My Downfall

Options
I've been working on losing weight since the end of Feb, or beginning of March. I do well, but my downfall is drinking (beer).

Walking, exercising, eating the perfect amount of calories 95% of the time...

Today, I just got off work and all I wanted was a beer. So I brought two upstairs to update my log for breakfast. I stared at the cans for a while and then I finally gave in. Cracked it, and now I'm drinking beers probably for a good while tonight.

I ate 450 worth of calories today, and the rest I'm "allotted" will probably go to beer and I won't eat again. As terrible as it is, I want to stay under the correct amount of calories =/

The good news is, I'm doing this a lot less than I used to. The last time I drank beer was last Saturday. However, I'm pretty worried what these next days will bring (considering the holiday, weekend, and all).

I'm so close to kicking this habit, just some days my motivation slips a little bit. I call it a habit instead of an addiction because I don't *have* to drink, I just enjoy it. I don't do it everyday, maybe once or twice a week now and it doesn't affect my life any.

Replies

• Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great. You've had success doing that up until now, so you still will. The way I look at is... I don't expect to eat 100% healthy 100% of the time for the rest of my life so am working on balance now (not when it's time for "maintenance" (that's where I've gone wrong in the past and regained)). Sounds like you're doing the same thing. Keep on keeping on! And cheers! :-) :drinker:
  • asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have two suggestions:

1. Light beer. Fewer calories, so you can eat.

2. Consider that if you are 100 calories under each day (assuming you are not eating precisely at BMR) you have 700 calories in the weekend. These can be used for beer if you want. I usually try to look at my weekly average calories, and have set my calorie goal quite low to both give some wiggle room, and so that I don't overeat. Because of this I'm fine with going over once in a while. Exercise "buys"you calories to consume.

It can't be good for you eating only 450 kcal and getting the rest from beer.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Why can't you just stop with just one or two? Especially if you drank a light beer, it would allow for more food. I agree with the other poster - it can't be good for you to only get 450 calories from food and the rest from beer even once or twice a week.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I agree, it will probably be better all around if you can budget weekly for your calories instead of daily. I tend to go over a bit on days I drink (less than I used to!), but I aim to make it up throughout the week.

I have also found that the less I drink, the less it takes me to get buzzed. 2 glasses of wine will do me just fine, most days. If you ween yourself off slowly, maybe you won't need to use such a large portion of your calories for a treat. It's better if more of those go to nutritious foods.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The addiction version of that killed my father in a fairly yucky way, so I'm glad it's not an addiction for you. I tend to do that sort of thing with ice cream or sometimes smartpuffs, eat half a day's worth of food earlier and then 'spend' the rest on the semi-crap. Maybe in your case the light beer helps, or make yourself have a glass of water in between them or (and i know some people would call this heresy) water them down somewhat, especially later in the night, so you get less and more hydration. Good luck--I think eating well the rest of the time will help. With my father, the malnutrition of eating so little (one big meal at night usually) while getting tons of calories etc. from beer only really messed him up.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my favorite beer is 300 calories in one bottle so I can't drink every day. I kicked my cereal habit though and now I can have more beer. I usually have a case of a low-calorie session beer in the house like Yards Brawler. I think I need some Guinness.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I alternate each alcoholic drink with a glass of water, might want to try that so you don't have to cut off beer time before you'd rather. Then you can get some food in, and you'll probably feel better tomorrow for it. It doesn't have to be your downfall, just plan for it and make it work. :)
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Regardless what anyone says, weight loss can be broken down to a simple equation (calories eaten < calories burned = weight loss). How fast you see results depends on the difference between the two factors. So you have a couple of choices. One, you could give up beer (I am not an advocate of this). Two, you can drink that low call fad beer that tastes like fermented urine and stay within your calorie limit (whatever floats your boat). Three, you can put your big boy pants on, record what you drink, find out how much you went over, get your *kitten* out of bed early the next morning and go punish yourself 2x the amount you went over. I pity the people who let their diet completely rule their lives and suck the fun out what little of life's joys we have.
  • treesaaaaap
    treesaaaaap Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you guys so much for the replies. Really should start going with light beer.

I have trouble with just one or two unfortunately. I think it's because I'm such a bigger guy, 6'4/6'5 with a huge tolerance. Takes me around 12 to get a buzz, etc.

I really worked hard this week, and had quite a few calories left over each day from working out, exercising, etc....so maybe I'll be alright one day a week?
  • AzGilrock
    AzGilrock Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can't substitute normal calories with "beer calories" 1:1. The problem is not the calories from the beer but the fact that your body places a higher priority on metabolizing the alcohol so it basically shuts down your normal carb/fat burning while its getting rid of the alcohol. I love having a beer like everyone else but I try to avoid it above all when trying to lose weight.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You can't substitute normal calories with "beer calories" 1:1. The problem is not the calories from the beer but the fact that your body places a higher priority on metabolizing the alcohol so it basically shuts down your normal carb/fat burning while its getting rid of the alcohol. I love having a beer like everyone else but I try to avoid it above all when trying to lose weight.

This is not true - calories in, calories out still applies. In fact, fewer calories in booze will be absorbed than equal amount of bread.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you guys so much for the replies. Really should start going with light beer.

I have trouble with just one or two unfortunately. I think it's because I'm such a bigger guy, 6'4/6'5 with a huge tolerance. Takes me around 12 to get a buzz, etc.

I really worked hard this week, and had quite a few calories left over each day from working out, exercising, etc....so maybe I'll be alright one day a week?

If you are drinking beer because you enjoy it, why can't you enjoy just one or two? Is it the beer or the buzz you want?
  • treesaaaaap
    treesaaaaap Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Regardless what anyone says, weight loss can be broken down to a simple equation (calories eaten < calories burned = weight loss). How fast you see results depends on the difference between the two factors. So you have a couple of choices. One, you could give up beer (I am not an advocate of this). Two, you can drink that low call fad beer that tastes like fermented urine and stay within your calorie limit (whatever floats your boat). Three, you can put your big boy pants on, record what you drink, find out how much you went over, get your *kitten* out of bed early the next morning and go punish yourself 2x the amount you went over. I pity the people who let their diet completely rule their lives and suck the fun out what little of life's joys we have.

Man...You're absolutely right. Wow. Thanks man!
    If you are drinking beer because you enjoy it, why can't you enjoy just one or two? Is it the beer or the buzz you want?

I enjoy catching a little buzz, and it's been a habit for probably 10 years now. 17-18 years old? My folks owned a beer distributor, uncles owned bars, kind of just ran in the family. Helps me to relax from my work some days though. Just takes me a lot more than most I guess =/
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options

If you are drinking to get the "buzz" and "can't" stop at one or two, I'm sorry, but that sounds like an addiction, even if you have control of it most of the time. Not telling what to do, but you might want to think about it.
  • dannimonti75
    Options
    I have to agree, it does sound like an addiction. I am the same. I can stay away from the booze but when I start I don't stop until the booze is gone or I pass out. It's called binge drinking!. Sucks to put labels on it but it is what it is.. :(
  • AzGilrock
    AzGilrock Posts: 10 Member
    Options

This is not true - calories in, calories out still applies. In fact, fewer calories in booze will be absorbed than equal amount of bread.

If your body takes a time out to go metabolize alcohol then you have reduced the amount of calories you could have burned had you not drank the alcohol.

Read for yourself:
    http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/ask-diet-doctor-can-you-drink-alcohol-and-still-lose-weight
  • SidsMom80
    SidsMom80 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Not to be harsh, but you pretty much just said you have a problem. Being someone who has lived with several functioning alcoholics, it's not just having to drink every day, but not being able to stop once you start. Also the fact that you are sacrificing food for alcohol to stay within your calorie goals is a huge red flag. Just my opinion.
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but I find some of these responses offensive. I know alcoholism. I have family with it, I majored in psychology. According to the DSM there are 7 signs of alcoholism - and none of those are listed within the OP. So unless you are a therapist with a detailed understanding of this person's life stop labeling people who like to drink as alcoholics.

Rant over...

I LIKE to drink. When I am hanging out with family and friends I do not want just one or two. I am not a child I am not going to bed at 8. I work hard, I take good care of my kids and I when I can I like to play hard too!

On days I know that I am going to have a couple drinks I work out twice as hard at the gym especially with cardio that way I have extra calories. I don't use food calories for drinking - you need the food for nutrition - I use my exercise calories for drinking. I also consider what I am drinking - I personally like wine and vodka. When I do have vodka I ensure that I do not mix it with a sugary juice or soda - I generally stick with Diet Coke or a Bloody Mary. I make sure to track everything and I try not to do it more than once a week.

For me everything I do now has to stick for the rest of my life - I am not giving up alcohol for life so this is what works for me - good luck!
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but I find some of these responses offensive. I know alcoholism. I have family with it, I majored in psychology. According to the DSM there are 7 signs of alcoholism - and none of those are listed within the OP. So unless you are a therapist with a detailed understanding of this person's life stop labeling people who like to drink as alcoholics.

AMEN Sister!!!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it a "downfall" as much as I consider it "being human". One of my co-workers said that one of the things she liked about how I was approaching my weight loss journey was that I allowed myself to "stumble" and have a piece of cake or something - seemed to make it live-able.

That being said, I remember a meeting early on with a nutritionist who was disappointed with what little I had lost to that point. After reviewing my diary (which obviously showed why my loss had been so low), she said, "Do you want to lose weight?" It was very direct, and very straight forward. I said, "Yes" and this little voice in my head said, "Then act like it."

After starting in April 2011, and having surgery to remove loose skin/fat on March 29, the last 2.5 months have been a real challenge for me due to a very challenging recovery, and a week vacation in Disney (Orlando) followed by me pity-partying about it and wanting to eat everything in sight. I realized that my weight gain was due to largely me not wanting to "act like it."

It's been hard for me to get back on track and stay there, but today, I'm more committed to it than ever. I'll allow myself the occasional bowl of queso dip (LOVE THAT!) BUT I'll plan for it because I've found that when I tell myself, "OK - no more brownies for me EVER!!" is when I want them most. So, I'll go to Don Pablo's for lunch, order the kid's size queso, count out my 8 chips, and thoroughly enjoy it. That way, I've controlled the situation and not let it control me.

If you must drink your beer, plan for it. Maybe if you make it to Friday without a beer, then go get one (count them, 1!) on your way home at a bar - relax and thoroughly enjoy it. Then it's out of your system, and you don't have to have it in the house.

For what it's worth....