feeling very frustrated

Options
I've been working so hard - tracking all of my calories for over a month. In about 2 1/2 months I'm down 23 lbs. Upped my exercise a couple of weeks ago and weighed in. I gained two pounds. This is the point where I usually give up and eat what I've been depriving myself of. I have about 70 more lbs. to go - trying to stay positive and not let it change my course!!:huh:

Replies

• FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scale for a few months. Go by how you feel physically,you could have been retaining water that day or any number of reasons. If the scale has the potential of throwing you off hide it from yourself for a month or 2 then weigh in again.
  • magpie_17
    magpie_17 Posts: 124
    Options
    First off, way to go on that loss - that's pretty awesome!

Do you track measurements? I find that when the scale's not cooperating and I'm working hard, I'll see it in the inches.

Your body will get used to the increased exercise after a few weeks and you'll lose again.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I've been working so hard - tracking all of my calories for over a month. In about 2 1/2 months I'm down 23 lbs. Upped my exercise a couple of weeks ago and weighed in. I gained two pounds. This is the point where I usually give up and eat what I've been depriving myself of. I have about 70 more lbs. to go - trying to stay positive and not let it change my course!!:huh:

Exercise causes fluid retention in the muscles. They use the fluid to repair themselves (because exercise literally tears at your muscle fibers). It's normal to gain a little water weight when you start a new routine.

Keep tracking everything, weigh and measure your food, and take measurements. Also, don't feel like you have to deprive yourself.....that usually leads to eating massive amounts of things you've been withholding. Instead, practice moderation. If you like chocolate, eat a small serving after dinner. If you prefer chips, measure out a serving size and eat those with your lunch. There's no reason you can't have a few treats now and then, as long as you are getting the nutrition you need. Deprivation leads to a vicious cycle. And yes, moderation takes practice, but it's worth it to be able to make judicious food choices without feeling like you *can't* have something.

Good luck!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You won't lose weight each and every week. Various things affect your weight. Could of had less water, more sodium higher intensity exercise will cause water retention, hormones, etc.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The scale is not the only indicator of fitness and achieving your goals, sweetie! Someone else has indicated measurements. IMO, this is a great motivator. When the scale stops moving or moves in the other direction (which is usually small like your own), I take out the tape and do some measurements/calculations. Always remember how awesome it feels after a great workout and knowing that you are in control of you --- Don't give up. Never surrender. <<<Smile
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    23 lbs in two and a half months is awesome! I know the first time I saw my weight go up a pound it was disappointing but I know I didn't "gain" a pound - my weight just fluctuated. I just told myself it would eventually show on the scale the way it should, and it definitely did. Don't let a fluctuation sidetrack you, just keep doing what you are doing. BTW I only weigh myself every 2-3 weeks.

7396232.png
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I gain every month at one point or another. It's water weight. Same way I magically lose 2 lbs after a workout or a long brisk walk. Don't worry about it.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you are depriving yourself of foods you like then you may well sabotage yourself later. I think this is why people often gain all the weight they lose back, so don't do this.

Just don't eat large quantities of the foods you like and exercise to burn them off before and/or after eating them.

Tell yourself this: I CAN have ANYTHING I want, I just DON'T WANT that.

It will make a difference, and change the way you think about food! It can't be pleasure IMHO but rather sustenance. Sure it can be good tasting and enjoyable but it's purpose cannot be to entertain but rather to sustain.

Some of the things I've learned:

1. Weight loss for me has been on average 7lbs per month. Sure some months are better but some are worse and the lighter I get the slower the weight loss. SO if you lost more then 10lbs per month already then relax, you're doing well! Weight loss is not instant, it takes time and patience and commitment. It's tough but if you hang in there it will happen, in time.
    2. Re-evaluate! Re-Evaluate! Check your goals, change them to match you weight-loss (MFP won't do it automatically, you need to go in and make sure your daily caloric intake matches the new you on a regular basis -- I do so about every month or every 5 lbs whichever comes first).
    3. Underestimate cardio calories (or just use the MFP setting) intentionally so you don't overeat your cardio cals back.
    4. Overestimate you food intake - at least don't underestimate and error on the side of caution.
    5. Don't eat things that will arrest the weight loss. No matter what ANYONE says I have found that when I eat bread (White or partly white in particular) my weight loss stops EVEN when I am in a caloric deficit (or at least when I calculate that I am anyway). Stay away from processed foods, fast foods, candy, crap etc (I call the following 'White Death' from my body building days: white bread, white flour, white rice, refined sugar, potatoes, mayo/miracle whip etc)
    6. Drink lots of water/fluids
    7. Stay away from artificial sweeteners (try natural ones and incorporate them into your daily foods -- we use agave and honey rather then refined sugar or fake man made sweeteners)
    8. Try walking first thing in the morning to increase your metabolism and try walking RIGHT after dinner (slow pace) to help digest the meal and raise your metabolic rate before bed.
    9. Be sure to get enough fiber and to balance your macros (carbs/protein/fat) so you have plenty of energy, don't lose muscle and feel satiated throughout the day.

and finally....

Don't worry, be HUNGRY! :D
  • hingraham70
    hingraham70 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of you for your input and support!! The reason I avoid certain foods is because they are "trigger foods" for me. Eventually, I want to include a well thought out treat now and then, but for now, I don't feel like it's the right thing for me. I want to start tracking my inches, too, but honestly I am afraid to see the numbers! I am waiting til more of the weight comes off. I do notice a difference in my clothing, however. I have gone down a full dress size and a half - yeah, I'm at one of those awkward in between sizes! Lol! But I feel so much better since I've been exercising and eating healthier.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Understood. I use protein bars as a 'treat' on days I workout/ride/walk.

It's tough though and while I try very hard to stick to my caloric deficit my losses are probably only 7+lbs a month because I too succumb to things like home made bread and butter or crackers and cheese now and again ;)

But at 230lbs after not eating bread for a week (or more) I know it's easier to lose if I don't break down and eat something I should avoid.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    First off, way to go on that loss - that's pretty awesome!

Do you track measurements? I find that when the scale's not cooperating and I'm working hard, I'll see it in the inches.

Your body will get used to the increased exercise after a few weeks and you'll lose again.

I find that though it is good to weigh in, it is BETTER to measure. You can lose fat and gain muscle and weigh more but are actually smaller. For example I recently started trying to lose weight again. I started at 210. I ended up in two weeks gaining two pounds but lost 4.5 inches off my body. Then I finally lost some weight as far as the 'scale goes' with going from 212 to 206 and I've lost 7.5 inches. So if I'd given up after the first two weeks because I gained 2 pounds I would never have lost 7.5 inches from my body.

Just remember that sometimes the scale isn't going to show what you are expecting.