Recommendations for an Overpronator

amandabrady
amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm sure there are probably some older posts on this topic BUT shoe companies come out with new, improved designs all the time so I figured it wouldn't hurt to re post something...

I'm in need of a new pair of running shoes. My old ones are worn out, I have killed the arch support in them, and they're hurting my body. I have very flat feet; if you saw my wet footprints on pavement you'd see the entire foot, no arch at all. I was wondering if any of my fellow flat footers out there have gotten a new pair of supportive shoes that they really enjoy and find to be quite comfortable. I have relatively narrow feet and currently have been running with asics gel foundation 8. They were pretty good, but after all the miles I put on them they are shot. If you're in love with your current shoe, share with me, I'd like some good recommendations before I go for a new pair!

Replies

• I have Asics too! Had one pair in basic training and loved them so much I bought another pair. I have flat wide feet and they seem to be the best I have tried. Many shoes have way too much arch support and hurt my feet badly. I love my asics. They seem to last one year per pair ( I work out a lot and wear them till they are shot as well) THey were most comfortable during my pregnancy as well.
  • mine are GT 2140
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    I like Asics too, they are a good shoe. My heels are narrow so I buy heel pads to insert into them so my heel fits. Maybe you can prolong your shoes with insertable arch supports. Famous Footwear has a good selection of guality inserts. I find the Dr. Scholl's inserts too weak.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    I too am extremely flat footed. Most shoes are extremely uncomfortable because of it. I went to the New Balance store and had them scan my feet to recommend the right inserts for me. OMG! Shoes feel so much better with the right inserts! Currently I'm in a NB 412, but I've used several of their varieties for different things over the years and always use the same inserts. The ones I'm in now are because I do more walking then anything else. When I was teaching aerobics, I used a 5XX something. I don't remember but they were all white and very supportive from side to side.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    My suggestion would be to go to your local running store and get fitted. They will watch you run and such and be able to give you a few options to try plus usually you can wear them for a month at least and return them if they aren't right. Everyone is different so it's hard to say what's "best." ive ran in nikes for years but I've tried many brands, Im still trying to find the perfect shoe! Good luck :flowerforyou: :smile:

-Leash :heart:
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    My husband's an extreme overpronator and was having a lot of problems with his feet a few years ago. His doctor prescribed New Balance and specifically sent him to the New Balance store (we live in Chattanooga, TN). The owner took one look at my husband's feet and brought out only one pair of shoes: Running shoes style MR1123MC. And it's been Heaven ever since!

He also wears a special insert that they sale at the NB store instead of the original ones that come with the shoes. My husband loved the inserts so much he went back and purchased another pair of inserts to use in all of his other shoes.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    I would recommend going to a running store and getting tested for what shoes will best fit you. My husband and son both have totally flat feet and they both had custom orthotics made and they are very happy because with those they don't have to limit their shoe selection.

I am an overpronator with a normal arch and found that going to different shoe websites and using the "shoe fit guides" I was able to make a list of all possible shoes for my type of foot and go try them all on. I found asics and saucony to be the most comfortable.
  • I had a ton is issues the first week with my standard, reasonably priced sneakers and my feet and knees where killing me.
    I did some research online and read alot of reviews and went to a New Balance Store where someone would be experienced in trainers or running shoes. No offense to teenagers working at a part time job, but I wanted someone who knew about shoes and the amount of weight I put on all aspects of my feet. They scan your feet to determine weight distribution, arch level and consider what the shoes are used for. For example, I am doing curcuit training that include alternating squats, lunges with weights so I need a shoe with stiffer side so that I don't lean to the outside of my foot when doing my cardio.

I got the New Balance Cross Trainers WX856 with an insert to distribute weight support and it made such as difference. My feet miss them when i am not wearing them now. The insert really helps with balancing the pressure when doing the cardio plus they will last me a long time and 110% worth it.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    I second all those who say go to a running store!! NOT something like ****'s or Modell's or some general sporting goods store. And likely not even Foot Locker - though I haven't ventured into their "Foot Locker Run" store. As they've said, a running store will put you on a treadmill and watch you run, sending the images from a camera to a computer so they can do a frame-by-frame analysis and determine how you're running and what type of shoe will be best for you.

At all the running stores I've been to, this fitting process does NOT cost extra. It's part of the service. My favorite running store actually said that you shouldn't be charged for that service at ALL.

The added benefit I've found is that it's an easier way into the running community where you are. The guy who fitted me when I went for my first "real" pair of running shoes was great about answering questions I had then and encouraging me in my running. He also said that I should feel free to come back with any questions that cropped up. I did pop in there a couple of weeks ago when one of my hamstrings was feeling really tight no matter what I did stretch-wise. The girl I spoke with was GREAT about showing me some other stretches and showing me how to use a foam roller. I definitely feel comfortable going in there with any questions or concerns I have. And I'm looking at doing one of their group half-marathon training groups in the future.
  • king6083
    king6083 Posts: 30
    Flat foot here, also. Latest shoes are Brooks Ghost (though I think that's an old model now) treat me well for road running and the New Balance 473 for trail running.

Most important thing for me is finding something without much arch. I overpronate in a shoe with too much arch.
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Thanks to all of you for your input! Currently I live in a new town every single week because of my job, and generally the towns are out in the middle of nowhere. Just trying to find a bike path or a safe place to run in my surroundings is a challenge, let alone finding a nice shop dedicated to runners and their needs. Hopefully some time this month I come across a location that has a shop nearby so I can road trip over there. From the sounds of it, the inserts most of you have invested in are just as helpful as your shoes! I've always relied on the fit of my shoe alone, so having something custom fitted to me and my running style would be new and amazing I am sure. Thank you all again for your advice, and if you have more to add, keep it coming!
This discussion has been closed.