Might be going out for dinner tomorrow night (help)

Options
My Dad wants to go to a place I USE to love going to, but now, I dread it. :frown: And I hate the fact that I now dread it....

It has awesome food, but it's all unhealthy....burgers, fries, fish n' chips, hot dogs, deep fried onion rings,...all that stuff. They have soups, salads and chicken burgers, but it's how they make it.....It's on a beach, and it's really old. I love it, but now.....I fear going and eating there....but I don't want to keep making my parents upset by not wanting to go anywhere that has unhealthy and high calorie food.....I'm not looking forward to when we can afford to go to chinese buffets again.....and I love those, but just can't do it..... :frown:

Oh, and their amazing ice cream shop.....I hate the way I am.....it's my fault for the way I am.....I feel as if I'm just a big problem for everyone I know, now. I use to have no issues with food and enjoyed eating whatever I wanted without worry...Now? I have to worry....

My question is....how do i deal with this? I could have a soup and salad, but I'll be staring and drolling over what my parents order and I'll keep staring at the ice cream parlor....my issue is, I feel as though I won't be able to stop if I do eat chocolates, sweets, candies, ect.....I haven't had any in so long......uhg, I feel so stupid...

:cry:

here's the place.... http://www.hutchsonthebeach.com/

Replies

• getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Here's what u do because I had the same problem I went out for my friend's bday last week and ppl told me I was making them feel bad bc they werent eating healthy. Before I go out to eat, I always eat something before I go. Maybe a huge salad. Or some fruit. I do the same thing before I go to a party. Another thing you can do is plan your day for whatever you are going to eat. Maybe not eat a huge breakfast and lunch. You can also workout extra hard that day so maybe the calories wont matter as much. But last but not least and this is my favorite, ask for a to go plate and only plan on eating half. Ask for it in the beginning. If u eat a little something before you go it wont be an issue.

Dont beat yourself up bc u love this place. U are always going to have these problems. U are human. You have friends and family. They aren't always going to understand. U just have to plan around them and you will be just fine. :)
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My advice -- Get a burger (chicken if you want, and maybe even a double) and a salad. Pull the top of the bun off when you get it, and eat the bottom bun. Then get a small slushie instead of ice cream :)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Fish and chips aren't too deadly, but going fish only would probably be the better choice. I always try to check the menu/nutrition data before going out to eat; it gives you a chance to pick out what you want without the shock/regret later when you get home.
  • KathryneJY
    KathryneJY Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd order a burger, no cheese (unless it's real, and not processed cheese food) and don't eat the bun. Skip the ketchup. Have lettuce and tomato on it. Skip the fries and have a salad instead (with a vinaigrette or no dressing). If the chicken burger isn't breaded, go for that. A lot of places like this are high in calories because of the deep frying, bread, breading, condiments, portion size and fatty meats.

Alternatively, order what you want and eat half or less of it and take the rest home for another meal.

Plan for the meal and get some exercise beforehand and cut back on your other meals for the day. One day will not undo your hard work. Just make a few different choices. Skipping the fries alone would be a good choice. You can always have a nibble of your parent's fries if you want a little taste.

There's a great burger place where I live that will substitute the bun for half a head of iceburg lettuce shaped like a bun. It's a really great alternative and whoever thought of that is my hero.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I took a peak at your diary to see how many calories you have to work with. It looks like you're not always making it to your 1200 calorie goal sometimes between 400 and 700 off. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too terribly much about this one dinner out. If you want fish and chips get the small order or the large and box up half to go so you can enjoy it later. Get what you want, eat slowly, and enjoy the time with your family. Try not to stress over this too much. Do the best you can, because unless you go completely crazy and eat three or four days worth of calories in one meal you should be fine.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It's one day. You can't derail your long-term progress in one day.

Go enjoy a delicious night out with your family, and forget about the calories for one meal.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Don't talke about dieting, but be sure to plan, plan, plan ....... eat lighter during the rest of the day ....... pick the healthiest options at each meal ...... get in some exercise, so you've got extra calories to "burn" .......

It's doable ..... so just do it :drinker:
  • rozarotti
    rozarotti Posts: 139
    Options
    My opinion is if you are working hard at sticking to your healthy eating limits one dinner won't kill you. You may not feel physically great afterwards, but allow urself to enjoy something you always had before. If you try to always restrict you will start binging. I say workout hard, eat really healthy all day, drink lots of water and go enjoy a dinner with your family!!! You will not destroy everything in one night and family time is really important!!!
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You could view the day as a nice outing with family and enjoy your meal, and there are ways to mitigate the high calories. For breakfast and lunch eat lighter, do a workout and save the calories for your treat with the family. You would be surprised that a burger, depending on the size of it of course, can be only around 400-500 cals, and you can share fries with someone. Enjoy your day!
  • recover_healthy_fit
    recover_healthy_fit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I should also mention that I don't track dinners anymore unless it's something that I'm able to track like a pita from Pita Pit because their site has a calculator and gives the best estimate. Or things like quinao salads from the grocery store that already have the nutrition facts and the database has them. they even have already made chicken breasts with the facts right behind the glass so you can see it before you buy it. Other than stuff like that, I don't track dinner anymore like I use to...But if it's something like veggies, an egg white omelette, and a side of wild brown rice or the quinoa salad, I'll track that. if it's easy enough to weigh and measure before hand, I'll track it.

I use to weigh, measure, and track dinner before my Mom prepared and cooked it, but I stopped because I felt like a huge problem and still do...I just guess and usually don't eat all of the dinner, but more so if it's not healthy and I know it would put me way over....I'm scared of shocking my metabolism like I already have and store even more fat...

So I do eat more than what my diary says for most days....
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I took a peak at your diary to see how many calories you have to work with. It looks like you're not always making it to your 1200 calorie goal sometimes between 400 and 700 off. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too terribly much about this one dinner out. If you want fish and chips get the small order or the large and box up half to go so you can enjoy it later. Get what you want, eat slowly, and enjoy the time with your family. Try not to stress over this too much. Do the best you can, because unless you go completely crazy and eat three or four days worth of calories in one meal you should be fine.

This^ and have ice cream for desert.
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    And plans have been changed, so we're not going. but I know my Mom and Dad will want to go soon..
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Chicken burger, hold the mayo or sauce and just have the lettuce and tomato, coleslaw and a scoop of ice cream, no cone for dessert!! If you can forego 1/2 the bun, you wont feel as bloated or over full, but even with the whole bun, not a bad meal and I am sure yummy!!
  • bonnycreed
    Options
    Everyone has great ideas in the posts above. I think the best one I saw was to eat slowly! Your body and your brain don't talk to one another as quickly as your eyes and your stomach do, lol. It takes about 20 minutes for your body to tell your brain when you are full. If you eat slowly and enjoy a meal when you go out, you will eat less. Also, try to avoid alcohol with dinners, as alcohol lowers inhibitions and makes you eat a whopping 65% more than you would otherwise!

It may interest you to know that people who are most successful at maintaining a healthy weight have sweets around their house, and keep them in eye's view so they are more adjusted to seeing them over time and dealing with those kinds of situations. You can always start with something small, as colors catch the eye. I recommend getting a glass container (a pretty one for your kitchen counter), and putting some Fruit Loops in. Then if you crave some, a handful of them won't hurt you. You can work your way up to having lemon drops in the jar and having one every once in a while, then chocolate in the future. It really will help your brain face these situations better in the future. Good luck!
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    Everyone has great ideas in the posts above. I think the best one I saw was to eat slowly! Your body and your brain don't talk to one another as quickly as your eyes and your stomach do, lol. It takes about 20 minutes for your body to tell your brain when you are full. If you eat slowly and enjoy a meal when you go out, you will eat less. Also, try to avoid alcohol with dinners, as alcohol lowers inhibitions and makes you eat a whopping 65% more than you would otherwise!

It may interest you to know that people who are most successful at maintaining a healthy weight have sweets around their house, and keep them in eye's view so they are more adjusted to seeing them over time and dealing with those kinds of situations. You can always start with something small, as colors catch the eye. I recommend getting a glass container (a pretty one for your kitchen counter), and putting some Fruit Loops in. Then if you crave some, a handful of them won't hurt you. You can work your way up to having lemon drops in the jar and having one every once in a while, then chocolate in the future. It really will help your brain face these situations better in the future. Good luck!

That's an interesting idea. Never heard of it before. Thank you
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    One day is not going to kill you, if you are always under your goal for the week alittle over for one day is nothing. You could always try and fit it in your days target by eat alittle less for the day but for me its about the week Net goals, not the day net goal!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    My opinion is if you are working hard at sticking to your healthy eating limits one dinner won't kill you. You may not feel physically great afterwards, but allow urself to enjoy something you always had before. If you try to always restrict you will start binging. I say workout hard, eat really healthy all day, drink lots of water and go enjoy a dinner with your family!!! You will not destroy everything in one night and family time is really important!!!

This is the best advice here.

You can't let your diet dictate how you live your life either and going out to eat (a normal human social activity) with loved ones shouldn't be seen as awful. We can all get the anxiety before going to restaurants, or friends weddings etc because we're so used to logging food that we're confronted with stuff that we have no information on.

One good meal is not going to make you thin and one bad meal is not going to make you fat. It really is what you do MOST OF THE TIME that determines your shape. Maybe kick back and relax and enjoy the treat with your family. Eat slowly, stop when full and enjoy the conversation/beach/experience and being with people that care about you. :flowerforyou:
  • Flyer69
    Flyer69 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My advice is a little different, I would plan for it.
    1) I would have a massive workout try to get to 1000 calories
    2) Eat very little during the day but plenty of water

Then pick something yummy but not that bad eg fillet steak, pork fillet, chicked breast, duck etc all cooked on the BBQ plus a salad.
    Drink water and go for that yummy ice cream......

Live and love....