Secrets of Picking Best Produce

Options
When it comes to some produce, I always pick the juiciest, sweetest, ripe fruit/veggies. I'd love to hear your secret to picking the choicest produce : )

Apart from the obvious, I look for the following....

1. Cantaloupe: I look for the most consistent skin on a melon. Somewhere I read that the more consistent the mesh/skin of the melon, that the sweeter/juicier it would be.

2. Watermelon: I look for "sugar" marks. You'll see those brown lines that look like veins, the more the better. So far this has worked great for me.

3. Pineapple: I pick them by pulling on their leaves...the easier the leaf comes off, the riper it will be.

4. Oranges: I always look for the smoothest skin.

I'd love to hear what method you use for picking your produce.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    With watermelon, always look for a nice yellow bottom
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Use your nose. It always knows!

I sniff it - if it smells ripe, it is ripe. If it smells rotten, it is rotten...if it doesn't have a smell, it doesn't have a taste worth logging!

Works every time!!!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Cantaloupe - I also like to pick one that doesn't look like its been bruised or dropped... As well as if the outside has no soft spots and when tapping it, it sounds like a drum.. usually they are good then. (its strange I know)

Pineapple - I check the color of the actual skin and leaves, when they are bad the color actually changes to a strange light yellow towards the bottom areas.. also the leaves are a good indicator and make sure again, they aren't squishy

Most others are visual, grapes you can obviously tell, bananas are all a preference, strawberries as well... Veggies with broccoli the color of the top part (i guess you call it) should still be green and not look like a dying weed/tree.. Mushrooms should not be spotty..
  • supersparklies
    supersparklies Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Im the weirdo in the store smelling all the fruit. Works for me most of the time.