working out in the HEAT help!

Options

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I live in the desert. We try to hibernate in the summer, lol. But when we do go out, heat safety is a must.

Apply a 30 SPF sunscreen at least 20-30 minutes before going out. It needs that much time to bond with the skin. And it's less likely to sweat away as quickly.

Freeze your water bottle overnight, leaving just an inch or two at the top. Top it off with fresh water right before you leave the house. Hold the icy bottle on your pulse points to quickly cool your circulating blood which will cool your body dramatically (Seriously, this one trick is my lifesaver). Drink the liquid water as it melts. Maybe carry two bottles in a backpack if you find you're running out.

Wear loose fitting clothing. Long loose sleeves are actually cooler than sleeveless tops. They allow air to circulate around without getting heated by the sunlight, and they pull heat away from your skin.

Wear a very large brimmed hat and/or carry an umbrella. Seriously, we carry umbrellas for sun not rain around here.

Early mornings are going to be coolest. Around here that means pre-6am. At least pre-8am. Once the sun is up, it's hot and it will stay that way until after midnight.

Walk in shade whenever possible. Find trees or buildings that you can walk near, even if that means abandoning the sidewalk.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I live in northern MA. The heat and humidity have been awful, I know. I'm also in the midst of tri training, so outside running and biking, sometimes for two plus hours is absolutely necessary. My best advice is to get up and get out there EARLY. If you can get outside by 5:30-6am it really does make a difference. Still hot, but at least manageable.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Early in the moring and/or make sure you carry plenty of water/gels/whatever.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yeah, fan didn't really help this morning. I finished my 45 min workout and didn't know what to do first. Crawl in my freezer, drink a gallon of water or take a shower. I was so soaked it was like I had been in a rain shower!
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I live in an area with lots of different immigrants, lots of who have no choice but to walk everywhere a lot. What I've seen, and it works, is using an umbrella. It's like having portable shade. Keeps the sun from hitting you, so you don't heat up as much as you would otherwise. :)

GREAT IDEA, Ill try it
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, I usually walk at our nearest park for exercise, but this heat is killing me. It's also because our house is cape cod style and horrible to try to cool down, so I feel constantly hot. I've shortened my walks to around the neighborhood after 7 p.m. when the sun goes down. But it's still bad. However, the heat has made my appetite go down, esp. around dinner, so I've been having smoothies for dinner or very light no-cook meals. So I guess there's that benefit....lol!

I live in Cape Cod lol. It was 85 by 9am today, I am staying inside which is NOT what I wanted, but Im going to buy an umbrella this weekend and try some other things too for next week.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    The EC is brutal right now! 2 days ago, I was wearing long sleeved shirts, and yesterday, I could barely breathe. Gross Gross Gross! I can't add to what others have said (love the umbrella idea!) but I wanted to give the OP major kudos for walking to and from the gym. That's some serious dedication, and it will pay off.
    Options
    I live in the desert. We try to hibernate in the summer, lol. But when we do go out, heat safety is a must.

Apply a 30 SPF sunscreen at least 20-30 minutes before going out. It needs that much time to bond with the skin. And it's less likely to sweat away as quickly.

Freeze your water bottle overnight, leaving just an inch or two at the top. Top it off with fresh water right before you leave the house. Hold the icy bottle on your pulse points to quickly cool your circulating blood which will cool your body dramatically (Seriously, this one trick is my lifesaver). Drink the liquid water as it melts. Maybe carry two bottles in a backpack if you find you're running out.

Wear loose fitting clothing. Long loose sleeves are actually cooler than sleeveless tops. They allow air to circulate around without getting heated by the sunlight, and they pull heat away from your skin.

Wear a very large brimmed hat and/or carry an umbrella. Seriously, we carry umbrellas for sun not rain around here.

Early mornings are going to be coolest. Around here that means pre-6am. At least pre-8am. Once the sun is up, it's hot and it will stay that way until after midnight.

Walk in shade whenever possible. Find trees or buildings that you can walk near, even if that means abandoning the sidewalk.

I love everyones comments but this was really helpful too. THANK YOU ALL.
    Options
    The EC is brutal right now! 2 days ago, I was wearing long sleeved shirts, and yesterday, I could barely breathe. Gross Gross Gross! I can't add to what others have said (love the umbrella idea!) but I wanted to give the OP major kudos for walking to and from the gym. That's some serious dedication, and it will pay off.

Thank you so much! Im from Seattle where heat is not an issue lol, so I have to learn how to do this health thing in the heat :D
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I canvassed for an environmental group a couple of summers ago. I would work in the heat in Texas for about 6 hours per day. The key is water. Drink plenty. If you run out of water halfway through maybe take two water bottles. Drinking coconut water prior to your walk can help you stay hydrated as well. If there is one, always walk on the shady side of the street. It will be about 5 degrees cooler. A hat or some kind of head protection can work wonders, as well.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You are incredibly dedicated and an inspiring ! I usually walk twice a day, for a total of 2-2 1/5 hrs in the Texas heat & humidity. I take two frozen 24 oz water bottles. I drink one while walking and leave one in my car to drink post walk. I also try to have a banana in my car also to help recover. I also wear a visor to keep the sun off my face, but let my head breathe. Maybe this will help.
  • carla1958
    carla1958 Posts: 30
    Options
    if you can cool off the back of your neck your whole body feel cooler. Use the water to soak a cloth around the back of your neck a little at a time. Also they do have portable fans, tiny ones. And wear a hat. Good luck, don't give up!!
  • MikeDasTrainer
    Options
    You have to acclimatize your body to work in the heat. You cannot simply jump in to where you were when your body has to work extra hard to cool.

2 simple ways to acclimatize to your enivroment are :10-14 days, low intensity long duration (<50% VO2max, 60-100 min) mod intensity short duration (75% VO2max,30-35 min)

That, and as said by others. Drink a lot of water!
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    You are inspiring with your long walks. One thing I do when the weather is too hot, or even rainy or too cold, is I walk inside at a big warehouse club Ike Costco. I walk the aisles any store that is cold when I need to get out of heat. I realize you may be far away from such a store, but if not, it might be an alternative. Just don't walk with a shopping cart or you'll buy things, LOL.

I think the ideas people mentioned so far are fantastic. Be sure to hydrate well, you need the extra after in the heat. I have one of these camel back vests for hiking, wonder if you fill it with cold water and refrigerate/freeze whole thing so it's cool, would that help you stay cooler and carry more water with you? May not be practical, just a thought.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I would go just before sunrise or just after dusk. I always go at sunrise and it is much cooler (in the Midwest) than after the sun has been out. I am not a morning person, but love the cooler temp that early.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Oh, one more thing. Drinking water makes you have to pee more, lol. Which flushes out electrolytes from the body. Sweating also pushes electrolytes out. You have to replace the water, but you also have to replace the electrolytes or you risk heat exhaustion/stroke. Gatorade is OK, but it's pure sodium. Try to go more for the potassium side of it. Oranges, orange juice, peaches, bananas, anything with potassium. It will help you hold the water inside your body more efficiently.
    Options
    I LOVE ALL of your responses!!!! TY guys, I feel like I have something to work with now!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I am from MA too, so I can sympathize with you. Can you work out early in the morning? I have been going for run at about 5 am. It's light out and still cool enough that I don't feel like I could fall over.
    Options
    I am from MA too, so I can sympathize with you. Can you work out early in the morning? I have been going for run at about 5 am. It's light out and still cool enough that I don't feel like I could fall over.

I cant because I have a 6 yr old and Im a single mom, I dont want to leave the house for that long. BUT, Im going to take every other suggestion that I actually can. Some heat wave in MA huh? Stay cool :D
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    TEXAS.......nuff said. HOT from 6am till mid September !! Treadmill....