Running VS Walking

Options
What better running or walking? In the end does it matter which one you do or does it matter how many calories you burn off? like for example, I run for about 10 mins and burn 100 calories or I walk for about 20 mins and burn 100 calories. Which is better for weight loss?

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Which ever one you enjoy and will keep doing.
  • marshaxsimoni
    marshaxsimoni Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As long as you burn the calories. Just make sure you enjoy it, I suppose.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Don't know your age but, if you are beginning to have problems with your knees running can put a lot of strain on them. Running and jogging are more jarring.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising at all, it's the caloric deficit that does that.

If you're looking at just the total calories burned you will burn more running for half an hour than you would walking for half an hour. Using your example they're equal, 100 cal is 100 cal but you would probably derive a significantly higher improvement in cardiovascular health from running.

Weight loss is 80% what happens in the kitchen and at the table.

Portion control & caloric deficit = weight loss

Exercise = fitness & improved health

PKW58 has the right answer though.........it's whichever you're going to enjoy more and stick with.
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Both work. But if you can run without pain then I would run. It's good to get your heart rate up.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Which ever one you enjoy and will keep doing.

^^^^This.
  • ironlady10
    ironlady10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Both are excellent. If you can't run yet then walk the distance you'll still feel a sense of achievement!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I believe that all running gets you is ... You burned off the calories faster. For example. You burn off 100 calories running a mile in 15 minutes. Or you burn off 100 calories walking a mile in 1 hour. If you move the same amount of weight the same distance... Then the calorie burn is the same. Cardio-Vascular benefits are much greater running than walking.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I've known too many people who ran and messed up thier knees. If you can get a hold of a copy of CHI running or CHI walking, they have some great rules for running or walking that help you to not injure yourself. It's really fasinating. My FitBit buddies rave about the CHI running. They've even gone to the clinics they hold for CHI Running.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Okay...I have read several of the posts you have put out so far, so I will say this. It isn't about what is the easier way to get there. Running vs. walking burn about the same calories per mile. In the end it doesn't matter if you walk, run, bike, skip, or swim. Cardio is all about fitness help...mean it is mainly about helping your body feel better. In the end, losing weight is all about the diet you keep, not the exercise you do. You can burn 1000 calories running, but what good would it do if you just eat it back in pizza and pops?
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising at all, it's the caloric deficit that does that.

If you're looking at just the total calories burned you will burn more running for half an hour than you would walking for half an hour. Using your example they're equal, 100 cal is 100 cal but you would probably derive a significantly higher improvement in cardiovascular health from running.

Weight loss is 80% what happens in the kitchen and at the table.

Portion control & caloric deficit = weight loss

Exercise = fitness & improved health

PKW58 has the right answer though.........it's whichever you're going to enjoy more and stick with.

QFT
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Both are good, who says you need to choose?
    If you are short of time go for a run, if you have longer go for a walk.
    I find i can walk twice as far as i can run and its the distance that matters.
    But r unning burns cals alot quicker and builds up your lungs. It lso puts alot more stress on joints.

See which you feel like doing and Mix it up . They are not mutually exclusive.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would say running, just in my personal experience. Running gets your heart rate going at a nice rate. The downside to running vs. walking would be the stress it can cause on your joints.

Do whatever suits you - you'll burn more calories running though
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    What better running or walking? In the end does it matter which one you do or does it matter how many calories you burn off? like for example, I run for about 10 mins and burn 100 calories or I walk for about 20 mins and burn 100 calories. Which is better for weight loss?

You can sit for 2 hours at around 150lbs and burn 120 cals.

Maybe, it is all about putting some work in to get the heart muscles along with all the other muscles working.

If you feel that you have achieved your goal by walking then that`s fine if you want to run then run.

If you are using your calorie expenditure to allow you more to eat then burn more cals.

If you want to be more toned then go with resistance.

Weight loss is simply eating at a deficit.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you feel best, or both! They are not mutually exclusive and can be used together. I personally love running, and walking is what I do to build more endurance for more running. :-) Walking is good. I love walks with my family. Running I do by myself (most of the time). It clears my head and reduces my stress. It makes me feel strong and confident. (It has also built some serious hard lean muscle that my walking never did.) And I have lost 40 pounds (6 before mfp) doing it.
  • VeeSecrets
    VeeSecrets Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I l like doing both cus running for a while makes my knees feel funny, so I try power walking with a little bit of running I feel good afterwards
  • Sundogoh
    Sundogoh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My preference is for running for 2 reasons: it is more efficient (burns calories in a shorter period of time) and it feels like I am working hard (don't get that feeling as much with walking).

However, it is really up to you. Just so whatever you are going to stick with - walking or running or a combo of both.
  • Cannon_G
    Cannon_G Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am huge fan of the Galloway run/walk/run technique. You essentially alternate between running and walking for short intervals. Alternating between walking for :30 and then running for :30 allows me to do 8:30 miles and keeps my HR at around 160 for the running portions and 140 for the walking. My legs stay fresh and most important the alternating helps me stay injury free. I started running on 4/30/12 at 306 pounds with a blood pressure of 180/110. 14 months later I weigh 200 and my BP is 110/68.