depressed

Options

Replies

• bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Sorry if my wording was a bit off - a 12 hour day working retail will do that to you...

I know it's not about me. I'm giving an example of someone who eats what the poster I quoted considers "crap" yet has success. It's not always about what is eaten, it's about staying within calorie and macro goals. I learn from how others do things, so I presented how I do things. If you looked at my diary, with your theory that "crap food has a lot to do with it" then I shouldn't be losing weight. That was my point. The OP probably just needs to eat more, not change what's being eaten. I was quite shocked to see how much I needed to eat.
    This is not about you, it's about the OP, who is not seeing any progress and crap food has a lot to do with it.
    I must be looking at the wrong diary... I see a lot of crap food. McDonalds, hot fudge sundaes, velveeta dinners.

Your body is not getting the nutrients that it needs.

If you are giving your body crap, you are going to get crappy results no matter how hard you try. Period.

I eat ice cream all the time. I eat chocolate at least 5 days a week. I drink alcohol. I try my hardest to keep my calories and macros under control, and I'm losing weight. I'm an IIFYM person, as well as my own weird version of IF, and I don't buy into "clean eating". Hell, I drank 'til the cows came home last week, as well as eating what even I consider "crap" that I didn't even bother logging, and lost 2 pounds. I ate crap, I still got good results. Explain, please :smile:
  • zombiefangirl31
    zombiefangirl31 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What's your daily sodium intake? Is it ever over the MFP limit? Are you getting enough water throughout the day? I ask because the same has happened to me, except my weight went up and stayed up (despite working out), because my body began to retain water and I wasn't paying attention to my sodium intake. After a few days of drinking more water, my weight is finally going down.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    weight is only a number, and muscles weights more than fat... are you measuring your body???

What's heavier, a pound of feathers, or a pound of rocks?

Muscle is more dense, takes up less space, but a pound of it weighs just as much as a pound of fat.

They're not talking about a lb of muscle and a lb of fat. You know that, so why are you being deliberately argumentative?

Weight=mass x gravity (acceleration of), i.e. one rock and one feather do not weigh the same.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    weight is only a number, and muscles weights more than fat... are you measuring your body???

Muscle is more dense, takes up less space, but a pound of it weighs just as much as a pound of fat.

You know that, so why are you being deliberately argumentative?

Ah, irony.
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    it may be designed to eat calories back but ot all of us do that. I have done so but for me what is the point why have a set amount of calories if you are going to eat back excercise calories it defeats the purpose to me but to each his own. I did not look at your food diary. But bottom line is eat at a defecit drink plenty of water and move it will not come off overnight but it will happen Good Luck
  • Shaolin_Life
    Shaolin_Life Posts: 53 Member
    Options

How helpful!!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Sorry if my wording was a bit off - a 12 hour day working retail will do that to you...

I know it's not about me. I'm giving an example of someone who eats what the poster I quoted considers "crap" yet has success. It's not always about what is eaten, it's about staying within calorie and macro goals. I learn from how others do things, so I presented how I do things. If you looked at my diary, with your theory that "crap food has a lot to do with it" then I shouldn't be losing weight. That was my point. The OP probably just needs to eat more, not change what's being eaten. I was quite shocked to see how much I needed to eat.
    This is not about you, it's about the OP, who is not seeing any progress and crap food has a lot to do with it.
    I must be looking at the wrong diary... I see a lot of crap food. McDonalds, hot fudge sundaes, velveeta dinners.

If you are giving your body crap, you are going to get crappy results no matter how hard you try. Period.

I eat ice cream all the time. I eat chocolate at least 5 days a week. I drink alcohol. I try my hardest to keep my calories and macros under control, and I'm losing weight. I'm an IIFYM person, as well as my own weird version of IF, and I don't buy into "clean eating". Hell, I drank 'til the cows came home last week, as well as eating what even I consider "crap" that I didn't even bother logging, and lost 2 pounds. I ate crap, I still got good results. Explain, please :smile:

You reply to a quote at the *bottom* of the text.

That being said, at least you're hitting your calorie goal each day. The OP isn't.

ETA: Yeah, I just looked at your diary. Your macros are all over the map, you have missing days, and you either don't hit your goal or you exceed it every day. Not even gonna comment on what you eat. GOOD LUCK with that! :laugh:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    OP, you NETTED like 600 calories yesterday. That is severely underfeeding your body. EAT!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

How helpful!!

It is if you stop to consider what is being said.

One pound of muscle is more dense and takes up less space than a pound of fat. If you put them in the same size box, the pound of muscle will look significantly smaller than the pound of fat.

This is why tape measurements are so vitally important. I have not lost more than 2 pounds in 4 months, but I am down a full pant size. This is due to the weight lifting I am doing now. If the scale was my only measurement, I would have given up months ago.

Admittedly it is an argument in semantics; however, an important one to this specific conversation.

OP: weigh & measure your food. Take other measurements, and give your body time. We don't get fat overnight, we can't undo the damage overnight either.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    it may be designed to eat calories back but ot all of us do that. I have done so but for me what is the point why have a set amount of calories if you are going to eat back excercise calories it defeats the purpose to me but to each his own. I did not look at your food diary. But bottom line is eat at a defecit drink plenty of water and move it will not come off overnight but it will happen Good Luck

Because MFP already has a calorie deficit built into your goal and if you burn off more without eating them back, you can be severely underfeeeding yourself. Check my ticker. I eat back my exercise calories.
  • PepperWorm
    Options

Because MFP already has a calorie deficit built into your goal and if you burn off more without eating them back, you can be severely underfeeeding yourself. Check my ticker. I eat back my exercise calories.

Yep.
  • coachredhead
    coachredhead Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi, I looked at your diarys and your sugar level consumption is double what its supposed to be. If you cut out ALL sugar except what comes in fruit, eat more lean protein and absolutely no processed foods of any time, you will see the weight fall off of you regardless of excersise. Sorry but the type of calories you do eat matter. And you can eat so much more then what you are if you were not eating bagels, donuts and cookies.
  • OLw3nn444
    OLw3nn444 Posts: 1
    Options
    please don't give up , there are a lot of us in the same situation as you, if you stop dieting now, you may add pounds instead of taking them off, so carry on and keep busy .
  • DairByNature
    DairByNature Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just had a sneak peek @ ur diary, you don't seem to be adding your water intake or any drinks,
    I bought myself some scales & i know it sounds obsessive but i weigh everything as some foods on MFP are not so accurate i found,
    i think you can do this if you stick to healthy foods & plenty of water & exercise, ( i struggled for ages with not losing weight ) but i now have my head around it, & what works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone in the same way STAY POSITIVE WERE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER !!!!!! :heart: :drinker:
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ - Do this. Stick to it.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    It's not sugar, it's not carbs, it's not sodium, it's not crap food, it's not processed food, it's not mcdonalds.........it's calories and thermogenisis. Disregard all the broscience and anecdotal "evidence" . You may very well be eating too little or you may be eating too much. You need to do your own calculations, BMR/TDEE and figure what your intake really should be based on your goals. Then, hit your calories everyday consistently for a few weeks and see what happens. If you aren't seeing realistic results, adjust. But seriously, forget all the other things, IN THE BEGINNING, concentrate on calories. The other stuff will come with time and education. Good luck.
  • maecrocker
    maecrocker Posts: 56
    Options
    OK! to answer some questions. Yes I do exercise and I have a heart rate monitor, plus I don't sit down from the time I get up to the time I go to bed. I don't eat a lot of processed foods. I cook everything from scratch. When I do eat something processed its because Im short on time... I average 6 hours of sleep a night. I do weigh my food. And no matter what I set my MFP goals at, it sets me at 1200 calories. I did that a year ago, lost 19 pounds and lots of inches. Got sick with bronchitis for 3 months and a stomach issue for two and was advised to not work out and I barely could eat! Only been back strong for two months.

I don't see many 'made from scratch' items in your daily menus.

If you're that active, you're not setting MFP up properly. You should be set at Moderate to Highly Active. If you choose the RECOMMENDED 1 lb loss each week, the 1200 should disappear.

If you'd like a less confusing way to track your intake without bothering with what you're burning: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Lost a lot of weight on my own about 1 1/2 years ago. Hit my goal weight and thought - cool, I'm done. Never learned how to eat correctly and after 6 months of "being done" gained back 20 of the lost lbs.

Friend told me about MFP and now I'm doing it right. I was so confused at the beginning but then I read in-place-of-a-road-map. I copied it to my computer and review it every few weeks. I also recalculate every so often. I was way under eating. Once I upped my calories, weight started to fall off (well to be honest, when you start to increase, you will gain a few pounds but then they and more fall off pretty quickly). I track my progress by how much my body fat percentage is decreasing.

Its all a little trial and error. But if you do try it this way, give it 3 -4 weeks before giving up. Nothing is accomplished in a short period of time.

Up your calories, eat your veggies, drink water, and enjoy your anniversary!
  • Tweety1983
    Tweety1983 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    OK! to answer some questions. Yes I do exercise and I have a heart rate monitor, plus I don't sit down from the time I get up to the time I go to bed. I don't eat a lot of processed foods. I cook everything from scratch. When I do eat something processed its because Im short on time... I average 6 hours of sleep a night. I do weigh my food. And no matter what I set my MFP goals at, it sets me at 1200 calories. I did that a year ago, lost 19 pounds and lots of inches. Got sick with bronchitis for 3 months and a stomach issue for two and was advised to not work out and I barely could eat! Only been back strong for two months.

If you're that active, you're not setting MFP up properly. You should be set at Moderate to Highly Active. If you choose the RECOMMENDED 1 lb loss each week, the 1200 should disappear.

If you'd like a less confusing way to track your intake without bothering with what you're burning: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    What do you see that's not made from scratch? There are occasional things but Im cant cook daily I have other stuff to do...
  • PepperWorm
    Options

What do you see that's not made from scratch? There are occasional things but Im cant cook daily I have other stuff to do...

There's a massive difference between adding each individual ingredient to create an item/meal and assembling a meal from pre-made stuff. For example, I do not consider a store-bought biscuit made from scratch. Making the biscuit from ingredients in your own kitchen is "scratch." A pre-packaged Velveeta dinner helper is not from scratch. Buying noodles, melting cheese, and throwing in your own seasoning is from scratch.

That's not to see that either of these things are terrible for you. But defending yourself for cooking from scratch all the time when you aren't is a little silly.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

You reply to a quote at the *bottom* of the text.

That being said, at least you're hitting your calorie goal each day. The OP isn't.

ETA: Yeah, I just looked at your diary. Your macros are all over the map, you have missing days, and you either don't hit your goal or you exceed it every day. Not even gonna comment on what you eat. GOOD LUCK with that! :laugh:

I replied at the top because the person I was replying to replied at the top. It was sorta to make fun of them, but in a non-attacking way.

IIFYM... works for me and many, many of my friends. I tried the whole "clean eating" thing for a couple months and it caused me to binge. I have had much more luck eating what I want to eat.

My macros go off the wall because of my BodyMedia, and I have missing days because I went to the beach. Also, I haven't been able to go grocery shopping, so I'm kinda eating whatever I'm able to eat.

In terms of not hitting my goal/exceeding it, I go more by the week, than by the day. If I go over one day, I stay under to make up for it. I went over (I'm pretty sure) when I went to the beach, so I stayed well under in order to make up for those days. Your body is not a 24 hour clock...

Just wanted to clarify the points you attacked me on. Good luck to you, too! :laugh: :drinker: Maybe find someone who hasn't been around as long to tell they're doing it wrong, rather than someone who knows what they're doing :wink: