Daily 1200cal ideas

Options
13»

Replies

• rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    1200 cals per day only does one thing, sends your body into starvation mode!! At least 1800-2000 cals of the right food CLEAN food, with exercise and you will lose weight and better still manage to keep it off

Are you sure of this ^^?
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    1200 cals per day only does one thing, sends your body into starvation mode!! At least 1800-2000 cals of the right food CLEAN food, with exercise and you will lose weight and better still manage to keep it off

Are you sure of this ^^?

they're not, you have to be starving to be in starvation mode, that's sooo silly to say. if you don't eat for like 10 days your body will go into starvation mode.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Are you sure of this ^^?

they're not, you have to be starving to be in starvation mode, that's sooo silly to say. if you don't eat for like 10 days your body will go into starvation mode.

Per my registered dietition and doctor there is such a thing as starvation mode but you only go into it when you are eating under 1200 a day. Your body will temporarily store the fat in your body, eventually your body goes out of starvation mode (stops storing the fat) and starts to eat your fat and muscle (anorexia) but that doesn't happen for days.
    My dietition has me on a 1200 calories a day if I don't exercise and 1500 calories a day if I do exercise. I lost 15lbs in 6 weeks doing this. I had a horrible month and put some back on but am now back on track. I think my diary is open if you want to take a look. I generally eat about 250-300 cals for break, 350-400 cals for lunch, 100 cals as a snack and 400-500 cals for dinner.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Are you sure of this ^^?

Per my registered dietition and doctor there is such a thing as starvation mode but you only go into it when you are eating under 1200 a day. Your body will temporarily store the fat in your body, eventually your body goes out of starvation mode (stops storing the fat) and starts to eat your fat and muscle (anorexia) but that doesn't happen for days.
    My dietition has me on a 1200 calories a day if I don't exercise and 1500 calories a day if I do exercise. I lost 15lbs in 6 weeks doing this. I had a horrible month and put some back on but am now back on track. I think my diary is open if you want to take a look. I generally eat about 250-300 cals for break, 350-400 cals for lunch, 100 cals as a snack and 400-500 cals for dinner.

get a new dr and dietician...you have to eat nothing for 72 hours for your body to even begin to think about using muscle for energy...

you can't be starving and eating 1200 calories a day ...that is like saying my car is out of gas but I just put ten gallons into it...
  • alyssabrown94
    Options
    Hello,

So I recently changes my goals on MFP and it now shows a goal of 1200cal a day. I need "daily menu" ideas, anyone eating this many calories a day that can tell me what they eat during the day? Specially packed lunch ideas that go with these counts would be great!

Thanks
    Nat

This isn't exactly a packed lunch but it is my favorite recipe to eat and make, in fact I'm going to have it for dinner:

Protein Pancakes:
    1 scoop protein power
    1/4 cup buckwheat flour(I think any flour would do well, I used to used oat flour)
    1/2 cup egg whites
    1 egg
    1 cup spinach
    1 tsp baking powder
    Cinnamon and stevia to taste

This totals around 360 calories for a fair amount of pancakes. I would say it makes 6-7 four inch pancakes, or 3 really really big pancakes.
  • andresconejo
    andresconejo Posts: 264
    Options
    Usually i eat around 900 cals, my diary is open, feel free to check it out
  • sarapopefitness
    sarapopefitness Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm also at 1200 per day (plus the calories gained from exercise, of course).

I'll tell you what I ate today, to give you some ideas (I'm a creature of habit so this is pretty typical for me):

~Breakfast rarely over 300 calories:

*Smoothie (homemade: banana, plain/greek yogurt, frozen fruit, juice, milk) - around 240 calories
    *Tea with honey and milk

~Lunch is usually around 400 calories:

*Can of cloverleaf tuna (85g) - flavoured (had dill/lemon today, it was great!)
    *3 Wasa Rye crackers (these are awesome to top things on since they have fibre, no fat and only 70 calories for 3)
    *Sugar snap peas
    *Grapes
    *Pretzel sticks

I almost always need an afternoon snack:

*Oikos greek yogurt (80 calories)

By the time I get to dinner I often only have 300-400 left. I usually exercise, and that gives me more calories to spare. But if not, I have a simple dinner like Thai Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps (MY FAV!)

I like most of my calories during the day, and have a light dinner and light evening snack. Everybody is different, this just works for me.

:)
  • sarapopefitness
    sarapopefitness Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I really hope you mean 1900.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I used to have baked chicken breast, slice and 2-3 ounces of it.. 2 tablespoons of avocado, leaf lettuce, tomato slice. Low calorie and pretty good. Oh, bake the chicken with OLD BAY original or blackened. The flavor is great! Today I just had a breakfast sandwich.. 100 calorie high fiber english muffin, 1/4 cups shredded low fat mozzerella cheese, 4 slices ham (about 60 calories worth), 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites. I just love those things anytime of day.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite lunches is a pouch of wild caught pink salmon mixed with hot sauce stuffed in a bell pepper with some salad on the side. If you are hungry early, try starting the day with Scramblers or poached eggs. I like soft poached eggs with a runny yolk; I just don't clean the plate with toast and end up getting some yolk for flavor but rinsing a lot away. I eat almost no bread and I do not snack during the day time. Doing that, I can have just about any breakfast or lunch that is reasonably light.

Eggs are such an excellent food, they are one of my absolute favourites!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options

Starvation mode, yeah, people like to go on about starvation mode all the time here, that is basically because it gives them lots of excuses to eat, eat, eat.

Some of us don't continually think about food, those that eat lots are the ones that do that.

And I have lost over 5 stone since eating 1800-2000 calories every day and training hard. It wasn't until I ate more of the RIGHT foods that I noticed any decent change, not just to the scales, but whole body shape. So I know exactly what I am talking about. Eating 1200 makes the scales look smaller, but it isn't pure fat loss - it's muscle loss that makes it look smaller and then if you decide to eat RDA of 2000 to live a normal life for the rest of your life you find you put weight on because your body isn't used to it anymore.. 2000 of clean foods isn't eating like a pig, it is fuelling your body properly. And funnily enough I have a friend who is fully qualified in nutrition and Personal Training and HE does know exactly what he is talking about - he has only ever had one client in his career who was overeating, majority of them (and mainly women) undereat - therefore body stores fat.

I didn't say you ate like a pig, I said I did when I put weight back on.

and you are wrong re storing body fat, if the body needs energy it will use the fat that the person has already stored from eating too much.

You have to remember one big factor here - namely, you are just 25 years old, I am 53 and have gone through the menopause - that may not seem like much to you, but wait until you are the same age or have gone through the menopause yourself and see if you are able to lose any weight the same way you do now - everything changes, whether you like it or not.

If you undereat, the body will NOT store fat, I don't care who it is has told you that either. Undereat and you lose weight.

Watch the broscience, it is the bane of this site.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Are you sure of this ^^?

get a new dr and dietician...you have to eat nothing for 72 hours for your body to even begin to think about using muscle for energy...

you can't be starving and eating 1200 calories a day ...that is like saying my car is out of gas but I just put ten gallons into it...

I never said you could starve on 1200 calories a day as that is what I eat. I said under 1200, and by the way are you an MD or registered dietitian? Because if not I think I will stick with them. I also said that you have to be anorexic (not eat for days) for your body to use it's muscle for energy, but your body will start off by storing the fat first if you don't eat enough calories in a day.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I never said you could starve on 1200 calories a day as that is what I eat. I said under 1200, and by the way are you an MD or registered dietitian? Because if not I think I will stick with them. I also said that you have to be anorexic (not eat for days) for your body to use it's muscle for energy, but your body will start off by storing the fat first if you don't eat enough calories in a day.
    Wow. Just, wow. Do you realize how totally illogical that is?
    Muscle only supplies 600 calories per pound and has an important job in your survival. Fat supplies 3500 calories per pound and its only job is to supply the body with energy during periods of eating at a deficit. It can only provide 31.4 calories per pound of fat per day, so if your needs go beyond that then there will be loss of lean mass also.
    I don't believe an RD told you that 1200 is a magic number for everyone.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Are you sure of this ^^?

Ok I stand corrected..and you are still wrong. Again, you have to eat nothing, zero, zilch, nada for 72 hours to be in starvation mode. Feel free to read the studies at www.leangains.com.

Just because someone is an MD does not make them a genius. Dr Oz is a cardiologist and 90 percent of the crap on his show is total BS.

I guess I could go online and take a three month course and be a registered dietician..would you believe me then?
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    This thread makes me sad. Food is not the enemy.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
  • andresconejo
    andresconejo Posts: 264
    Options

I really hope you mean 1900.

No, 900, i'm actually getting back on track adding more calories every couple of weeks... this nad the next week i'll go for 900 and the next one 1000...
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Are you sure of this ^^?

Ok I stand corrected..and you are still wrong. Again, you have to eat nothing, zero, zilch, nada for 72 hours to be in starvation mode. Feel free to read the studies at www.leangains.com.

Just because someone is an MD does not make them a genius. Dr Oz is a cardiologist and 90 percent of the crap on his show is total BS.

I guess I could go online and take a three month course and be a registered dietician..would you believe me then?

if you could become a registered dietician in 3 months per online courses, i'd love to see that in action! if it was as easy as that, i wonder why anyone go to school for 4+ years if they could have those degrees in hand in 3 months.

don't bring yourself down to the level of the crazy "starvation-mode" obsessed quacks and start talking nonsense. you start to sound just as crazy as they do.
  • alisam567
    alisam567 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Set yourself to lose 1lb a week, and sedentary, then eat back all your exercise calories. MFP reset me to 1240 when I'd lost 20lb but that was way too low 9even with crazy exercsie) so its now set to 1400 plus eating exercsie calories, and I'm still losing.

Height 5'5''
    Weight 165lb
    I agree with this. I started on 1200 eating back my exercise cals - fine when I am training! on a rest day 1200 was impossible without feeling seriously deprived! I am not prepared to feel deprived I want to eat the good stuff! Deprivation is always going to lead to failure (on the whole) however having read numerous posts on what I should be eating and calculating my TDEE I decided to ignore all the online calculators! Instead on a rest day I wore my HRM for 4 completely sedentary hours - (sleeping for two of those) so that I could work out an average sedentary calorie burn (i.e doing nothing) This came out at 106 cals per hour which I adjusted to 90 cals per hour to take into account I was awake for half the time, totalling 2160 in any given day. I now have my net cals at 1400 but make sure I eat 80% of my exercise calories and no longer stress if I go for a meal and make unhealthy choices! A bit of unhealthiness is soooo healthy now and again!! ;-) In reality this means I eat 2000 cals per day gross (at least). I plan my meals and eat 5/6 times per day. My weight loss has not been huge since i started on mfp (but over a stone since I started working out!) but my inch loss and body composition change has been immense. I think it gets tiresome when people preach at you for eating 1200 cals per day and you do have to do what you feel is right. But if you are struggling then give yourself a break.... it does work.