What to Eat Before Exercise (running)

Options
So I'm on week 6 of a Couch to 5k program and can't get past running for 12 minutes straight (which for me is a mile). I start feeling sick if I try to run longer. Do I need to just push through or is it maybe because of my breakfast?

Right now I eat 2 pieces of toast with light peanut butter and a cup of coffee around 8 AM. I do my running around 10 AM. Should I change up my breakfast or something? Would love to get past this sticking point (although I'm so proud to be able to run a full mile for the first time in my life!)

Replies

• Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Must precede this with "I'm not a runner," but I am an endurance cyclist. I have experienced this cycling. Since you run 2 hours after you eat, you may simply be running out of fuel. I generally eat 30-45 min before my workout, enough time to begin digesting, but short enough that it stays with me for a while during the workout. As the workouts become more intense and last longer, you will probably need to refuel. Hammer Gel (or some other product you like) has fixed this for me. Your breakfast sounds fine although others have told me Oatmeal stays with you longer (haven't tried it, hate oatmeal).

Since my rides last as short as an hour and as long as 7 hours, I find that I need more than Hammer Gel, so I also pack a PB sandwich (I don't do jelly, but help yourself you will burn it, I simply don't care for it) I cut it up into little squares and eat one square ever so often. That way I don't have a bunch of food in my stomach, but I have fuel, and bottom line make sure you are hydrated.

Of course I'm cycling and I can carry more things comfortably, but a fuel belt will allow you to carry gel flasks comfortably as well as water.

So with addressing the fuel and hydration ... you may just need to walk till it passes, could be a breathing thing too. Congrats on making it to running a mile without stopping. And here's to your continued success.

Good luck in your training.
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Don't feel pressured to stick with the schedule for C25K. It's a guideline. If you're not feeling it, spend an extra week or two on "Week 5" or "Week 6", whatever you're comfortable with.

Also consider a small snack before (~15 minutes) exercising. I sometimes eat a serving of applesauce before runs along with some water.

Feeling sick sounds odd, though. Usually when I don't eat properly and run I just have very low energy and my runs are not so enjoyable. Sick as in sick to your stomach? Feel lightheaded? Aches?
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Let me say that firstly, I run in the mornings. So for me, dinner (or whatever the last time I eat before I head off for bed) is pretty important. I generally do not eat before I run, but if I do I try to make it atleast 2 hours beforehand. That being said, if you need something before you go out, a piece of toast or perhaps a banana (maybe both) can do just fine. For pre run meals I tend to stay high carb and low fat and protein. Getting the runs during a run is just horrible so....

And yes, with C25K or any type of beginner program, if you feel you might need to repeat a week or even modify it a bit, then do so.

FWIW I run about 45-50 miles a week.
  • emskyrooney
    emskyrooney Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks all- I'm repeating week 6 for the second time. The app I'm using goes from run 10, walk 3, run 10 on day 2 of week 6 to run 22 on day 3- I feel like I"m going to drop after 12 minutes! I've just been running 12 , walking 2, running 8 or so... Maybe I'll just do my own thing and add a minute on each time or something....

The sick that I feel is sort of like a pit in my stomach. Maybe I'm not hydrating enough before I go- coffee probably doesn't help! hard for me to eat right before I go out as I have 2 small children to get to the childcare room at the Y where I run... Will keep trying and eventually I'll get there!
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind coffee is a mild diuretic. I know alot of people drink coffee for runs but sometimes it works against you. Are you keeping hydrated with anything other than coffee? Maybe try a glass of water also?
  • Karlynn1993
    Karlynn1993 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have a banana :) I eat just 1 medium banana before I head to the gym for my run and do a lot of other exercises that lasts me a whole 90 minutes and I don't feel hungry throughout my workout until the end, then I have apples and peanut butter as a post workout snack.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your breakfast should be fine. I will go out for up to 6 miles in the morning on an empty stomach. I will feel sick if I have food in my stomach. If I am going for longer than an hour, I make sure I haven't eaten for at least 2 hours in order to avoid that feeling. Cycling is a completely different story. I think it has to do with food bouncing around in my stomach while running and not during cycling.

I think you may simply need to slow down a bit in order to go longer.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I generally run in the mornings and find it easier to run without anything besides maybe a splash of water depending on how I feel. It sounds like you need to just slow down, put in some miles, and build your endurance. Don't get discouraged, stick with it and it definately gets easier! Good luck.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I second the banana idea! Another alternative is to drink some coconut water right before you run. It has electrolytes and gives a little boost of energy, without all the fake crap in Gatorade type drinks. It might get you through your run.

Like someone else mentioned, I usually run on an empty stomach in the morning (even though this sounded impossible to me before I tried it) Have you tried that? Maybe you are crashing from your breakfast carbs at 10. Maybe try a more complex carb, like oatmeal instead of toast, and add some more protein.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I run mostly in the morning - probably about 15 minutes from getting out of bed. I drink half a pint of squash and I'm okay.

If I'm running later then I have 2-3 hours of not eating beforehand because I can't run well on food without it giving me a stitch! I had some jelly beans before heading out yesterday and had to stop and walk for a while!

I think hydration is key and also just take it at your own pace. I'm running with a friend of mine who has just started and she can't see how well she is progressing. I think it's different for each of us so try and work out what is good for you.

There's some good advice in running magazine's "womens running' or 'runners world' on topics such as this so it might be good to get involved now you're a runner! : )
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    If I run in the morning, i usually blend a banana, milk and some protein powder into my coffee, get dressed and go out about 20min after. After a meal like lunch, I usually wait 1-2 hours.
    The only times I feel sick during runs are when I am dehydrated, take my multivitamin with not enough food, or run too soon after a meal that didn't digest very fast.
    Watch your water intake, not just right before the run, but the day before as well (as in: drink plenty).
    Oh, and bad posture during lifting sometimes causes me nausea, so keep your back and neck straight, and relax your shoulders.
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think slowing down your pace will help. If you are running at a high speed and your HR gets to the upper limits your body cannot utilize the oxygen in your system and you can't breathe effectively.
    I run at various times of the day depending on what life has to offer. Outside I go ten miles at about a 12 min mile and on the treadmill I go 5 miles with a 10 min mile. Not fast but I get it done. i don't usually eat before since it makes me sick to my stomach and causes cramping. I also have to wait about an hour after for the same reasons. I will drink a G2 after the treadmill or around mile 8 when outside.
  • emskyrooney
    Options
    Thanks all! Am going to try again this AM- goal is to run a mile, then walk a few minutes, then run at least another half mile. Been drinking more water this AM than I usually do (usually just have the coffee- can't skip that!) Just hate feeling stuck at this 1 mile thing- glad I got there but thought I'd be farther along by now!
  • emskyrooney
    Options
    thanks for all the help guys- made it to 1.5 miles on Monday and Tuesday and then hit 2 miles yesterday! So proud of myself for not giving up. I slowed my pace from 5.5 to 5 on the treadmill which made a big difference!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...you may simply be running out of fuel.

Highly unlikely after 12 minutes of activity. Most humans store enough glycogen for 90 minutes of moderate to intense activity. Unless the OP is east a zero carb diet, I doubt that this is the issue.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the help guys- made it to 1.5 miles on Monday and Tuesday and then hit 2 miles yesterday! So proud of myself for not giving up. I slowed my pace from 5.5 to 5 on the treadmill which made a big difference!

I found it harder to run on the treadmill especially when I first started to run. Try to run outside... keep your pace to the point where you are not losing your breath. If you feel short of breath slow down a bit... I bet you nail the full 5k!

As for pre-run meals, I almost never eat before I run in the morning if for some reason I am running a bit later I try to stick to something small like a hard boiled egg or a couple pieces of bacon.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Unnecessary for that short distance. If you feel like you need to eat, carbs are your friend
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My best advice for you would be trial and error. What works for some runners may not be the solution for you!

If I am running out of fuel on my run I know right away because I start cramping up. I have my best success eating an hour or so before my run. My favorite pre-run meal is a cup of coffee, a glass of water, and a bagel/toast with peanut butter. If I am running early in the morning I make sure to have a hearty dinner the night before. I've had some of my best morning runs when I felt like I 'binged' the night before.

I also agree with the previous posters. C25K is a great program, but take it at your own pace! I started running with the C25K program spring 2012.....and next Sunday I am running my first 1/2 Marathon! Remember more than half the battle is mental. Keep reminding yourself you can do anything!

GOOD LUCK! :drinker:
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I agree that fuel probably may not be the issue. You probably just need to build up your endurance. Continue what you are doing Id say. When you get tired, walk.