C25K HELP!

Options
I am looking to start a C25K, but there are so many out there. I haven't done any sort or distance running in about 7 years when I last played soccer. Recently I have been doing slow but steady jogs with walking breaks. Nothing major, but I would like to push myself and train for a 5k so I can register for one that will be held in January. I am a novice here.

I do really well on schedules, did you make your own or adopted one of the many online?
I would be interested in seeing what you all did to finish a C25K.
What worked for you or did not work? Please share. All input and advice welcome! Thanks.

Replies

• ldkalleck
    ldkalleck Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this one
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I feel that it eases you into the program in a very realistic and doable way. It suggests only running 3 days a week, but I often find myself doing about 5.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I too did C25k via coolrunning.com I NEVER could run for more than 30sec, I'd get bad side pains and thought my chest was going to explode! I started the plan in June and graduated just a few weeks back. I think the coolrunning plan is great and it really works :) Good luck!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I followed the track on coolrunning too - well, until about week 7. It's at that point where you move into solid runs and are just increasing your time. At that point I just made my own playlist to use and decided I'd just go on my own. It's been fine. I'm still doing some walking, but the more I'm reading, the more I'm discovering that other than the very elite runners, most people in races do a bit of walking anyway. The very fact that I'm running 5, 10, 15 or more minutes at a time feels like an accomplishment.

I did start out using the podcasts done by Steve (I think...not positive on the first name) Ullrey simply because he makes it easy to know when to switch from walking to running and walking again. He's good in that respect - and he's pretty encouraging (moreso than this girl Mia who has her own, but she's prone to saying things like "I'll bet your legs are getting really tired about now, huh?"). However, I am SOOOOO not a "dance club music" kind of girl, and he seems to pick some incredibly craptastic largely instrumental techno things. That probably has as much to do with me "going rogue" so to speak as soon as I hit the week that was solid 25 minute runs - I wanted to run to music that would push and inspire me, and the club crap just wasn't doing it.
  • lu123
    lu123 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yep, coolrunnings for me too.
    Am on week 7 - could never have imagined myself running for 25mins straight when I started but the program is very do-able, gradually increasing running times.

Good luck with whichever one you choose to go with :smile:
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm about to finish Week 3 of the program that the other posters mentioned (coolrunning.com), and it's been great! I was never ever EVER a runner, so I even doubled some of the weeks, just to make sure I was prepared for the next level. Not only has it helped me to be able to run (something I NEVER thought I'd do), but I've felt so much more fit overall, and the running has helped me lose inches in trouble places that I've never been able to see much change in -- I'm a pear shape, so I've loved watching my hips / thighs / calves FINALLY start to shrink! If you're looking for a doable schedule, I'd highly recommend giving the program a try!
  • luvHim
    luvHim Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also use the coolrunnings program, although I simply printed out the schedule and use my stopwatch. I did not download anything. I love this program! I just got done doing day one of week 6......for me this is very doable.
  • Mariposa7
    Mariposa7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I downloaded 2 training programs to my ipod. 4 weeks to running a 1 mile and 8 weeks to running a 5k. I really like it because it tells me when to walk, when to run, when to rest, etc. I have found it hard to try to time myself runing for 60 sec, etc on other training schedules. Here's the link. I hope it helps! Good Luck!!

http://www.personalrunningtrainer.com/
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm also a Couch to 5K user. Like a lot of of the other people I was not a runner in any way shape or form. I believed that one should only run if being chased. It's a 9 week program and I'm starting week 6 tomorrow. NEVER in my life did I think that I would be able to run 2 miles but yesterday I did and it felt amazing!! It's a good program because it eases you into running. There is also an Iphone App that is great to go along with it. I'll be running my first 5K on October 3.
  • Skinman
    Skinman Posts: 24
    Options
    I too use the Cool Running program. I doubled the first two weeks till I became more comfortable with running. I have been using a GymBoss (www.gymboss.com) to vibrate in my hand when I need to walk or run so I can listen to music and not have to track how many times I have changed.
  • wendimarlow
    wendimarlow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That is so wonderful, aalvarado! I hope you will post how it went after race day. My friend has been trying to get me to do a 5K with her, (she's actually training for the Boston Marathon, so you see my hesitation) but so scared that I'll look foolish running :( I never run in front of anyone as I'm quite top heavy and afraid I'll scare someone! (hehe, jk) I used the couch to 5k program for the IPhone and love it. It's amazing!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I "graduated" a week or so ago - though I had really been focusing more on distance than the "walk 5 minutes, run 30 minutes, walk 5 minutes" thing as I knew I wasn't (and still am not) at a 10-minute mile.

First official 5K is Sunday, then another the next Sunday. Long story...I'd actually signed up for the second (the Komen Race for the Cure) first - then a twitter bud convinced me that it might be good to do the WTC Run to Remember this Sunday as a "test" of how I do outside since I've been on the treadmill almost exclusively thanks to heat and humidity. It's a flat course.

So I'm nervous AND excited! (And really need to get to bed. LOL.)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm using the coolrunning program as well, but the tool I use is a C25K app I downloaded for my phone that is based off that program. It is based of the time, rather than the distance. It makes more sense to me to focus on the time right now while I'm trying to build endurance... I'm on week 4, and getting through the 5 minute runs is a bit tough! I figure that once I graduate from the program with a focus on the time (which I should be able to jog/run for a full 30 minutes by the end), I will then work to improve my speed/distance.
  • RunLaineyRun
    Options
    I started my C25k yesterday! Downloaded this app for my ipod to help with it! http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/c25k-couch-to-5k/id301233668?mt=8 I don't have a high level of fitness, but really enjoyed it, looking forward to building up my fitness level. Needed help to stay focused and motivated, I find Im better at following plans like this than going it alone! and Im keeping an eye out for a 5k run some time in November! So heres hoping it all goes to plan ......
  • crazybxrmom
    crazybxrmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I downloaded C25K for my android. and today will be day 3 week 1. I am getting ready to do a 5K in November..November 20th actually, its the fight for air run. Since my mom has interstital lung disease adn can no longer do much wiht out oxygen and is trying to get on the lung transplant list. I am doing this to remind myself and others how wonderful it is to be able to breathe.
  • SabrinaM85
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions guy! You are great!!

I guess all I have left to do is starting running!