No Carbs at Dinner?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    I'm diabetic, so I restrict carbs. Don't really miss them at dinner, but I do eat meat. Grilled steak/chicken/shrimp and salad is a favourite meal.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Why would you restrict carbs at dinner? Not judging or disagreeing. Genuinely curious about what it's supposed to accomplish?

I had read this in a Jillian Michaels book. It was all about hormone/sugar regulation (particularly gherelin...spelling?). Thought someone might know a bit more about this idea in particular.

Jillian is talking out of her *kitten*.

No she isn't.

Simple truth, carbs increase blood sugar and blood sugar spikes cause hunger which increases Gherelin, the hormone responsible for stimulating hunger, so when you spike blood sugar you are increasing Gherelin. Do it at night and it results in night snacking which for many people is the reason they battle with weight. You want to fight your body chemistry? Be my guest. Eat carbs to your hearts content until you die from diabetes. To the rest of you out there seeking real solutions to control your cravings: Reduce your carb intake all day , but especially at night. At least balance your consumption with equal amounts of protein, fiber and a bit of fat so it promotes slower sugar absorption. You will see a change in hunger almost immediately.

For MANY people reducing carbs results in controlling blood sugar spikes is the BEST way to control irrational hunger cravings and ANYONE who has a lick of food and digestion science knows this.

Jillian Michaels is no fool. She has made a respectable living teaching millions of people how to manage their weight and get in shape and from what I can tell with an legit motivation to do what is right. I have had the pleasure to meet her and she is awesome. Her concepts are not anti carb, but she does push be responsible in your eating and bed educate about how food affects your body.

I think the people who tell others that they can eat as many carbs as they want without consequence are the ones talking out of their *kitten*.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    I rarely eat starches at dinner anymore. I started it because my trainer recommended it. I make sure to get some kind of complex carb at lunch (typically a whole grain bread or whole wheat pasta). I'm losing weight faster than I ever have in my life, so it's working for me. I eat a lean protein and a lot of veggies for dinner, with a fruit for dessert, and it keeps me satisfied.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    And to answer the OP question. I have reduced my carb intake to 125 on my cardio days and under a 100 grams on my strength training days. I eat most of my carbs directly after my workout which ends usually around 1 pm. My meal at night has few carbs, just enough for digestion and sleep, and lots of protein and fiber to balance it out.

I have little to no cravings all day when I control my carb intake and that is even while I do Intermittent Fasting 16:8 (I don't eat from 9 pm to 1 pm the next day). I don't even crave food during my fasting window. The only time I am hungry now is after my workout. The rest of the time I have to be mindful of eating my calorie target because have little hunger urge. (Which is the Gherelin response)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Typically right before bed I eat two pop tarts, 4-5 cups of cereal & a pint of ice cream. Meal timing, particularly carb timing in this case, is irrelevant.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Why would you restrict carbs at dinner? Not judging or disagreeing. Genuinely curious about what it's supposed to accomplish?

I had read this in a Jillian Michaels book. It was all about hormone/sugar regulation (particularly gherelin...spelling?). Thought someone might know a bit more about this idea in particular.

No she isn't.

Simple truth, carbs increase blood sugar and blood sugar spikes cause hunger which increases Gherelin, the hormone responsible for stimulating hunger, so when you spike blood sugar you are increasing Gherelin. Do it at night and it results in night snacking which for many people is the reason they battle with weight. You want to fight your body chemistry? Be my guest. Eat carbs to your hearts content until you die from diabetes. To the rest of you out there seeking real solutions to control your cravings: Reduce your carb intake all day , but especially at night. At least balance your consumption with equal amounts of protein, fiber and a bit of fat so it promotes slower sugar absorption. You will see a change in hunger almost immediately.

For MANY people reducing carbs results in controlling blood sugar spikes is the BEST way to control irrational hunger cravings and ANYONE who has a lick of food and digestion science knows this.

Jillian Michaels is no fool. She has made a respectable living teaching millions of people how to manage their weight and get in shape and from what I can tell with an legit motivation to do what is right. I have had the pleasure to meet her and she is awesome. Her concepts are not anti carb, but she does push be responsible in your eating and bed educate about how food affects your body.

I think the people who tell others that they can eat as many carbs as they want without consequence are the ones talking out of their *kitten*.

How about showing some research that backs up these assertions......
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    *sigh*

I used to be strict about my new lifestyle, but I still kept losing even after I started eating carbs at dinner. You need to eat carbs to live; restricting them after certain times doesn't make a difference (unless you've got an insulin-resistance disorder of some sort). I just make sure to try and reach my macros in a given caloric amount. It doesn't matter to me WHEN I eat it anymore.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

No she isn't.

We are on a calorie counting website where people are aware of their energy intake. The argument that carbohydrate stimulates hunger and therefore causes overeating is irrelevant in a population that tracks energy intake.

Secondarily I'm well aware that ghrelin is a hunger stimulating hormone. It's also adaptive to feeding patterns which is why intake methods such as Intermittent Fasting tend to work well for adherence in some populations. Which by the way, typically consist of people eating more of their food intake at night.

Now tell me if it's the reduction in carbohydrate or the increase in protein that causes the increased satiation.

Have you seen anyone ever say that you can eat as many carbs as they want? Was that mentioned in this thread or anywhere else?

The notion I'm disagreeing with is that you need to avoid carbohydrate specifically in the evening. Carbohydrates are not the evil lipogenic food that people make them out to be.

Many, many people do very well eating most of their carbs in the evening.

There's no reason to fear it provided you are controlling your total energy intake. It's up to the dieter to choose whichever nutrient timing protocol maximizes performance and satiation and believe it or not, for some people that involves evening carbohydrates.

Finally
    You want to fight your body chemistry? Be my guest. Eat carbs to your hearts content until you die from diabetes

LMAO

OH, and:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

No she isn't.

First of all, Jillian Michaels is NOT a credible source for nutrition.

Secondly, who mentioned carb cravings? Not the OP. Carb cravings are a totally different issue as to whether you need to restrict carbs at night.

And talk about hyperbole with the 'die of diabetes'...lawdy.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    *sigh*

I used to be strict about my new lifestyle, but I still kept losing even after I started eating carbs at dinner. You need to eat carbs to live; restricting them after certain times doesn't make a difference (unless you've got an insulin-resistance disorder of some sort). I just make sure to try and reach my macros in a given caloric amount. It doesn't matter to me WHEN I eat it anymore.

So you're saying I have to eat bread and potatos and pasta to live? That's BS. I've eaten low carb for years, my health is perfect although I'm carrying a bit more body fat than I want right now.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member

No she isn't.

First of all, Jillian Michaels is NOT a credible source for nutrition.

Secondly, who mentioned carb cravings? Not the OP. Carb cravings are a totally different issue as to whether you need to restrict carbs at night.

And talk about hyperbole with the 'die of diabetes'...lawdy.

In for carbs causing diabetes.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    sounds about as effective as only eating out of white dishware. which is to say, not at all
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    thanks all for the great advice!
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    [/quote]

Not to derail your carb question, but I am 4' 11" and I consume between 1400-1600 cals daily. I cycle 20 miles and lost 4 lbs and 2 inches off of my thighs, and an inch from my buttinsky. Are you netting 1200 daily?
    [/quote]

It depends. Today I had a 13 hr day of work, so I was at 1400. However, yesterday I ate about 1200 yet my net was 800 because of my workout (I wear a HR monitor to get a more accurate count...I only wish I could burn as much as machines would suggest one does....especially when you are short).

Not sure about what I am supposed to net, whether I am to eat back my calories, etc.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Not to derail your carb question, but I am 4' 11" and I consume between 1400-1600 cals daily. I cycle 20 miles and lost 4 lbs and 2 inches off of my thighs, and an inch from my buttinsky. Are you netting 1200 daily?

It depends. Today I had a 13 hr day of work, so I was at 1400. However, yesterday I ate about 1200 yet my net was 800 because of my workout (I wear a HR monitor to get a more accurate count...I only wish I could burn as much as machines would suggest one does....especially when you are short).

Not sure about what I am supposed to net, whether I am to eat back my calories, etc.

This should help with your question re eating back your exercise calories:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

Edited to fix quotes
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    As long as you are in cal deficit it does not matter. I go to bed at midnight so I'm starved as my dinner is at 6 pm. I eat something and write it down to next day breakfast.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Unless you are only eating meat, you have carbs in vegetables and everything else you eat.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Wondering if anyone has tried this. I did so once and it seemed to work (but it could have been a host of other things...particularly that my weight training was really intense then). Thinking about taking it up again. Don't have a lot to lose and I eat fairly well...definitely under my calorie limit each day (1200....I am only 4'11).

Has anyone done this? Had it work? Have a sense of why or why it didn't work?

My hesitancy is around how things would need to change re: my cooking (husband does most of it and is great at it.....I tend to set kitchens aflame!) and the fact that I don't eat meat which makes this a bit of a challenge.

Any thoughts, ideas, stories, would be much appreciated!
    thanks!

The science (limited to be sure) says the opposite -

http://iifym.com/carbs-at-night/
    "One group (control) ate carbs throughout the day, whereas the experimental group consumed the majority of their carbohydrate intake (approximately 80% of the total) at the night. What they found after 6 months may shock you. Not only did the experimental group consuming the majority of their carbs at night lose significantly more weight and bodyfat than the control group, they also were better satiety and less hunger!"
  • lcransaw
    lcransaw Posts: 95
    I use to do the no carbs after lunch, but to be honest, I was starving after dinner and had a headache, like the pp said. So, I just focus on staying in my calories, and carb ratio for the day. I have eaten carbs for dinner and still lost weight, so I am going to just be mindful of my portions, but not ban carbs totally at night or for dinner, I should say. I haven't read Jillian Michael's plan, but I did hear this from a trainer I worked with in the past. He said you don't want the huge insulin spike before you go to sleep. Either way, I think as long as you are eating and working out to create a deficit, you should lose. I got my hormone levels tested, and also did a glucose tolerance test, and both came back normal, so I am not going to focus on the time I eat carbs. Good Luck to you!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    I try and keep my carbs at 100/day from non grain sources (veggies, fruits and legumes) and I find it doesn't much matter what time I eat them.

This was an interesting article summarizing a recent Harvard Medical School study on carbs and their affect on hunger...

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/27/science/la-sci-high-carbohydrate-hunger-20130627

I'm not sure if the article links the actual study, but my own personal anecdotal evidence supports these claims.