1200 not enough?

Options
MFP has recommended me 1200 calories a day which is what I have been trying to stick to.
I have noticed that I am feeling kind of foggy headed and can't really seem to think straight. Also I have been feeling tired and kind of irritable. Should I increase my calories? I feel like when I eat anything more than 1200 I don't lose weight.
I thought all of this was happening because I was dehydrated (which it may be) but I have been trying to drink lots of water and that doesn't seem to help.

Stats:

110 lbs
5"2'

Replies

• lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    So.... you are at the perfect weight for your height. You are the same as me. You don't need to lose weight. Maybe tone up? In which you would need more calories to build some tone and abs if that's what you desire. Why are you at 1,200?

How often do you workout?

I believe 1,200 is way too low. Your body may go into starvation mode.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    So.... you are at the perfect weight for your height. You are the same as me. Why are you at 1,200?

How often do you workout?

I believe 1,200 is way too low. Your body may go into starvation mode.

This
  • Spazgirl0228
    Options
    I usually work out around 3 times a week. I am not really sure how much I should actually be eating?

I know 110 is the right weight for me, but I guess I have a hard time getting out of that "weight loss" mode unfortunately :/
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    Weight loss should not be your goal. Toning? YES.
  • Dannie23187
    Options
    The advice i was given was to up 1-200calories a week and see how you go. I want to lose weight so was worried id not lose any. Did start first week or so but was on 1200 and was hungry alot! And didn't eat back after exercise
    ive upped it to 1495, still don't eat all, but am more satisfied and still loosing ???? x
  • awie11
    awie11 Posts: 44
    Options
    What? To Maintain your weight you should be eating around 1600 if your lightly-moderately active. Your at the IDEAL weight for a person who is 5'2". I don't understand why you're eating 1200 in the first place.

Calculate your TDEE and eat that amount everyday. You should maintain your weight by doing so.
    Here's a pretty accurate one
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I usually work out around 3 times a week. I am not really sure how much I should actually be eating?

I know 110 is the right weight for me, but I guess I have a hard time getting out of that "weight loss" mode unfortunately :/

Wort out your TDEE, eat that many calories and do some strength training
  • Antoine112
    Antoine112 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi... I was put on a 1200 calorie diet as well. I don't think I feel hungry because I can continue to eat healthy foods throughout the day. You've just got to eat the right stuff...foods that are low in calories and nutritious. Also , on the days you exercise the amount of calories burned during your workout, is then added to your daily ration!
  • clemson20
    clemson20 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have been struggling with losing weight right now.
    I want some meal suggestions of what to eat on a 1200 calorie diet.
    It seemed to help bring my weight back down in the past.
    I am 5'6 at 150.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    with only 5 lbs to lose I would suggest you set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week and eat back all the cals you burn from exercise. The less you have to lose the slower your loss should be
  • jadermary
    jadermary Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    with only 5 lbs to lose I would suggest you set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week and eat back all the cals you burn from exercise. The less you have to lose the slower your loss should be

This!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If MFP gave you a goal of 1200 cals it's probably because you said you wanted to lose 2lbs per week. Change your goals to lose only 0.5 or 1lb per week which should probably put you up to around 1400 cals.

Plus, you should be logging your exercise calories and eating them back so that your NET figure at the end of the day reaches your goal.
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm petite as well and what I've done is set up my goal calories to maintain my desired weight as MFP tries to force me onto too few calories too if I tell it I want to loose. That way I can make sure I'm under my maintenance goal, but only by a small amount to get the weight off in a more maintainable way. I want the fat off too and not the lean mass so don't want to loose it too fast. This way I also get the joy of being told I'm under my calorie goal when I complete each day whilst still taking in a proper amount of food.