Running

Options
JayStu
JayStu Posts: 332 Member
I have never really ran at all in my adult life although I walk. Last week I decided half way through my walk to try jogging the rest and truth be told I did not feel that great while running. I was hoping anyone could give me some tips or anything to help me with running as my sides and hips hurt when I was done and really felt like throwing up after only half a mile at 4.5 mph pace.

Replies

• ashleexmarie
    Options
    You have to start slow. Try running for 30 seconds then walking for a minute. Do this for 5 minutes. Work your way up from there (: you'll get the hang out it and feel so much better
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you have not run before, you really need to start slow. I am doing a Learn 2 Run Program (10 weeks), and we started with a 5 min walk, 1 min run, 3 min walk, repeat x3 and then finish with a 5 min walk. You run 3 times a week, and every week you build on. I just finished week 5 and I am running 3 mins walk 1 min. The key is to ease yourself into it. There are lots of running programs you can use to ease you into it. At the end of the 10 weeks we will be running 5K.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Start slow! I too hated running. I am 47 now, the smallest I've ever been so its not a weight thing and I have been doing it for over 13 months! OMG at first I would be so sore I couldnt hardly walk and achey! I have a fitbit and all I cared about was steps- all I did was freaking walk! I started doing the couch program for running-or learning to run. http://www.c25k.com/

I used to just go to the park and walk then run, but I found this program really does work. I can run 3-5 minutes straight now with no pain or sick feeling etc. Its also so much faster than walking! Obviously uh! Some days are easy and others hard! Today was hard, legs felt like weights. Tomorrow will be better!

Rock music also helps with the wireless headphones. Just do alittle each day. Soon, you too will love it!
  • flannery2012
    flannery2012 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Anyone have advice for me? I too was using the c25k program and even made it up to running 20 minutes (i was so proud!) then i hurt the tendon in my left heel and can't run anymore. I stupidly tried it once, and after I was warmed up it quit hurting, but when I got up the next morning I could not walk on it AT ALL.
    I really miss running (even at 40# overweight) and my body was changing shape for the better, but I can't bear the pain.
    I have been walking the dreadmill on a steep incline, end up sweating just as much and it doesn't hurt me but I'm not seeing the same body changes.
    Anyone?
  • JayStu
    Options
    So I guess I'll start by doing intervals then. Thanks everyone
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Hey! I too started running just today!! It was difficult at first (I just did 4x2 minute runs and walking the rest of the time.)

It got easier the 3rd and 4th time. Just go slow and build up gradually. Honestly, that seems the best advice.
  • kerrypage81
    Options
    Anyone have advice for me? I too was using the c25k program and even made it up to running 20 minutes (i was so proud!) then i hurt the tendon in my left heel and can't run anymore. I stupidly tried it once, and after I was warmed up it quit hurting, but when I got up the next morning I could not walk on it AT ALL.
    I really miss running (even at 40# overweight) and my body was changing shape for the better, but I can't bear the pain.
    I have been walking the dreadmill on a steep incline, end up sweating just as much and it doesn't hurt me but I'm not seeing the same body changes.
    Anyone?

Sounds really painful. Have you been to your doctor?
  • kerrypage81
    Options
    If you have not run before, you really need to start slow. I am doing a Learn 2 Run Program (10 weeks), and we started with a 5 min walk, 1 min run, 3 min walk, repeat x3 and then finish with a 5 min walk. You run 3 times a week, and every week you build on. I just finished week 5 and I am running 3 mins walk 1 min. The key is to ease yourself into it. There are lots of running programs you can use to ease you into it. At the end of the 10 weeks we will be running 5K.

That sounds like the NHS couch to 5k. I find it really works :)
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a couple of physical therapy visits to get an evaluation of the problem. They can assess if your heel tendon pain is due to a muscle imbalance issue, or due to improper running mechanics. They can then develop a plan to correct whatever is the cause that is continuing to give you trouble. If you decide to do this, just make sure you get a PT that specializes in this area. One way to be sure is to ask if the therapist has a board specialty (orthopaedics, sports, etc..), practices evidence based care(staying up with the latest research) or if they are an active participant of their professional association. Like every profession, there are good ones and bad ones out there. This strategey isn't fool proof but it's a really good way to sifft through and get good advice and care.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
    What you have probably got is tendonitis in the peroneal tendon. I'll tell you what my podiatrist told me when I had that. If the pain goes away or at least lessens as you run then you can keep running on it. Ice it after the runs. Eventually it will get better. I ran through my tendonitis and it stopped hurting completely after about 6 months.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

I'm afraid you'll have to ease off the tendon a bit, they are notoriously slow to heal. I once dropped probably only 7 or 8 foot, and I didn't flex my knees, I flexed my ankles and bounced forwards and fell over.

Anyway, I could only hobble on that foot for a few weeks, and then it's sensitive for ages after that,

Try weights to tone up instead.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    OP. . .understand that running is difficult and you don't feel fantastic while doing it. The "runner's high" is something generally experienced AFTER you finish running. . .putting in the hard work. . .a strong effort. THEN the body releases endorphins. Truth be told, I don't know too many runners who feel fabulous while they are pushing themselves hard. Easy runs are just that easy, but you still get your heart rate up.

Your body is somewhat shocked at the change up. Give the intervals a try and see if you don't build up to much better endurance soon!!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Do the C25K program. It takes all the guesswork out of it. No more "can I? Can't I?" through your mind. You just do it. I use an app called Ease into 5K on my iPhone. Love it!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    c25k made a runner outta me! Highly recommend it. I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs on my phone - worked great.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    c25k made a runner outta me! Highly recommend it. I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs on my phone - worked great.

Yup C25K all the way.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    OP: seriously..c25k. get some fitted running shoes, a decent c25k app and off you go.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options

I'll add my vote for it too. I'm obese, non athletic and am on week 7, running 25 minutes straight. I'm slow but I don't walk any of it. It still blows me away that I'm doing it. The app is fantastic in how it's set up.
  • JayStu
    Options
    Thanks for the C25k app, got it now and going to use it tonight
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

You really will need to wait until that is healed up completed before you restart running, unfortunately :(

Any other cardio will keep you fit, swimming will be excellent as no weight will be placed on your heel.

I really hope it heals asap, it is a pain in the butt when running is ruled out due to injury or illness.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

I'll add my vote for it too. I'm obese, non athletic and am on week 7, running 25 minutes straight. I'm slow but I don't walk any of it. It still blows me away that I'm doing it. The app is fantastic in how it's set up.
    That is the best feeling! I started running at the age of 43. Now a year a half later, I'm still often amazed that I'm out there running on a regular basis, and that 3-4 miles is a normal, easy distance! :bigsmile: