Jillian Michaels may get me evicated help please

Options
Hi I could use your help I have been doing Jillian Michaels exercise dvds untill recently I got a letter from management of my apt
building about noise complaint and the hours it was from is when I was exercising. So I was wondering if you wonderful
people on mfp can suggest exercise dvds that dont have any jumping or wont make a lot of noise. I have always used an exercise mat and tried exercise with and without running shoes still to loud. So if you have any suggestions please let me know. I went for a walk to this morning but only burnt 150 calories when doing dvds burnt anywhere from 220 to 500 calories depening on which one I did. Also if you know something I could put on the floor that would work better then exercise matt. Unfortunately I can't afford a gym membership and thats reason for exercise dvds. Thank you for any help its appericated.

Replies

• bloatedoak
    bloatedoak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't understand? When are you doing the DVD? If it's after 9 AM and before 7 PM I would say the apartment complex can't really do anything about it - they won't evict you. If it's earlier or late than those times push them. Speak to the leasing office and even ask what's more appropriate - you are paying THEM and they are not just "letting you live there" this is your home and space.

I really don't have any suggestions about dampening the noise - but maybe you can start running and integrate the DVD's on the days you don't run?? (C25K is a great learning to run program).
    Good Luck!
  • kmchambers64
    kmchambers64 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Does your complex have a fitness room with a DVD player? How about switching to a bottom floor apartment? I know these weren't options you were looking for, but the big calorie burns are going to come with noise. I bike and run to supplement my Jillian Michaels, but I know that the muscle i build through the plyometrics is a big factor in my weight control.
  • marshmallow8978
    marshmallow8978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender has some quiet cardio videos- no jumping at all. Also, you could just modify the jumping moves in jillians dvd, to some thing less loud.
    Good luck- i hate apartment living. I think if you arent doing this at midnight then they need to get over it. Its only 24 minutes!
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I had this complaint years ago when I had a second floor apt. I did Jane Fonda back then for about 45 min to an hour. It wasn't in an odd hour or anything. I said I would try to do it when the person wasn't home but if it was just the pounding, there wasn't much I could do. I once had a heavy person living above me and she made a lot of noise, thin carpets and didn't dream of saying anything unless it went on at 10pm or later or for a very long time.

I dd get a carpet remnant that was thicker than the carpet I did have to put down when I worked out and a thick yoga mat. I tried not to jump, you can still get a good workout without too much pounding. It does sound like the ceiling is coming down when the floor is bare, but hopefully you can find a time that is not inconvenient and find an inexpensive carpet to help double pad the area.
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Everyone always asks me why I don't move to the top floor apartment instead of the basement. And my reply is always that I wouldn't be able to exercise since I usually do mine at 5 or 6AM. Sorry :( Maybe take your exercise outside? Or maybe talk to the people down below and let them know what you are doing and see if you can come to some sort of agreement about a good time for all of you? Maybe if they know what you are doing they will be more okay with it?
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Check out www.fitnessblender.com

They have tons of videos and some of them are called quiet workouts. They were made for people who live in apartments or with roommates and need a quieter but still effective workout.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Join a local gym before you get evicted.
  • ktaylor1188
    ktaylor1188 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i also cant afford a gym and have been doing her dvds for over a year now. i live in an apt but thankfully i live on the bottom floor. thats really the only thing i can think of is seeing if you could move down. yoga would be low impact but also lower cal burn so im not sure. i wish you the best of luck! im so thankful that i dont have anyone below be!
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Never seen a Jillian Michaels DVD before, but sometimes when my circuit training calls for jumping jacks or high knees running in place, I feel like I can substitute chair step ups to get a similar rise in heart rate... Maybe you can substitute some of the louder exercises on the DVD like I do.
  • mish24canada
    mish24canada Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My building along with the police say that it doesnt matter the time if someone else says your making to much noise then it has to stop. The police say there isnt set hours and if the police hear to much noise they can give me a ticket for making noise. The police station in my area said people complain about everything including sound of basketballs and people on trampoline. If someone finds its to loud then it has to stop. My apt doesnt have any exercise room.
  • karamini
    karamini Posts: 21
    Options
    Try searching for "blogilates" on YouTube, or going to http://www.blogilates.com/
    She has TONS of really great workouts that are a little more apartment friendly. She even has one or two called "quiet cardio" which are good to use as warm ups. If you check out her site you'll notice she has a "workout calender" which is updated each month, and give you a sequence of videos to do each day. I highly recommend it! I live in an apartment as well and although I have never received complaints, I don't want to disturb anyone by jumping around! I used to do Jillian Michaels as well.
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Try running, or running intervals outside (High Intensity Interval Training) outside.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Move
  • susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Maybe try talking to your neighbors? Explain to them what you are doing, what times you are doing it, and how long it will take. If they still don't get it, maybe see if there is a cheap place? My local high school has a workout room and an indoor and outdoor track. The tracks are free, the fitness room is $1 a visit.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Try talking to the person below you and see if there is a time that they are ok with??
    I know that when I was doing her WO in my own house my BF thought that the roof was coming down.
    If there is an opening in a basement apartment and you plan on staying there for a bit?
    Also if you have a Y in your area, you can apply for subsidy for their gym. When I applied years ago, I paid $5 a month for me and my girls.
  • bobwest185
    bobwest185 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Is there someone in the apartment complex that would like to work out to these videos that has a first floor apartment. You provide the videos but use their place. You get a workout buddy and the noise complaint is gone.
  • trodney1104
    trodney1104 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Check out Walk Away the Pounds or Walk at Home videos by Leslie Sansone. Your local library should have them. They are high calorie burn walks that are fun and easy to do. Very little noise.

Another suggestion is talk to your neighbor and explain what you are doing and then invite them up to exercise with you. You might just gain a new friend and workout buddy. :happy:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    shes a fraud anyways-( the truth about jillian michaels on you tube)

maybe leslie sansone 1 mile walk on you tube
    she also has 2 mile, 3 mile, 4 mile, 5 mile walks

also take it out side.......... g o walking..................
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what 'evicated' means.