl. Any tips or tricks to keep me from looking like a fool or getting hurt?

Replies

• RedSassyPants
    RedSassyPants Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am a Zumba instructor and I have several tips.
    1 ) Don't worry about it so much. Its SUPPOSED to be FUN. Relax and enjoy
    2) You will NEVER get every step the first time and that is ok. Just keep moving.
    3) Smiling burns more calories (ok, that isn't true but it can't hurt)
    4) Nobody is watching YOU. They are watching the instructor or themselves in the mirror
    5) Do NOT hide in the back. You will never be able to see. Pick a spot 2nd or third row but off to the side.
    6) Listen to your body and don't push to hard.
    7) Focus on getting the feet first. Then add arms. Don't worry if you can't do both right away
    Lastly
    If you can, introduce yourself to the instructor before class. Let them know it is your first time.
    They will be able to give you tips for their class as well as know there is a newbie (REALLY helps when we know that up front)
  • AmazingRed
    AmazingRed Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips! I know it's gonna be hard but I'm gonna try. The best tip by far is "no one is watching you" I'll need to remember that when I start getting self conscious. :)
  • SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The Zumba class I go to is in a roller skating rink, so no mirrors, plus they turn the lights off, so I'm lucky I never have to see myself Zumba-ing :) I totally agree with the recommendation to stay near the front-- the first time I went, the person who took me wanted to be in the 2nd or 3rd row, so that's been my spot all along, but I know if I'd had my choice, I would've started in the back and probably never moved forward. One time when I was late to class, I jumped in at the back of the group, and it was SO hard to see what was going on, and the instructor couldn't see us to give corrections either.

Have lots of fun and just enjoy it! And be proud of yourself for going! Give us a follow-up on how it went after you finish :)
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    At my Zumba class, we all dance like fat white girls. Never have I heard anyone laugh or make fun of anyone else. Occasionally the instructor will say something to correct someone's steps or form. Mostly though, we are all just happy to be moving to some hip-hoppy tunes. It can be a tiring pain to go sometimes, it can be invigorating and such an uplift other times. I have seen many benefits since I started last summer. I will warn you, if you hurt yourself (I twisted a knee) then STOP. Take care of yourself, get it checked out if the pain is ongoing. Don't try to work through the pain. I had to take it easy for a while and ended up getting physical therapy for a bit, but it was worth it because I'm back in mostly-pain-free action now.
  • booker2shoes
    booker2shoes Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am a totally uncoordinated white girl. Sometimes my body does NOT do what the instructor's does. I just improvise. The point is to have fun and burn a few calories. You may not be a Fly Girl tomorrow, but your abs, back and legs will likely be sore :-) Enjoy!

P.S. Everyone else is worried about how they look, too!
  • AmazingRed
    AmazingRed Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ok ladies! I survived!

it was just as tough to keep up as I thought it would be. I felt like a jerk at several points because I just had no clue how to follow. The instructor singled me out a couple times to help and in the end I'm glad I went.

i put it in MFP and I don't feel like I burned 466 calories, but i definitely worked my butt off and the time flew. I think I'll be going back. Thanks for all the support!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Just don't get in my spot in class--and you'll do just fine!!! LOL.

So glad you went, and liked it! If you have the ability to laugh at yourself, and enjoy the energy in the class--then you will have a great time! I DO have coordination, and still make wrong moves all the time ( mind wanders....doh!). It just makes me laugh harder! And....one of the very pregnant women in one of my classes pointed out the more that you hoot and holler--the more calories you burn!!
  • taniaandmichael
    taniaandmichael Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just started Zumba too. I hope you love it as much as I do.
  • duluthian
    duluthian Posts: 69
    Options
    Count - usually everything is on an 8 count (if that is the right term) I always count along with the beat, it makes you breathe properly also - have fun :wink:
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Zuuuumba! I go four times a week. I may look like a complete idiot, but I love it nonetheless. The most fun you can have with your clothes on.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! I'm totally uncoordinated and I don't care. I have so much fun! At my gym we have several Zumba classes, and IMHO, the instructor (and the group) makes a difference, along with the music. Some instructors just really engage with the group, gets you hoopin' and hollering, and pushes to make you really work your *kitten* off, all while having fun. Keep going! Find the instructor(s) you connect with the most. If you don't enjoy yourself you won't go back, right! Glad you liked it today!
    03221961 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    At our local YMCA we have Zumba in the water man is it fun !!!!
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Whenever I try a dance class I am unfamiliar with at the YMCA, I try to get in an uncrowded area near the edge of the room so I'm less likely to run into someone if I make a mistake and move in the wrong direction.
  • TNBelle35
    TNBelle35 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA!!
    AND don't be afraid to try different classes, every instructor is different and uses different techniques.
    AND they all use different songs and routines, some like dance more and others more aerobic...mine is perfect, just enough of both and class is a mixture of different size people and we all have fun.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I am the WORST at dance/keeping step...but I LOVED me some Zumba. The only time I was made fun of was when I wore the wrong sort of pants (think: a cross between windbreaker and flimsy cloth) and I had BUTT SWEAT. The teacher was both highly amused and excited for my awesome burn. LOL.

It was fun. I'd love to find a Zumba class nearby!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You're braver than I am! I started at home, mostly because of my work schedule and class schedule. Okay MOSTLY because I didn't want people looking at my flab bouncing around for an hour. Regardless, I love Zumba. I feel amazing when I am done and an usually craving more. Good luck and remember to have fun!
  • wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm a recent zumba convert. I did my first class at the back, then my sister pulled me to the 2nd row and every class I do wtih that instructor now I'm in the same(ish) spot. I am loving it. And still have two left feet LOL
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to make a mistake. It's all part of the learning process and after three of four goes at a particular song, you will start to remember it and then you have more enjoyment humming along with the song.

I personally find as an instructor that if we make it fun and easy for them, they will always come back. And when we make mistakes, they actually love us more because we are not perfect and we're doing this together. Just have fun as this is the best exercise you can do in my opinion. And why I say this? Because it doesn't even feel like you're exercising and then you're done. :)
  • biznotchmindi
    Options
    I have the Zumba for Wii and I'm having a hard time sticking with it, I think I'd do better in a live class.
    Good Job for going! :-)
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Indeed. I have a hard time with the videos and video games too. There's so much zumba out there depending on where you live. Some at studios and some at gyms and some at prices that won't break the bank. Live is a lot more fun I think but if you're doing it regardless of dance floor or keypad, its all good from there. :)