Plateau hell

Options
I've lost 47 lbs since Jan 3rd, 2013 and feel blessed to have lost that much. Very happy since I've gotten back down to a weight where I can exercise, even get on the bike without significant discomfort.

Problem is I have hit a flat spot for two months now, bouncing back and forth between 205 and 201. I cannot get anymore weight off. Want to get down to 180 as my target weight but can't break through this plateau. I've added in walking daily, at least 45-60 minutes. Couple times a week, bike for at least 30 minutes. Vigorous cleaning and yard work for hours on end. And I don't lose any weight.

Any suggestions to break through this? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    IN to find out what people say. Usually the most common answer I've noticed is "change up your workouts". And requests to see the diary to see if there is room to shave off cals.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I've lost 47 lbs since Jan 3rd, 2013 and feel blessed to have lost that much. Very happy since I've gotten back down to a weight where I can exercise, even get on the bike without significant discomfort.

Problem is I have hit a flat spot for two months now, bouncing back and forth between 205 and 201. I cannot get anymore weight off. Want to get down to 180 as my target weight but can't break through this plateau. I've added in walking daily, at least 45-60 minutes. Couple times a week, bike for at least 30 minutes. Vigorous cleaning and yard work for hours on end. And I don't lose any weight.

Any suggestions to break through this? Thanks in advance!

i've been like this for about a year. I finally decided to see an endocrinologist, since my TSH levels dropped right around when my plateau started. Appointment is in 2 weeks
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    How is your eating?
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    How is your eating?
    Mine is pretty much the same as it's been. I tried the up the calorie route, thinking if I gained some weight I'd start to lose again,, but that isn't happening. I upped 15lbs and i'm staying there...
  • bkciddir
    bkciddir Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've hit 2 major plateau's myself, but found that when I upped my GREENS (spinach, salads, kale, broccoli, green beans, brussels sprouts - you get the idea), then the weight started coming off again. I also researched a lot about plateau's so this wouldn't happen again and found out the following. (1) eat all your fruits before 2 pm (2) eat a high protein snack at 3 pm (3) drink at least 8 glasses of water 4) increase your GREENS past 3 pm - spinach works the best. Add spinach to your dinner meals and lots of it. So, to get through PLATEAU HELL, you must go through a little SPINACH HELL. LOL But, it is well worth it and you will break through the plateau. It has worked like a charm for me. I continue to loose weight steadily and I have not hit a plateau again for several weeks. But, when I do - It is SPINACH TIME FOR ME. Good luck. I hope it works out for you.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Hi tony make your diary public and let us know your weight,height and age. Along with what you do on an average week and you might get some valuable advice.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary, it is difficult to give specific advice. That said, two things probably account for much of this:

(1) Your calorie burn changes as you lose weight. Recalculate everything.

(2) Even if you lose all or mostly fat then (1) would occur, but it appears that you are not strength training which means it is very likely you have lost more muscle mass than you would have dieting with strength training and sufficient protein. This will further drive down your BMR.

So again, off the cuff, I'd say these two. For more specific information, we need more detail from your diary.