starvation mode?

Options
2»

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't want to eat for the sake of eating (IE "are your hungry" ; "I don't know , what time is it") As I process what everyone is saying, it occurs to me, that maybe what I thought was my appetite for years was just a craving for sugar, or chocolate or such and now I am having to adjust my brain when I don't get those cravings. It's an idea. I got some good feedback here, thanks everyone,

you are right, don't eat for the sake of eating! eat for the sake of providing your body with adequate calories AND nutrition. you may not feel "hungry" but your body still needs a minimum to be efficient. I don't usually have a problem being not-hungry, but some days I don't feel the need to eat as much. Those days I try to eat more calorie/nutrition dense foods so that I still get what i need, without that feeling of eating for the sake of stuffing my face.
  • jen_mv
    jen_mv Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't want to eat for the sake of eating (IE "are your hungry" ; "I don't know , what time is it") As I process what everyone is saying, it occurs to me, that maybe what I thought was my appetite for years was just a craving for sugar, or chocolate or such and now I am having to adjust my brain when I don't get those cravings. It's an idea. I got some good feedback here, thanks everyone,

you are right, don't eat for the sake of eating! eat for the sake of providing your body with adequate calories AND nutrition. you may not feel "hungry" but your body still needs a minimum to be efficient. I don't usually have a problem being not-hungry, but some days I don't feel the need to eat as much. Those days I try to eat more calorie/nutrition dense foods so that I still get what i need, without that feeling of eating for the sake of stuffing my face.

This. If you're concerned about eating too few calories, you can add calorie-dense foods to your diet such as nuts or avocados, or add some healthy fats/oils to the foods you're already eating.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    As I process what everyone is saying, it occurs to me, that maybe what I thought was my appetite for years was just a craving for sugar, or chocolate or such and now I am having to adjust my brain when I don't get those cravings. It's an idea. I got some good feedback here, thanks everyone,

Well, unless you want to lose weight, you generally have to eat enough to keep your body and you going. Also, if you believe what Geneen Roth has to say, for many people dealing with weight loss, they have lost the ability to know what true hunger is. Anyway, here's some guidelines for eating. I strongly stand by them -- especially focusing on the meal you are eating, rather than watching TV and take time to sit and eat, rather than scarfing over the sink or during a drive.

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Author-Geneen-Roth-Shares-Her-Eating-Guidelines-Video
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    So your saying Justin Beibers hair,skin, and energy are telling him to eat more. I guess it depends on the physic you're aiming for. I see skinnier dudes all the time who look alot more in shape then some of the ripped guys at the gym.

...Does Justin Beiber only eat 1000 calories a day? I doubt it.
    Justin Beiber doesn't even lift

He can't bloody sing either.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    How'd he get a girlfriend then?

'cos he is famous. That seems to make a difference with some females.