Thinking of going vegetarian. Advice?

Options
I'm thinking of taking on a mostly vegetairan lifestyle. I do like my steak and burgers and pizza and chicken too much to give it up completely, so I would like to go MOSTLY vegetarian. Is this a difficult process? I have no trouble with veggies, I'd much rather have those than other foods most times as it is. I would really like some pointers, or to hear how others have made the switch and if it's more helpful in the long run as far as weight loss and whatnot.

Thanks!!! :-)

Replies

• BenPolonowski
    BenPolonowski Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I eat "mostly" vegetarian. It was not to hard to switch from eating more meat, I simply began to reduce my portion size. I use more quinoa, nuts, avocados, and yogurt for protein.
    For me, the best part of eating less meat is that my vegetable portions are really big.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    For this life choice, I don't think you need to label it as vegetarian or not. Eat what you want to eat; if you want your steak, burgers, pizza, or chicken go for it! Play around and substitute meat dishes for other things (eg. try a vegetarian Mediterranean pizza instead of a sausage/pepperoni/etc.).
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hi MinnieM83,

For me, becoming a vegetarian was easy, I saw a programme on tv about animals, I won't go into details but I just thought to myself that I didn't want to be part of the whole killing animals to eat etc...
    I liked the taste of meat so thought I would go back to it but I haven't and am not tempted.

I think it would be difficult to give up certain meats, what are your reasons for wanting to became a " half vegetarian "

If its a weight loss plan and only a weight loss plan then it probably won't work as vegetarian food can be very high in calories too.

Good luck. xx
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    NO don't do it! I was "mostly" vegetarian for 3 years, generally only ate fish out side of veggies and it caused my iron levels to go supper low and by end of last year I could barely function. It has taken me 6 months to get back on track but I bet I wasn't functioning at full capacity for at least a year out of the the 3!

A vegetarian lifestyle is great whatever your reasons but you need to eat a much greater amount of green veg to get your required Iron.

Just make sure you take supplements. I say everything in moderation.
  • FerociousKoala
    FerociousKoala Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for quite a while until I gave up because I needed easier/cheaper protein for sports. It was easiest for me to wean myself off of it while also replacing your proteins with vegetable/dairy sources. I would also mark a special day on the calendar to go out and treat myself to something meaty. Also, don't keep meat in your fridge or you will be tempted by it until you get out of the habit of craving meat for protein.
    There are plenty of veg substitutes that aren't too bad and are packed with protein like black bean burgers.
    I also have a friend who weaned herself by simply cutting red meat out, then cutting poultry out, etc. Until she was 100% vegetarian and she's still going strong 2 years later.
    Just find out what works best for you and use all of your willpower to try new foods and cut out those cravings!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    NO don't do it! I was "mostly" vegetarian for 3 years, generally only ate fish out side of veggies and it caused my iron levels to go supper low and by end of last year I could barely function. It has taken me 6 months to get back on track but I bet I wasn't functioning at full capacity for at least a year out of the the 3!

A vegetarian lifestyle is great whatever your reasons but you need to eat a much greater amount of green veg to get your required Iron.

Just make sure you take supplements. I say everything in moderation.
    I'm a vegetarian and my iron is fine. I hardly ever eat vegetables unless you count tomato sauce on pizza as a vegetable. I just take a vitamin with iron in it. Even before I started taking the vitamin my iron was fine.

The most important thing to do is to make sure you eat enough complete proteins (egg whites and whey are great) and to make sure you don't eat too many carbs.

Also, watch out for hidden animal parts in food. Check for gelatin, glycerin, stearic acid, rennet, etc. on food labels.
  • MinnieM83
    MinnieM83 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you SO much everyone!!! This has helped me immensely!! :-)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Meat is delicious, don't do it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^ This.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

^ This.
    Some plants eat meat, so they must be delicious.:happy:
  • dynamiteglow
    dynamiteglow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok Homework: Watch Food Matters and Forks Over Knives. Then you will have some kind of an educated opinion which may help you make a decision. You can find them at the Library or on Netflix:-) Enjoy!
  • SkepticallyFit
    Options
    It's very easy to get your iron on a vegetarian diet. Oatmeal, oat flakes, pretty much all veggies, nuts/almonds, beans. Probably others, but the point is you can get plenty of iron (I currently get too much). I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian, so I also eat cheese and eggs, which provides more iron as well as B vitamins. However, like any specialized diet, you have to be conscious of what you're eating. Switching to a vegetarian diet is actually great motivation to become more health conscious, instead of the autopilot eating that plagues most people.

Just make sure you don't skimp on the protein and healthy fat (such as olive oil). Veggies alone won't fill you up.
  • Eyesee
    Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I never got that whole "I had to go back! Iron/protein deficiency!" thing. I'm sure a few people have rare conditions that made this occur, but more likely I'd probably bet they just missed bacon. (Which is fine, but just be honest about it.)

I've been a vegetarian for 15 years, for a few of them I earned awards doing competitive sports, I really didn't eat very many veggies either, or even take a daily vitamin except for when I remembered occasionally. My blood results have always been excellent (even since I have gotten fat) and this is also true of the many vegetarians and vegans that I know. (Though the vegans have to eat more vegetables than us!) Also, I've been tracking food on and off for 5 years, and I've always met/exceeded the protein goals of the day when I met my calories without even trying. Almost everything has protein in it, especially if you still eat eggs, milk, and cheese, or if you eat stuff like veggie hotdogs, sausage and burgers. There are even really yummy veggie chicken nuggets (though they're kind of expensive).

I agree on watching Forks Over Knives. Haven't seen Food Matters yet, but I'm going to check it out since the other person recommended it. Good luck! :D
  • Eyesee
    Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Also, there's a cool "21 Day Kickstart" thing that my mom lost 17 pounds doing. Here's their Facebook page, there's a book that goes along with it: https://www.facebook.com/21DayKickstart
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    What you're referring to if called "flexitarian". People that are flexitarian stick to a mostly vegetarian diet, but eat meat once in awhile and usually that's something like twice a week to once a month...ect..

Think of the foods you already like and think of ways to make them vegetarian like tacos, use beans, no meat. Pasta, added veggies like zucchini, not meat, ect, it's not very hard.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options

I'm a vegetarian and my iron is fine. I hardly ever eat vegetables unless you count tomato sauce on pizza as a vegetable. I just take a vitamin with iron in it. Even before I started taking the vitamin my iron was fine.

The most important thing to do is to make sure you eat enough complete proteins (egg whites and whey are great) and to make sure you don't eat too many carbs.

Also, watch out for hidden animal parts in food. Check for gelatin, glycerin, stearic acid, rennet, etc. on food labels.

Just out of curiosity...if you don't eat meat and you don't eat many vegetables or many carbs...what do you eat on a regular basis? Most vegetarians that don't eat many vegetables are generally carb loaders.
  • EyeBite
    EyeBite Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do it! I've been a vegetarian all 26 years of my life but that doesn't mean I eat healthy. Now I'm starting to turn things around and seeing all the nutrients I've been missing out on that I should have gotten as a vegetarian who eat healthfully. Do your research and don't get tripped up on bias "research" and "statistics" that are influenced by the meat or dairy industry. I would go vegan but I really like honey. It's really hard to break habits formed over the years that everyone else considers "normal". You are just going to have to break off and think on your own. Personally, I think vegetarian/vegan are just labels. The idea is to eat nutrient rich foods, excluding animals; and animal products if you are vegan.

Think also on this: if meat is so necessary for fitness and health, why do we have nearly perfectly healthy, vegan/vegetarian professional, athletes? Why do vegetarians/vegans tend to live longer, disease free lives than pepple who aren't?
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    This is easy, eat meat some days and make some delicious vegetarian dishes on other days. There are so many options!
  • EyeBite
    EyeBite Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    *ate