Counting everyday chores/walking

Options
I am fairly new to MFP so if this has been asked previously, please forgive and bear with me. Anyway, my question is whether people track the walking you do in the course of the day with your housework and the like? I don't wear a pedometer (maybe I should??) but was thinking that when I'm home doing laundry and what not, that I walk a fair bit and shouldn't that count for something?

Replies

• courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It really depends....some people count it, others don't. I particularly don't, especially if you have your mfp activity level set to anything above sedentary....those are normal daily activities. Now, if I'm close on calories and still hungry and it's been a day that i've done a lot more movement for whatever reason, I won't sweat it as much, but I don't personally log them. If you're going for a walk like exercise, I'd say count it, otherwise it's a normal daily thing that gets figured into your daily calories already.
  • kris472
    kris472 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I only count intentional workouts. MFP allows you to choose your normal activity level, so I figure that takes into account the housework and whatnot. If I mow the lawn or move furniture or something major like that, I count it because it is not part of my typical day. Otherwise, I only count intentional workouts.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    This is one of many highly contentious topics on mfp. Whether or not you count it really depends on how your activity level is set with mfp. It doesn't count as "exercise" per se, but it does burn more calories than sitting on the couch. If your activity level is sedentary, that means it's counting almost nothing for regular everyday activity. If your activity level is set higher than sedentary, some of those regular everyday activities are included.

The challenge in counting these regular everyday activities is that it's very difficult to gauge how much you actually burn. While you're shopping, you're walking some, stopping some, standing in line, looking at this, looking at that. You may have been at the store for 3 hours, but how much of that time were you actually walking and at what speed? It's easy to over estimate, and if you eat back those calories, you could be eating back more than you actually burned.

Most people seem to generally not count normal everyday chores and activity. If you really do these things every day, and your activity level is set to sedentary, consider upping it to lightly active and your normal everyday stuff will be counted.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Personally for me, If it's just part of my normal everyday routine I don't count it, like walking to the bus, washing floors, laundry or walking for work purposes.
    If its something not typical to my day I mgiht count it, such as a lot of gardening, or deep cleaning/organizing moving furniture.
    I figure I was doing all those everyday things before I decided to make changes, it shouldnt impact my activity now.
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    If it is something you do everyday, no I would not count it. But if it is some thing out of the ordinary like moving furniture or mowing the yard, then yes count it. BUT the way count is at half time. If you were moving boxes for a total of 4 hours, you most likely took some breaks so you can't really count a full 4 hours ya know? I do that because it makes me feel a little less guilty about counting cleaning as a work out lol
  • HappyMeLovely
    HappyMeLovely Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I set my activity level to sedentary and I log the majority of my housecleaning, sometimes I log my cooking. It depends on you. Usually when I add my chores to my calories set by MFP it ends up being around my TDEE-30% so I figure that I will do fine. I have lost 7 pounds in 6 weeks. Just do what feels right and see if it works for you.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I log my walk to/from work purely because it's uphill. Similarly, if I've been working my butt off cleaning, I'll log half of the time and put it was 'gentle' rather than vigorous. I try to downplay it so I get a rough idea of a couple extra calories without kidding myself that I've done more than I actually have. I also walk up stairs where I can, and go out to the shops to buy lunch every day, for example, but I don't cumulate any of that.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I also would only count vigorous jobs not part of your normal routine,such as moving or painting
  • SidsMom80
    SidsMom80 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I log anything that it is out of the norm for me. Go up and down 2 flights of stairs several times a day is something I did before I started MFP, so i don't log it. I will log my after dinner walk, my weights while watching TV, etc. If I'm not expressly doing it as exercise, then I won't count it. I never count laundry, house cleaning, cooking, or other chores.

Be careful you aren't logging too much "exercise" and then eating those calories back. It could be counter-productive. But heck give it a try and see what happens. If it doesn't work stop, if it works keep going.
  • kookanddra
    kookanddra Posts: 92
    Options
    Every day cleaning I don't log but on a Saturday or Sunday when I do deep cleaning that takes me the whole day I'll log half time. But only if that day is a full day of washing floors by hand or wiping down walls or shampooing carpets. things that I don't do during the week.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I only count housework if it is above the normal everyday chores. If I break a sweat and am lifting and hauling (cleaning closets or basement), vacuuming the whole house, including curtains and furniture (hauling vacuum up and down 3 flights of stairs), washing the windows, etc then I count it. Doing dishes, straightening the house, laundry, I don't count that it is built into my activity level.

It is really up to you and how you want to log your meals and exercise. Be honest with yourself, that is all that really matters. This is for you after all.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't count things like vacuuming, laundry, dusting. But chores like stacking wood I do, however I would not count mowing the lawn (of course if you are mowing several acres I might count it).

I guess what I'm saying is I don't count normal life chores as a workout, I count workouts as workouts. I also say to each their own, and if you want to count housework and you have set your profile set as sedentary, shouldn't hurt a thing. Just be careful about giving yourself too much credit, or you may find yourself gaining instead of loosing.

The important thing is you need to have a calorie deficit in order to loose, and you need to workout to become fit. For some of us our daily chores will be enough to be fit, but most of us will need to workout to become fit.

Here' my mantra on things like this ... Find your own balance.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    To nip this in the bud, I bought a fitbit. It's basically a glorified pedometer. I have the Zip, so it tells me steps, calories, miles for every day. I do a good amount of walking/jogging, so I don't input that into the cardio exercise as burned calories. What I do is put: 60 minutes, 1 calorie burned... because at the end of the day, it syncs with MFP and tells me how many calories I burned over my just walking around being alive.
  • kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This actually relates exactly to what I was hoping to ask about, actually. I work 2 jobs this summer; at a pool snack bar and at McDonald's. I've been trying to log my activity at those jobs because they require me being on my feet bustling around, cooking, cleaning, stocking items-lifting heavy boxes or various items around or up and down stairs, etc. However I don't know how I should be logging it-right now I've been logging it as "cooking and food preparation" but only logging half of the amount of time that I worked that day since I don't know exactly what that activity entails or assumes. I'm certainly not lifting heavy stuff or heavily cleaning the whole time, but being on your feet and keeping busy for 10 hours total in a day certainly adds up. Does anyone else have these problems or suggestions on better logging for it?
  • Marbump
    Marbump Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll probably just do as I have been for the past month or so since I've been on MFP which is to count only my actual work-outs. Thanks again and have a great day!