What is the best way to prepare Asparagus?

Options
dakotababy
dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
I bought asparagus for the first time today. I am wanting to make it with ribs, mashed potatoes with sautéed mushrooms with onion. Also, corn on the cob.

I am wondering - what is the best way to try asparagus for a newbie? Grill? Fry? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Is it green or white?

With green, snap off the hard bit at the bottom, toss with a little olive oil and roast 10-12 minutes in a 200c oven.

If it is white, peel the stems and steam or simmer.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Steamed, roasted or grilled is usually how I like it, but I've had them raw as well.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    Green. I am thinking I will try it grilled tonight with garlic and cheese perhaps.
  • Loveisaiah
    Loveisaiah Posts: 51
    Options
    I like to saute them in Italian dressing and bbq them.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    I like to saute them in Italian dressing and bbq them.

This sounds good too! lol maybe ill take 1 stock and just try different ways to prepare them.
  • canadianbugga
    canadianbugga Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i like to brush them lightly with olive oil and add a little garlic and tellicherry pepper, and do them on the grill or roasted.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    lite olive oil, seasoning salt and grill
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Roasted with a little olive oil and salt and pepper or grilled tie for best for me. Steamed is good too. It is one of my favorites cooked almost any way.
  • Mac_X
    Mac_X Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I wrap them in prosciutto and bake them in butter.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    first step is to throw it away

next step is steam some broccoli :)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I saute with olive oil and then season with lemon pepper mix lately.

I do like it with lemon juice sometimes too. <3 Grilled is also preferred, but I don't often do that.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    first step is to throw it away

next step is steam some broccoli :)

I have broccoli for tomorrow. My goal this year was to try at least 1 new food item from the produce section a week. Asparagus was the winner today! :)
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I made asparagus tonight with sirloin steak and home made mashed potatoes.

LIGHTLY douse the with olive oil, then salt and pepper. In the oven for 15 minutes at 350. You could probably sprinkle garlic or Parmesan cheese on them too! :)
  • Siennacita
    Siennacita Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Cut the bottom off (about 1-2 inches). Then spray lightly with olive oil - sprinkle with garlic salt - and roast in the oven at about 375 for 15 minutes or so. super yummy
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I like them roasted, or sauteed in butter. Absolutely love asparagus!! But now thinking...I havnt had them in a long while. I should get some for dinner tomorrow, and will try something new, sautee them in coconut oil instead of butter.
  • keishadanielle9
    keishadanielle9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    roast with little salt and some olive oil
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    pan seared with EEVO and some fresh ground pepper...
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    BBQ'd with garlic, olive oil and then crumbled goat cheese and a balsamic glaze. So good, I'm hungry again lol
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Roasted with a bit of olive oil and sea salt. AMAZING!
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a George Forman. I decided to experiment a couple of weeks ago & use it to grill some asparagus I had bought. I just put a little bit of extra virgin olive oil on it with a little bit of sea salt & pepper, then put it on the Forman grill for a couple of minuets. I turned out pretty yummy.