Exercise and Eating and Protien and Water

Options
xLyric
xLyric Posts: 840 Member
So, my nutrition teacher last semester said that you should drink water instead of something like gatorade or a protien drink, because water is better for you and why add on to the calories you need to burn by drinking something else. Sounds sensible to me.

BUT I'm doing the 30 Day Shred soon (tonight) and I keep seeing people talking about protien after working out.

I don't expect this to burn a lot, (mostly people are saying 100-300 cals) but I'm hoping it will build muscle.

So my question is, what should I eat/drink after a workout? And maybe if you can, explain the whole protien thing? Is it that important after a workout that burns as little as that? (My total every other day will be more though, as I jog...)

Replies

• AmenoKaji
    AmenoKaji Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You should drink water insted of gatorade. So aim for at least 10 cups of water regularly per day. Gatorade may help athletes that need to replenish electrolytes but when you think about it from a dieting stand point, you're just taking in sugars you don't want while losing weight. He is completely wrong about not taking a protein drink, protein is very important to maintaining a lean body or building muscle/toning up. If you dont' have a adquet amount of protein inf your diet and you're working out, it is very possible for your body to use your muscle as fuel, insted of your fat/sugar/carb stores, which means getting the end results of a skinny fat person (low body weight, but still having a beer gut and no definition)

Whey protein shakes after a workout, within 0-30minutes after your exercise, gives your body a source to stop your body from catabolising your muscle, it also goes to help repair and rebuild the muscle as well. BCAA's from whey protein and other things like that help support the body. in short a protein shake would be equal to eating a 4 or 6oz piece of chicken breast, as far as calories and grams of protein goes.

Reguardless of my workout (as long as I have sweated), i take a protein shake but my post workout shake is also timed to be considered one of my daily meals. Generally I have 2 to 3 protein shakes a day, since I love the taste and they're quick to make and I aim high on my protein. I don't know anything about 30 day shred. I use P90x and Insanity for my workouts, so I have no idea what their nutrition guidelines are or how intense that program might be.
  • jwparks4
    jwparks4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A good protein shake immediately after strength training help repair the muscle that has been damaged during the work out (which was the point). When the muscle heals, it will need all of the extra protein you can supply (to a limit).

Personally, I try to consume about 1 grams of protein per lb of lean muscle mass. I weight 192, so I figure ~ 140-150 lbs. I just make a educated guess because I don't have calipers to calculate body fat %. My target protein intake is around 125 - 175 g of protein. It has helped to add some muscle definition and I'm not looking to be a body builder. Too much protein intake (2g + per lean muscle mass) will make your kidneys hurt (they filter the excess protein). Finally, 1g of protein = 4 calories, so adjust calorie intake accordingly. I take in 500-700 calories just from protein alone.

Building muscle increases metabolism - the more muscle mass, the more calories you burn. Muscles are active organs and need constant feeding. I would put the protein shake high on my list of supplements.

I think the answer to your question is a "both" / "and". (1) Drink the water, (2) drink a protein shake, if you budget calories for the gatorade, drink it too.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    This is a sticky one for me, the majority of people that exercise, do not do it at an intensity that would require a protein shake, almost all of us get adequate protein from our diets alone. That being said, I sometimes have a scoop of protein powder to my chocolate milk, the milk alone is enough to get the majority of exercisers enough replenishment. I only do them on days that I am ifting, and heavy, for well over an 1.5 hours....on a cardio day, it'snot needed..just a glass of water and some sort of small snack. These protein shakes can pack up to 300 calories when mixed with milk, and can literally kill the calorie burn you just created...makes no sense, too many people are taking them that don't actually need them. Whatever you choose though, make sure it's needed. My re workout..oatmeal, and scrambled egg whites, post workout, small jug of chocolate milk...that's it
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    one more thing...gatorade...CRAP! don't drink it.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    This is a sticky one for me, the majority of people that exercise, do not do it at an intensity that would require a protein shake, almost all of us get adequate protein from our diets alone. That being said, I sometimes have a scoop of protein powder to my chocolate milk, the milk alone is enough to get the majority of exercisers enough replenishment. I only do them on days that I am ifting, and heavy, for well over an 1.5 hours....on a cardio day, it'snot needed..just a glass of water and some sort of small snack. These protein shakes can pack up to 300 calories when mixed with milk, and can literally kill the calorie burn you just created...makes no sense, too many people are taking them that don't actually need them. Whatever you choose though, make sure it's needed. My re workout..oatmeal, and scrambled egg whites, post workout, small jug of chocolate milk...that's it

See, I could do chocolate milk, haha. That's what I was wondering, I don't think it will be enough of a workout to warrant a protein shake. But on the other hand, I don't get a lot of protein normally either. Cheese seems to be my main protein when I look at my logs.

Thanks for all the info on it, everyone! :) I appreciate it.

I think I'll try the milk afterwards, and try and reach the daily goal for protein each day. (I think it's 60?)