Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Decent 5K time for fast(er) runners?

2»

Replies

• Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Goodness you guys are making me look slow, I did my last one in 28.5 minutes and I was the 2nd female in and placed 1st in my age group.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    My 5K times are in the mid to low 19:00 range. The best thing I ever did for my 5K times was train for a marathon. Once I got consistently over 45 miles per week and peaked at over 80 for the marathon, by 5K time dropped dramatically.

More mile, more miles, more miles.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    My PR is 23:48. Pretty proud of that!
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    I started running on 4/30/12. I weighed in at 306 lbs and was in terrible shape, morbidly obese to be exact. I decided to start running using the Galloway Easy 5k app. Since I was convinced there was a good chance of dying on my run I would ran laps around my local fire dept. That way if anything went wrong I could crawl or yell out for help. The first couple of weeks I was averaging around 16 minute miles. After the 5k program I moved up to the 10k program and then the half marathon program. All the while running was helping me drop the weight.

On 8/19/12 I ran my first official 5k and finished it in 27:50. My goal was to beat 30 minutes. On 9/30/12 I ran my first official 10k on my 40th birthday and on the 5 month mark from starting to run. My goal was to beat one hour and I finished it in 54:40. Next up was the Disney World Half Marathon on 1/ 12/13. I wasn't sure what my goal was going to be. All my practice half's were in the 2:30 range. Training in the cold though made me think a 2:20 finish might be possible. When we got to Disney the weather was much warmer than normal so a fast race was unexpected. Once the race started I had to use the bathroom in mile 1 so I thought 2:30 might be a reach. I pushed myself though and ran the best I ever had. I finished with a 1:56,44 time abd best of all weighing 191 lbs, down 115 from the start of my running. After the Half I was a little burned out on running so I focused on spin class and other cardio classes.

On 5/18/13 I ran my first race in 5 months. It was a 5k and my goal was to beat my fastest practice 5k time of 24:59. I ended up running it in 22:04. In the race I ran my fastest mile ever at 6:19. The next weekend was a special race for me. It was the charity 10k for the fire dept that I ran laps around a year earlier. My goal for the race was to beat my best practice 10k time of around 52 minutes. I finished this race in 47:04.

I am currently training for my next race, the Dumbo Double Dare race at Disneyland. This is a combination of a 10k on Saturday and then a half on Sunday. I am going to go a little easier for these two races though.

Dangit that's inspiring! Well done! :)
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Fastest 5K time: 32:13 and 3rd in my age division. Mind you I have done nine 5ks.

I am training for both a 10k that I am hoping to run in Oct and a half for next year (I did contemplate on doing it in Dec but feel that I may not make it since it is during winter). People have asked me if I would consider doing a tri or a race here in town called camelback. Honestly, not sure if I would attempt either or though new to my race schedule this year is an obstacle course race.

Best time last year was 35:35, first ever time was 43:03. So far this year with the 3 I have done its been 32:13-34:38. I have accepted that if I get to 28-30 I will be happy (i can't compete with the ones who can run it in 19-22 minutes :grumble: ). So far sadly though the furthest I can run is 4 miles :blushing: , even though longest attempted was 6.
  • Cannon_G
    Cannon_G Posts: 77 Member
    I started running on 4/30/12. I weighed in at 306 lbs and was in terrible shape, morbidly obese to be exact. I decided to start running using the Galloway Easy 5k app. Since I was convinced there was a good chance of dying on my run I would ran laps around my local fire dept. That way if anything went wrong I could crawl or yell out for help. The first couple of weeks I was averaging around 16 minute miles. After the 5k program I moved up to the 10k program and then the half marathon program. All the while running was helping me drop the weight.

On 8/19/12 I ran my first official 5k and finished it in 27:50. My goal was to beat 30 minutes. On 9/30/12 I ran my first official 10k on my 40th birthday and on the 5 month mark from starting to run. My goal was to beat one hour and I finished it in 54:40. Next up was the Disney World Half Marathon on 1/ 12/13. I wasn't sure what my goal was going to be. All my practice half's were in the 2:30 range. Training in the cold though made me think a 2:20 finish might be possible. When we got to Disney the weather was much warmer than normal so a fast race was unexpected. Once the race started I had to use the bathroom in mile 1 so I thought 2:30 might be a reach. I pushed myself though and ran the best I ever had. I finished with a 1:56,44 time abd best of all weighing 191 lbs, down 115 from the start of my running. After the Half I was a little burned out on running so I focused on spin class and other cardio classes.

On 5/18/13 I ran my first race in 5 months. It was a 5k and my goal was to beat my fastest practice 5k time of 24:59. I ended up running it in 22:04. In the race I ran my fastest mile ever at 6:19. The next weekend was a special race for me. It was the charity 10k for the fire dept that I ran laps around a year earlier. My goal for the race was to beat my best practice 10k time of around 52 minutes. I finished this race in 47:04.

I am currently training for my next race, the Dumbo Double Dare race at Disneyland. This is a combination of a 10k on Saturday and then a half on Sunday. I am going to go a little easier for these two races though.

Dangit that's inspiring! Well done! :)

Thanks, I am very proud of going from morbidly obese to a 22:04 5k in less than 14 months. I never thought I would be my fastest in my life at over 40. :bigsmile:
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    My best 5k is 26:01 - my target is to get down to 24 mins. Admittedly a year ago I thought this was impossible! I also remember how excited I was a few months back when I broke 30mins (which was my previousn"impossible target").

I'm also targetting a 50min 10k and a 1:50 half marathon - but I guess most of all targetting healthy knees first!!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I've always felt the 20 minute mark was a good goal for "fast" .I haven't cracked it hut got close. If I trained with that as a big priority I'd probably break it.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    This year I ran a 22:43 after failing to break 25 for several years. My next race is less hilly and I'm looking to break 22. My ultimate goal is sub-20 (maybe in a few years).
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    We call Scott "Speedy" :laugh: ......I'd kill for a 25 min 5K and have yet to bust 2hrs for a half-marathon (and I'm pretty middle of the pack for my age group)

Same here. I can run a decent marathon (4:03:03 was my last marathon and personal best) but tried to run under a 25-min 5K and no dice!! Still working on it!!