HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT "SKINNY"?

Options
MeIShouldB
MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
I'm curious, how does everyone feel about the word skinny. I am mixed, but I was raised with my black side (except my daddy) and black women take pride in being thick and black men love a thick woman. So growing up, skinny has become kind of an insult to women. When you are called skinny it's more like telling someone that they are rail thin and gross."Skinny" has a negative conotation in the black community, so as I have been losing weight and people have said it to me I'm not sure how to feel. I know most people, if not all, mean it as a compliment but b/c of what the word has come to mean for some people it kinda makes me uncomfortable. How do you feel about the word?

Replies

• catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Skinny does not have bad connotations to me. In fact I, personally, would prefer to be skinny. If someone referred to me as such I generally wouldn't see it as offensive.....of course tone and context make a difference.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I know how I feel about skinny...not sure how I feel about this thread...
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I prefer the term fit if it applies. Skinny sounds too much like underweight to me. And unfortunately a lot of people of normal weight are considered underweight, because they are becoming all too rare.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I prefer thin or fit - skinny to me means underfed and sickly. But that's just me!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    'Skinny' is a negative terminology to me. It's always been associated with thinspo/pro-Ana/pro-Mia in my mind.

I like 'fit.' 'Toned.' Etc.
  • michlama
    michlama Posts: 7
    Options
    I prefer the word "tiny" to "skinny". The term skinny-fat and the idea of skinny models make the term skinny seem unhealthy to me. However, I want to be tiny! Growing up I was always bigger than EVERYONE. Sooooo. Tiny sounds awesome
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Love this perspective as you know the word skinny is admired among white people. What's that saying nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. And how many desserts have the word skinny in them?

I think this is a great thought. I know when I lived in Nigeria skinny meant starving to death.
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about the black community and skinny but I think that is changing. I would never let a someone else decide what I should be. I'm neither thick nor skinny. I have a butt, I have boobs, and I'm healthy. What anyone else thinks is irrelevant. Skinny wouldn't bother me.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    I get called skinny or tiny all the time, doesn't offend me.
  • MeIShouldB
    Options
    I prefer the term fit if it applies. Skinny sounds too much like underweight to me.

DING DING MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to be called "thick" at all, no way, but to me "skinny" is a heroin addict, a concentration camp victim, a person dying from starvation. Somebody with bony lumps of vertebrae protruding down their spine, visible sharp shoulder blades and hip bones, stick-thin arms and legs, thigh gaps, visible protruding ribs. I've seen photos of near-skeletal victims from Dachau and Auschwitz that looked like that.
  • healthyandfitgirl14
    healthyandfitgirl14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to be called "thick" at all, no way, but to me "skinny" is a heroin addict, a concentration camp victim, a person dying from starvation. Somebody with bony lumps of vertebrae protruding down their spine, visible sharp shoulder blades and hip bones, stick-thin arms and legs, thigh gaps, visible protruding ribs. I've seen photos of near-skeletal victims from Dachau and Auschwitz that looked like that.

okay then.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Is 'badass' an option here?
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Up until I was 18 years old, i was naturally thin. But like bony thin. I was about 104 pounds at 5'5 18 years old, so everyone would constantly point out how skinny I was and thought i was anorexic. I HATED being called skinny.

But now that I'm a regular curvy woman who works out and tries, oh boy do i love it when people tell me I'm skinny :love: hhahaha
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

"Badass" is always an option!
  • wobblybitz87
    Options
    I would prefer to be slim that skinny. To me, skinny is underweight. But everyone has different ideas of what skinny looks like. I would just say thank you and leave it at that.
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options

14blqvn.jpg
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I like the word 'skinny.' I like the words 'curvy' and 'athletic.' 'Emaciated' has a bad connotation.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It was an insult as I recall it the first time I heard it. It wasn't meant as a compliment. I had bony knees and was called skinny in a derogatory way in contrast to my older cousins who were already starting to fill out through puberty. As soon as my puberty started kicking in, those insults stopped as I got my womanly thin veil of body fat and a little curves. I was by no means "fat" but I was just no longer "skinny" and both those cousins had passed through that pre-pubescent phase and endured the same "loving" ridicule. There were "skinny" boys in my family too who either passed puberty to become manly or "lanky" or "slim" because apparently the "skinny" label is too harsh for adults in our clan.

ETA: Now however I don't feel negative about it at all. If a friend of mine tried to lose weight and got to a size that I thought was on the low side of healthy and thus "slim" or "slender" I'd have no problem telling her "Hi, skinny girllllll!" with a little wink and I know she'd know I meant it in a nice and complimentary way. I don't think the term is as loaded as it used to be due to new uses like "skinny cow" foods and "skinny margaritas" and etc. etc.
  • MeIShouldB
    Options

love it!