HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT "SKINNY"?

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I HATE the term skinny. I agree with the other posters that it sounds like they aren't healthy. I prefer the word trim.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Is 'badass' an option here?

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I depends on the context in which the word is used!! It unfortunately also carries a negative conotaion here in South Africa where thick and curvy is in, even amongst white people! I prefer to use the words slim or lean when refering to a thin or "skinny" woman because I don't how she'll take it if I call her skinny! So it really depends on whether the person saying it means it as an insult or compliment! In your case it seems like people are saying it as a compliment so you really have nothing to worry about!
  • veggieshark
    veggieshark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't enjoy body comments at all, even though they can't be helped. When I'm called skinny, I sort of just laugh it off like a "well what can you do?" sort of thing. I don't really enjoy it. I'd rather just be called pretty, or intelligent, or witty, or helpful, or kind.

When people tell me that my body is skinny, it makes me feel like there's nothing to it. That there are no defining, sexy, or beautiful features. It tells me that my 32D breasts aren't big enough to be noticed and my overall hourglass-like proportions aren't as appealing as I once believed. I don't know what word I'd rather be called, honestly. I like curvy, because my body does have rather dramatic proportions, but I like sexy--or ravishing. Intoxicating even.
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think skinny sounds unhealthy - like the opposite of fat. Lean, slim, fit, toned etc all sound "healthy weight" - skinny sounds underweight.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I like skinny for myself, but I never really like commenting on people's bodies because I think it's rude. Different people have different bodies and that's okay- I wish everyone could focus on health instead of their bodies. Not that I can. But it would be nice.
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't love the word "skinny." I'd much prefer to be called "fit" because I want to have curves and muscle and never want to look too skinny. Of course a lot of people divide people into two groups: skinny and fat. If you're not fat, you're skinny. I definitely prefer it to "fat," but no, it's not my favorite adjective.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I can't speak for all African-American men, but my experiences show that there is a trend for African-American men to prefer thick women over skinny women. But I've also seen the same preference for Latino and Caucasian men too from my experiences. Culture definitely plays a role in whether being skinny is valued over being thick, but of course, there are always exceptions to the rule.

I think it's all subjective, and culture can influence people's perceptions. What may be skinny to you may not be skinny to me or anyone else. And then there's the thin line between being "thick" and being "fat". Which is a debate in and of itself.

I think someone is skinny at a size 3 and under. When I lost weight awhile back, some said " Wow" you've gotten skinny! You look great!" Some guys said that I got skinny and seemed disappointed. I didn't think I was skinny at all, having a very toned, curvy size 8 body. I don't think being skinny or being called skinny is a bad thing as long as you are healthy, both body and mind.
  • perfectlyimperfectturk
    Options
    I generally try to avoid terms such as skinny and thin, and lean more towards fit/toned/healthy/average.

I also prefer thick rather than fat/obese/big.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been called skinny my whole life. I don't really care. Some people use it as an insult but others think of it as a complement. I would call myself thin, fit and athletic, personally, but I could care less what other people call me. I know what I am and I like it just fine. :flowerforyou:
  • megabyt23
    megabyt23 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I actually totally get what you're saying. Usually when I hear the word "skinny" in general, as opposed to fit or thin or something like that, it's in the context of being "too skinny." Now every time I hear skinny, I think grossly underweight.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I think it's odd how people see skinny or thin and think unhealthy/boney. Some people aren't fit/toned but that doesn't mean their body is bad or unhealthy.

But I just ignore comments about my body so people can call me skinny or fat all they want and I won't care. :flowerforyou:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    black women take pride in being thick and black men love a thick woman

Some people consider skinny a compliment, others will be insulted by it. I don't think race needs to be part of the question. Many people do not fit that stereotype.
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Fit is the new skinny :-)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Fit is the new skinny :-)

This
    The Old school skinny is miff
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Slender sounds better than skinny. Skinny sounds like you're small and weak, kinda fragile, and easy to break.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I like it when healthy and fit people say it in a good way
    I don't like it when overweight folk spit the word out like its something evil and something to be ashamed of
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    "Fit" is a good thing to be, but it makes a terribly dry, unsexy compliment. I'd rather hear that my legs are beautiful, whatever that means, than fit. No one would call them skinny, but even that would be nicer than "fit."
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Since I lost weight people have referred to me as skinny.I'm not skinny.never have been,never will be.

I have hips and a chest and,since january some new found muscles.

I think what people mean is "not as fat as you were"

Skinny is not what I aspire to be and is usually a term used by my still unfit friends one of whom said "I hate you,you're so skinny"

Not really fond of the word but then there are a lot of words for fat I don't care for either.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I hate the word skinny. When people tell me i am skinny i take just as much offense as when i was called fat. My goal is to be fit not skinny. So to me its a bad word lol