Major props to overweights lads and ladies everywhere

Options
Whenever I see someone who is overweight who is walking/running on the street or at the gym, it really just makes me so happy. I am literally so proud of anyone who not only has to deal with the physical exertion, but also the emotional as well, as we live in a society that places such heavy emphasis on being thin and judges people who are not, either for exercising or not exercising, eating healthy or not eating healthy. Seeing these people is just so motivational and I just want to encourage anyone on here who feels that they are overweight that they are already making a huge accomplishment by just getting out there and trying and doing it. Congrats to you all, and keep it up!!!!! <3

Replies

• jh7060
    jh7060 Posts: 32
    Options
    Can't tell if genuine...or patronizing.
    Thanks, I guess?

Nope, completely genuine, but sorry for the confusion. it's so great to see people out there being healthy and trying to improve their lives, even though so many odds are against them, and it motivates me to get out there as well when i'm having a really off period.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I guess?

Nope, completely genuine, but sorry for the confusion. it's so great to see people out there being healthy and trying to improve their lives, even though so many odds are against them, and it motivates me to get out there as well when i'm having a really off period.

Wish there were more people like you. I can't tell you the number of times I have gone out for a walk and had people scream at me out their car windows that I am a fat cow (usually much worse than that). It happened to my 27 year old daughter a few weeks ago while she was out walking for exercise after having a baby. It kind of drives you indoors to hide.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    +1. I have mad respect for anyone who acknowledges they don't like something they have the power to change, and gets out there and changes it.
  • jh7060
    Options
    Thanks, I guess?

Wish there were more people like you. I can't tell you the number of times I have gone out for a walk and had people scream at me out their car windows that I am a fat cow (usually much worse than that). It happened to my 27 year old daughter a few weeks ago while she was out walking for exercise after having a baby. It kind of drives you indoors to hide.

I see that as well, and it makes me so angry! And it's the same thing with eating I have found too...i'll see people make rude comments whether the person is eating a large bowl of ice cream or a salad...unless they want to say something nice, people just need to mind their own business.
  • jh7060
    Options
    +1. I have mad respect for anyone who acknowledges they don't like something they have the power to change, and gets out there and changes it.

Agreed!! it's so easy to just sit back and complain about something about yourself, but to have the willpower to go out and fix whatever it is you don't like...it's just so encouraging! I personally really don't like exercising, and there are things about myself I want to change, and seeing others do the same thing makes me want to even more.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I always appreciate the smiles and nods I get from in-shape people when I'm out for a run. I feel lucky that my community is one for encouraging people to run rather than the horrible comments others seem to get.
    I get a lot of questions when I'm at 5ks because I have to wear knee braces when I run, and it always tends to gravitate toward my weight loss. I've had so many people tell me I inspire them. Sometimes it's nice to be the one inspiring rather than the one inspired (by all the people on here who have had much more success than me!)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I always think it is awesome, and very brave as well because of the abuse that overweight people sometimes get from thoughtless a-holes. If I see a really heavy person trying to jog, for instance, I think "Wow, it must be so much harder for her, it's like trying to jog with a second person riding on her shoulders!" and I'm just filled with admiration and respect that they have the courage and determination to try.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I get no trouble when I do any kind of public fitness. I used to when I was younger but I moved to an area where everyone is pretty big (the deep south part of Texas) and most people are not jerks about a fat person walking, running, lifting, whathaveyou.
  • jh7060
    Options
    I always appreciate the smiles and nods I get from in-shape people when I'm out for a run. I feel lucky that my community is one for encouraging people to run rather than the horrible comments others seem to get.
    I get a lot of questions when I'm at 5ks because I wear knee braces, and it always tends to gravitate toward my weight loss. I've had so many people tell me I inspire them. Sometimes it's nice to be the one inspiring rather than the one inspired (by all the people on here who have had much more success than me!)

Wow, good for you! I feel like I look in shape on the outside, but I could never do a 5K, at least not right now, so that's really awesome. And your 43 lb weight loss is certainly quite an inspiring feat as well!!
  • jh7060
    Options
    I always think it is awesome, and very brave as well because of the abuse that overweight people sometimes get from thoughtless a-holes. If I see a really heavy person trying to jog, for instance, I think "Wow, it must be so much harder for her, it's like trying to jog with a second person riding on her shoulders!" and I'm just filled with admiration and respect that they have the courage and determination to try.

This. Completely agreed.
  • jh7060
    Options
    I get no trouble when I do any kind of public fitness. I used to when I was younger but I moved to an area where everyone is pretty big (the deep south part of Texas) and most people are not jerks about a fat person walking, running, lifting, whathaveyou.

That's great that there is an area like that! A much more supportive environment, I am sure. wish all places could be like that. it'd be so much easier if people felt like they could exercise without being judged.
  • R55T
    R55T Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the uplifting comment. Yes, it is very disheartening to hear people comment about how fat you are & 'you should lose weight!' not to mention the comments you get when you are out exercising.

The killjoy for me is when I indulge in my favourite meal, mostly a dinner out (after planning my meals for a whole week to allow me extra cals for it), to hear people say to my face 'no wonder you're so fat!'. . . gets me every time. Grrrr!

Anyways, I try not to let the comments stick in my head . . . if it does, I play that back in my head while I'm exercising so I exert myself harder. I love doing boxing moves (with their face in mind)!!! This certainly clears my head.

:wink: Keep smiling
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of questions when I'm at 5ks because I wear knee braces, and it always tends to gravitate toward my weight loss. I've had so many people tell me I inspire them. Sometimes it's nice to be the one inspiring rather than the one inspired (by all the people on here who have had much more success than me!)

Wow, good for you! I feel like I look in shape on the outside, but I could never do a 5K, at least not right now, so that's really awesome. And your 43 lb weight loss is certainly quite an inspiring feat as well!!

Really, I have my town to thank for it. On nice days I usually see at least a dozen people out for runs on my way home from work. My town was actually voted one of the top running towns in the country, the track club is massive, and the largest foot race in Virginia (a 10 mile race with over 3,500 people every year on average) is held here! It's like everyone runs! So, I decided to start running, even though I'm not supposed to because of my knees. Shhh! :P
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    No one calls me fat any more. I still want to lose another 50 lbs. But I find it just as offensive when guys give me excessive unwanted attention. I just ignore that but still annoying.
  • jh7060
    Options
    Thanks for the uplifting comment. Yes, it is very disheartening to hear people comment about how fat you are & 'you should lose weight!' not to mention the comments you get when you are out exercising.

The killjoy for me is when I indulge in my favourite meal, mostly a dinner out (after planning my meals for a whole week to allow me extra cals for it), to hear people say to my face 'no wonder you're so fat!'. . . gets me every time. Grrrr!

Anyways, I try not to let the comments stick in my head . . . if it does, I play that back in my head while I'm exercising so I exert myself harder. I love doing boxing moves (with their face in mind)!!! This certainly clears my head.

wink Keep smiling

i'm so so sorry that happens to you! those people should be ashamed. who are they to judge what you are eating and how you are exercising? ugh it bothers me so much to hear people say those kinds of things. that's definitely a great outlet of frustration at the comments though, to use them while you are exercising. keep up the great work!!!!
  • jh7060
    Options

Really, I have my town to thank for it. On nice days I usually see at least a dozen people out for runs on my way home from work. My town was actually voted one of the top running towns in the country, the track club is massive, and the largest foot race in Virginia (a 10 mile race with over 3,500 people every year on average) is held here! It's like everyone runs! So, I decided to start running, even though I'm not supposed to because of my knees. Shhh! :P

haha wow, my town is certainly not like that at all! we do have some runners, but not too too many. more often than not it is the bicyclists, who ride at the edge of huge shoulder areas, so I prefer runners lol.
  • jh7060
    Options
    No one calls me fat any more. I still want to lose another 50 lbs. But I find it just as offensive when guys give me excessive unwanted attention. I just ignore that but still annoying.

Agreed, some can be far too forward. they've made me a bit frightened of men in general, to be honest :/
  • LilyGrey
    LilyGrey Posts: 18
    Options
    Exactly this is part of the reason why my anxiety got so bad and I now refuse to work out outside of my own flat - even though I'm now a lot smaller than what I was; just don't feel up to facing that again.

First example that comes to mind when I was around 180. I'd gone to the health centre. Done a 1 hour swim and then an hour in the gym, came out, went to the café and got a fresh, healthy, no dressing salad to keep me going till I got back home. I went outside to sit in the sun to eat it, right outside the sports centre. Yes, I was sweaty, I'd done a big work out and the sun was hot and I was probably just a bit gross. A bunch of teenage lads, still in their school uniforms, walked past and started shouting insults. I tried to ignore them. They were calling me fat, gross, disgusting, told me I should be in the gym not outside it, said I should starve myself (I have a history of eating disorders and that salad was actually the first thing I'd eaten in 3 days because I'd fallen back into old habits) and started throwing chips (fries) at me saying that the fat cow probably wants those instead. They started to come closer to keep throwing them at me and one of them shouted, don't get too close, she'll eat you too. I just kept looking down at my salad, tears streaming down my face. I couldn't take another bite because I just felt that awful. It triggered a relapse with my eating disorder and I still can't work out or exercise in public.

So yes, to everyone that's brave enough to do it despite the s*it that bigger people have to face when working out or eating in public, major kudos to you for being so brave to do something that I just couldn't do and still can't.
  • jh7060
    Options
    Exactly this is part of the reason why my anxiety got so bad and I now refuse to work out outside of my own flat - even though I'm now a lot smaller than what I was; just don't feel up to facing that again.

First example that comes to mind when I was around 180. I'd gone to the health centre. Done a 1 hour swim and then an hour in the gym, came out, went to the café and got a fresh, healthy, no dressing salad to keep me going till I got back home. I went outside to sit in the sun to eat it, right outside the sports centre. Yes, I was sweaty, I'd done a big work out and the sun was hot and I was probably just a bit gross. A bunch of teenage lads, still in their school uniforms, walked past and started shouting insults. I tried to ignore them. They were calling me fat, gross, disgusting, told me I should be in the gym not outside it, said I should starve myself (I have a history of eating disorders and that salad was actually the first thing I'd eaten in 3 days because I'd fallen back into old habits) and started throwing chips (fries) at me saying that the fat cow probably wants those instead. They started to come closer to keep throwing them at me and one of them shouted, don't get too close, she'll eat you too. I just kept looking down at my salad, tears streaming down my face. I couldn't take another bite because I just felt that awful. It triggered a relapse with my eating disorder and I still can't work out or exercise in public.

So yes, to everyone that's brave enough to do it despite the s*it that bigger people have to face when working out or eating in public, major kudos to you for being so brave to do something that I just couldn't do and still can't.

I can't. I really just can't. People can be so cruel. And young boys, no less!! I really just don't even have words for this. I just can't even imagine what can be going through these people's heads, saying stuff like that. I hope that someday you will be able to feel proud of yourself and your body to be able to work out in public. Everyone should have the right to do that, and no one should ever make someone feel like they are too overweight to do so.