Healthy eatiing(HELP!!!!!!!......PLEASE and THANK YOU)

Options
Can someone give me healthy easy recipes(breakfast, lunch, dinner and desserts all are acceptable) that use ingredients that can be easily found?
I am open to all suggestions.... I would like to try some vegan and vegetarian meals.
Also If you have any healthy recipes for popular foods or meals (such as lasagna,tacos,spaghetti or, steak.. anything I just want to try popular foods with a healthy twist)

Replies

• gattlingums
    Options
    I use lots of Quorn - quorn or other meat free mince can be great for a chilli or spag bol and is really low cal and low in fat.

If you use wholewheat spaghetti, and make your bolognaise with tinned tomatos, tomato puree and onion, maybe adding in a small glass of wine - normally comes in at less than 500 calories :)

Try Hairy Bikers too - they have a lovely chilli con carne recipe, but I swap beef mince for Quorn and save about 200 calories - means chilli and rice is around 500 cals
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    since when is steak unhealthy?

and as for lasagne, that sfine too, just dont eat a whole tray of it!
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I try my best to eat healthy. You can add me if you'd like to take a look at my diary.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You say you want "healthy" recipes, but list a bunch of foods that aren't "unhealthy." Are you one of those people that think "healthy" means low calorie? Because it doesn't.
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Can someone give me healthy easy recipes(breakfast, lunch, dinner and desserts all are acceptable) that use ingredients that can be easily found?

I'm working in Qatar and the supermarket's food labelled as a healthy choice is chicken nuggets!
    Plus I am a single bloke out here so for me to cook as opposed to eating a bag of crisps and a bottle of coke it has to be simple.

At the minute I grab whatever vegetable i can find squash, sweet potato, potato, carrot, parsnips onions, chilli, garlic etc
    roast it then chuck it in a pan with lentils and cocnut milk boil that and then liquidise it
    Big thick soup. Far too much to eat in one go so pour it into those old Ice cream tubs I have lots of. Bung them in the freezer and whenever I want some empty a tub into a bowl and microwave it.
    Dead easy, fairly healthy home cooked food but only one session of actually cooking per week.
  • amy_1987
    amy_1987 Posts: 45
    Options
    I second the quorn suggestion - I started using it in place of minced beef (for chilli and bolgnese) last year after going veggie, and it's amazing how much weight fell off after that! Soy mince on the other hand tastes just awful to me :( Quorn is super cheap too compared to meat.
    I also think that meat in itself isnt unhealthy, but is sadly one of those foods that gets labelled as such.

You cant really go wrong with porridge either, nice and satisfying.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Use wholegrain foods wherever possible, they are lower GI and will keep you fuller longer. Quorn mince is a great swap in chili, bolgnese etc as you can't taste any difference. Fish is good for you and usually lower in calories than meat, as long as you don't batter and fry it!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:
    1. 2 whole eggs beaten with 50mL milk and scrambled in microwave (add chia seeds as well if I wanna bump up cals and fibre). Maybe some fruit.
    2. Small serving of Japanese rice, 1 poached super runny egg ontop, side serving of vegetables.

Lunch/Dinner (same thing to me)
    1. mixed salad I make with whatever veggies I want + lean ham
    2. chicken + mushrooms + garlic cooked without any oil w/ some soysauce + mirin (sweet sake) - this can have more/less vegetables
    3. home made bolognese - drain fat after cooking minced meat ,half an onion, lots of garlic, and any veggies you can find + plain tomato pasta sauce + tinned tomatoes. I add egg plant, carrot and broccoli cut very finely. Served on steamed vegetables.
    4. Grilled 150g fish fillet, steamed veggies, tofu
    5. Protein shake + fruit + yoghurt (sometimes if I want something lighter).

Only buy ingredients from the outer edges of your supermarket - fresh only!

check out the leansecrets channel on youtube, I love it for good cooking stuff!
  • Helenca76
    Helenca76 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Take a chicken breast
    Make breadcrumbs with 1 slice of bread, toasted, a pinch of flaked salt, 1teaspoon of oregano, pinch of black pepper and 10g of parmesan. Coat the chicken in natural yogurt, roll the chicken in the breadcrumbs and cook for 25 minutes in the oven on 225 degrees, serve with salad

Easy and tasty.
  • jasminemonique1
    Options
    Thanks for all your help and suggestion. I know that some of the foods that I named weren't all that unhealthy but I am from the south and some southern people can make these dish unhealthy. In the south most of us use a lot of butter, salt, and other fattening/unhealthy ingredients in dishes such as the ones I described. I know that some people can take traditional fattening and greasy foods and make then lighter and healthier. I just wanted to see if anybody out there had some of these recipes. Again I Thank you all of you for commenting. I will take all of your suggestion and use them.

funny story my mom was cooking a bake potato and she was slathering it in butter and I say " Maybe you should just eat the bucket of butter instead." In all seriousness I just want to try to get my eat healthier without compromising taste. :happy: