Replacing Cranberry Juice for UTI

Options
2»

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    D-mannose is an extract from cranberry and works amazingly well. I only use that now. I had a UTI, did the doctor route with antibiotics and everything and I couldn't kick it. I cut out all sugar and did D-Mannose for three days and it was gone and didn't return. To relieve the burning you can take a little baking soda in water if you don't have high blood pressure issues. It cuts the acidity in your urine so the burning goes away.
  • mrsclifton10
    Options
    antibiotics and AZO (you can get it at walgreens) is a miracle for symptoms!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I used to get chronic UTI. I started taking cranberry supplements and they suddenly went away. I have since stopped taking the supplements, but I haven't had an UTI in years.

However, cranberry supplements are only proven to help prevent and relieve SYMPTOMS of UTI. It does not cure them. Go to the doctor and get antibiotics before your organs get damaged.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have actually read that cranberry juice makes your urine more acidic which makes UTI symptoms worse and that it should only be used for prevention. Straight water (no juice, dairy, pop, etc) is the best to drink during the infection.
  • supersparklies
    supersparklies Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There's a supplement called d-mannose that works for me. I purchase it online.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Doctor told me that it's only for prevention, not cure so if you have it see a doctor. Take cranberry supplement everyday if this becomes a common thing for you to stop it coming back.
  • plaid464
    plaid464 Posts: 1
    Options
    Grab actual cranberry juice from the store. (Not cranberry juice cocktail. Something like http://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/products/just-juice/organic-just-cranberry .) It's super bitter, so mix down with seltzer and maybe a little OJ. (i.e. make your own cranberry juice cocktail with less sugar.)
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    cranberry supplements may help. also drink lots of water
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Antibiotics for 12 days are like 70 cents if you have health insurance... Last year with my ex we used lube for the first time on Valentines to try it out. We both got a UTI.

No!!!

Don't take antibiotics when you can treat something naturally.

That is not great advice, sorry. You do realize that an untreated UTI can lead to serious complications, especially since you have no idea which organism is responsible for the UTI. I would at least get tested to see what the organism is causing it. I had one that was E. coli and no amount of cranberry juice or "natural" remedies would have cured it.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I got caught in the repeated cycle of uti followed by other very annoying things that resulted from taking antiobiotics for the uti :angry: so aggravating!! I started taking Azo cranberry supplements w/ probiotics -- two a day, no more problems at all since starting.
  • jbs2travel
    jbs2travel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I take cranberry pills - work great - no calories
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    How do you know it's an actual infection if you haven't been to the doctor? One can feel pains similar to a UTI, but they are not actually an UTI. If it was actually an infection, cranberry juice would not get rid of it. There is Interstitial cystitis and Painful bladder syndrome both can mimic the symptoms of a UTI. Just sayin'.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    The azo cranberry supplement pills and the azo pain pills help with the pain and drinking alot of water. I noticed I get them when I eat/drink lots of sugar over a period of time. So maybe cut back on sugar if you think that might be part of it, but some women are just prone to them. Your doctor can leave you a standing perscription for antibiotics to get rid of them if you get them often, but it's best to see a doctor because they can lead to serious problems if left untreated
  • Jsneel
    Jsneel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Pure lemon juice and water should help UTI just google to get exact amount/per portion.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention Uva Ursi (also known as bearberry) works really well but don't take it with cranberry juice. That with d-mannose was what finally kicked my UTI even after antibiotics didn't touch it. Now I start with that and if it doesn't work I will go in for antibiotics but I haven't had that happen yet. Drinking lots of water, d-mannose and UVA Ursi while avoiding all sugar is my personal prescription.