Why is this pizza so high in calories?

Options
TheNavet
TheNavet Posts: 162 Member
Do you know the Dr Oetker pizzas? Or am I the only one?

Anyway, working one into my daily goals and limit isn't a problem but... some of them are just too high in calories to be eaten completely. Like the tuna one. And, oh, it tastes amazing though.
But.
It's 930 calories + for one pizza. :/
And very high in sodium (nope, no weigh in tomorrow)

So, I took a look at their (french) website and guess what the result was? Their pizza 'Al tonno' was indeed the highest one in calories. As a comparison:

Pizza al tonno = 930 calories

While:

Pizza mozzarella = 881 calories
Pizza quattro formaggi = 902 calories (How can that one be lower in terms of calories? Just how :noway: ? And higher in proteins!)
Pizza pollo = 756 calories
And the list goes on. Here is a last one:
Pizza pepperoni = 844 calories

So my question is, how can the tuna pizza be the highest one in calories, with a rather deceptive amount of protein (16.7g for half a pie) and with a lot of fat on the other hand (~22g for half a pizza)? Isn't tuna supposed to be a vaguely leaner source of, well, protein?

I mean, even other 'fish' pizzas from Dr Oetker have less calories :grumble: :
Pizza Mare, Salmone, Tonno e Scampi = 909 calories
Pizza Salmone, Spinaci = 816 calories

Replies

• jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You could always try and justify it by scraping some of the other topping off > : )
  • TheNavet
    Options
    You could always try and justify it by scraping some of the other topping off > : )

Eh, I could, I could, but where would the taste go ? :laugh:
    The main issue, if I can put it that way, is that my mother is over and just... wouldn't appreciate seeing me do such a thing :/
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yup, mothers tend not to be very good at helping with a diet.

Best thing I found was to eat less for breakfast, less during the day, then chomp what I liked in the evening!
  • TheNavet
    Options
    Yup, mothers tend not to be very good at helping with a diet.

Best thing I found was to eat less for breakfast, less during the day, then chomp what I liked in the evening!

I do exactly the same thing! Not always what I appreciate, but oh well, at least it'll allow me to remain within my calorie goal by the end of the day!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

Eh, I could, I could, but where would the taste go ? :laugh:
    The main issue, if I can put it that way, is that my mother is over and just... wouldn't appreciate seeing me do such a thing :/

Ermmm...WHAT taste?? :tongue:

Why are you eating so much Dr. Oetker in the first place though? That stuff is a notorious 'I'm too lazy to cook or to even go out to eat anything, oh wait there's a frozen pizza in the freezer..." food, go for the real stuff half as often and boom, problems solved!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If your calories for the day doesn't allow a whole pizza then just eat half and fill your plate with salad. There's no reason pizza cannot be fitted into your daily goal.

Most of the calories will come from the cheese and the base. The tuna used for that one may have a lot of oil in to stop the tuna drying out when cooked which may account for the extra calories.
  • Leahsz
    Leahsz Posts: 81
    Options
    What the heck is tuna doing on a pizza?
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to cook pizza very often but I have found that if you use a good quality serrated bread knife you can cut a frozen pizza in half quite easily and just cook the amount you want - the rest goes back in the freezer. Unless you like to cook it directly on a hot baking tray in the oven, put a baking tray on the shelf underneath the pizza to catch the cheese drips (you can guess why I know this is a good idea :embarassed: )
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

This.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

This.

WHAT?! Tuna on pizza is amazing.
  • sarahellenx
    Options
    Eat half, save half for tomorrow! That way you get the pleasure for two days. :D

Also omg whoever invented tuna pizza needs a medal it sounds incredible.

Have a good day :D
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Bread + cheese = calories. :(

I can easily eat a whole thin crust pizza on my own. I think that's 1600+ calories depending on the topping.
  • JessieePoooh
    JessieePoooh Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Personally, today I just ate this new recipe for pizza.
    It ended up being:
    2 Slices (2 Servings of 1/6 Pizza)
    403 Cals
    41 Carbs
    17 Fat
    24 Protein
    1k Sodium
    4 Sugars

The ingredients I used are:
    Mama Mary's - Whole Wheat Gourmet Pizza Crust
    Winco - Mozzarella Cheese, 56 g
    Ragu - Pizza Sauce Homemade Style, 63g
    Armour - Turkey Pepperoni 70% Less Fat, 5.28 slices

And I baked it for 10-12 minutes, and it came out pretty delicious - the melted cheese was absolutely amazing. :love:
    It's a high protein, "healthier" pizza than pre-made/fast food pizzas.
    Hope this helps and have a great 4th of July. =)

Edit: If you want to know more about this recipe, I recently found this amazing guy who is working on a cookbook full of amazing recipes. He has a ton of YouTube videos on healthy delicious foods/drinks/snacks/everything. Check him out. Here's the video of how to make the pizza I made today:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xrlUeIq_18

And his channel is:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelKoryFitness/videos
  • TheNavet
    Options
    Sorry, I was off exercising :P

To those asking why I'm eating it, it's mainly because my mother bought it for erm... well me to eat :tongue: (and because I'm an incredible failure at making tuna pizzas :blushing: ). And I can't refuse it :ohwell:
    Though I prefer to do my own definitely!

And I'm not home tomorrow (and I really don't like reheated pizza to be honest :laugh: )

And, tuna on a pizza is heaven :drinker:
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used to love the Funghi one - have half with some frozen garlic bread and shop-bought hummus.
    http://www.oetker.ie/oetker_ie/our_products/frozen_pizza/ristorante/funghi.html

I shudder to think of the calories and sodium in that whole meal - certainly in excess of 1000 calories and a whole day's sodium. And it wasn't even a lovely treat, but a "I can't be arsed cooking"-style dinner.

Not any more though - if I want pizza, I'll go a proper restaurant and eat lovely mushroom pizza made there and then, and take a long time to eat it.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

So my question is, how can the tuna pizza be the highest one in calories, with a rather deceptive amount of protein (16.7g for half a pie) and with a lot of fat on the other hand (~22g for half a pizza)? Isn't tuna supposed to be a vaguely leaner source of, well, protein?

My guess would be that the tuna was soaked in oil. The other types of toppings you mentioned on the other pizzas wouldn't have that addition.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that the tuna was soaked in oil. The other types of toppings you mentioned on the other pizzas wouldn't have that addition.
    This. Also there's a big clue in those figures: a serving size is half a pizza. And 465 calories is pretty good for a main meal - loads of room for a giant side-salad.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

This.

So much of this!!

I got a pizza for me for tomorrow night. Its 800 cals and I am going to enjoy every last one of them. Its my first day off since I got back on the fitness wagon and I am going to indulge.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Being awesome?

Tuna and melted cheese yuuuuuum.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    is it reallythat high? Maybe it's just that brand, because Dominos has a pepperoni slice for 190 calories, and its other pizzas are around 200 cals or lower per slice as well! (64g)