Not very self motivated

Options
jurgie18
jurgie18 Posts: 150 Member
I am new to the forums. I have had a hard time staying motivated. I will be good for about a month and I will talk myself out of working out. The one time I really stuck with it was when my roommate was a personal trainer and I couldn't get out of it. What I am hoping to get out of this group is support when I don't want to get up and workout. My goal is to lose 38 pounds and I would be very happy. I would like to start a support group if you would like to add my please let me know.

Don't want to be the fat teacher anymore! :happy:

Replies

• jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This entire board is a support group! But as you post more and explore I'm sure you'll be able to create your own. The tricks that work to motivate children also work for adults! Do not underestimate the power of a big sticker chart on your fridge for when you work out!
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    hello jurgie

keeping up motivation can be tough, but definitely something you can achieve,

liking the sticker chart idea, also setting your self mini goals that you can achieve long the way is a good way to stay motivated,
    to lose 38 will take time so break it down and hit your mini goals, any little sense of achievement is going to help motivate you,
    also dont just go by what the scale says, take a before pic and compare yourself after a month, and measurements too,

and finally, find a workout you enjoy, there are so many things you can do, walking, elliptical machine, swimming etc, and build up with extra stuff until you find something you are comfortable with,
    if you can find something that you can incorporate into your life and its not chore then you are more likely to keep it going,
    you dont have to go flat out and do insanity or 30DS etc,

good luck, i hope you manage to get your goal of 38 lbs :)
  • jurgie18
    Options
    Thank you that is very good advise I will keep that in mind. I love hiking and been doing a new hike each week and it has worked so far.
  • CS4200
    CS4200 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm a teacher with low self-motivation too. It's SO difficult in our job to do anything very active during the day and then you can be so exhausted at night that the idea of it seems awful. I know that it happens in a lot of other jobs too, but teaching seems to be a real pain, because the majority of your daily mood totally depends on how the kids act. I find that on the really hard days, I go for a walk after school. I live near a beach but it takes over an hour to walk down there and back. You don't have to go hard, but at the end of a walk around dusk I feel healthier, my head feels clearer and I'm more relaxed. It's not intensive exercise, but I feel a lot better about my life and every little bit helps!
  • freakymonday
    freakymonday Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree. I also lose motivation working out after a month or two as well.. :( But I'll try my best this time! Let's do this together! :)

Oh, and nice to meet you! I'm also new here. :)
  • Morganstarr0808
    Options
    that is exactly how i am. i'll be a fitness geek for a couple weeks then i will fall over board. i got your back!
  • jurgie18
    Options
    First day back on it. Did cardio in the form of a hike and did weights chest and back!
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Try and find an exercise class that you really like and it will make it that much easier to stick with it!