Medifast 'Take Shape for Life'

Options
Hi, I am looking for a few supportive friends who are also doing the Medifast 'Take Shape for Life'.

Replies

• tyanna68
    tyanna68 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started again on medifast this week! I lost before a couple years ago but put it back on. I didn't do the maintenance like I was supposed too.
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would advise caution in getting involved with that program. The calorie allowance seems to be dangerously low for safe weight loss.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8111607_cons-shape-life.html
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi! I lost 75lbs and have kept it off for almost two years. The program was recommended to me by my doctor (and it is VERY SAFE). Welcome! Your going to love it!
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Not all doctors would recommend it, especially for people that are not extremely obese. My neighbor tried Medifast a few years ago and had to quit after a week because she didn't have enough energy to get through the day when she was following their eating plan.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/334913-medifast-diet-dangers/
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Not all doctors would recommend it, especially for people that are not extremely obese. My neighbor tried Medifast a few years ago and had to quit after a week because she didn't have enough energy to get through the day when she was following their eating plan.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/334913-medifast-diet-dangers/

Everything isn't for everybody. Her experience may be different AND successful. We all have to do what works for us. :flowerforyou: I hope it works well for you. My supervisor did that diet and lost 60lbs on it. She has maintained it since then. I know I could not do it because it seems pricey and she ate nothing but soy. So, that is not for me, but I wish you well on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Unless one is going to use Medifast for life, then like most diet statistics, weight regain is probable.

Save your money and actually learn how to eat foods that you would eat daily in the correct portions. It's basically learning calorie deficit which is what all diets move everyone towards anyway.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MCLA4mom
    Options
    By the way, I no longer use the products and I have kept my weight off by eating healthy fresh food and making good choices. I also apply all of the healthy habits that I learned while doing the program through the curriculum and coaching support.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Unless one is going to use Medifast for life, then like most diet statistics, weight regain is probable.

Save your money and actually learn how to eat foods that you would eat daily in the correct portions. It's basically learning calorie deficit which is what all diets move everyone towards anyway.

IDEA Fitness member

^This. Almost all Medifast users gain most if not all of the weight back when they go off Medifast. Medifast was originally developed for bariatric surgery patients, and it honestly should not be used if you just need to lose weight. It is probably one of the worst diets out there and I hope you reconsider. It's great that you want to lose weight and be healthier but this is not the best way to do it, it's probably one of the worst.
  • MCLA4mom
    Options
    It was not origionally developed for bariatric patients. It was developed for patients that needed to undergo surgery but were too obese to safely go under anesthesia. The patients would lose their weight, have their surgery, wake up and eat crappy food. Just like any other diet. If you treat it as a diet you will gain it all back and then some. You will learn absolutely nothing from eating meal replacements. BUT if you treat it as a PROGRAM and actually use the curriculum to make the INTERNAL transformation, it is an AMAZING program. It incredibly safe. Created by doctors from Johns Hopkins Medical University and had gone through several clinical studies ( you can find them online). Its been around for more than 20 years. Endorsed by more than 10,000 doctors.
    In full disclosure I am a Take Shape For Life Certified Health Coach. The program changed my life. It taught me more about myself, my health and my choices than anything I had tried (and I tried it all). I needed a very structured program. I needed to take a step back from my choices in order to truly examine them. Eating meal replacements for a short time did that for me. Its not for everyone. I think that most people who have negative opinions about the program have not really looked into it. There is a lot mot to it than being in a calorie deficit. You are eating 6 small meals a day and learning to balance your blood sugars. That was magical for me (being insulin resistant when I started) I still eat 6 small meals a day.
    You will see that everyone has an agenda when you are trying to make decisions like this. The "health Coach" tells you its an amazing program (it worked for her). The "Trainer" says its "probably the worst program out there (They want you to work out A LOT and this program does not have enough calories to sustain heavy work outs when your in the weight loss phase). the best thing you can do is ignore everyone, do your own research, and figure out what is best for you!
  • mjones6599
    mjones6599 Posts: 129
    Options
    Amen!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Jeesh the judgy Mc Judgers come out even on an Intro topic....Welcome to MFP....whatever diet your on ..I hope you find friends here that are supportive....
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I was doing Medifast, until I figured out that I am not tolerant of soy. In very small amounts, no problem, but in the majority of my food, big problem!

Loved the program, loved that it really turned my appetite around and I was only rarely hungry. Didn't particularly like some of the meals, but concentrated on those I did like.

This was ok'd by my doctor, which is always a good idea when restricting calories severely. Since going off Medifast I am following the principals, with healthy groceries in moderate proportions. Medifast laid the groundwork and I am following through with it. I am a lot more lenient in what I eat, and I am losing more slowly, but am learning a new lifestyle for health.

Dr. A, who started the program bases it on sound principals and just makes it convenient for people through Medifast. His book describes the program and how to get the same results without eating Medifast meals, if someone is so inclined.

Good luck OP, it's a great plan and has helped many people lose and keep off their weight! Just know that transition is just as important as losing the weight, as it will help you keep from re gaining!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    The "health Coach" tells you its an amazing program (it worked for her). The "Trainer" says its "probably the worst program out there (They want you to work out A LOT and this program does not have enough calories to sustain heavy work outs when your in the weight loss phase). the best thing you can do is ignore everyone, do your own research, and figure out what is best for you!
    Actually "the trainer" never mentioned anything about exercising a lot. And yes Medifast is approved by doctors, but is one of the only programs that pays the physician. Good incentive to sell the idea. And MLM's are notorious for overcharging for product to support the income of all the "middlemen" on an MLM chain.
    We're talking about food here. Not special food. Just food.

IDEA Fitness member
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder.............:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

14. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising
    a) You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator