50 lbs off in 4.5 months and How I did it with Pics

Options
cparter
cparter Posts: 754 Member
First for the pictures and then my story: - Warning... Long debrief at the end and then I ask that you respond with your views for mine are not the end of all. Just my perspective.

4938478826_e3a42d4a9c.jpg
Weight Lifting Days by dparter, on Flickr

This was me in my weightlifting hay day at around 185 or 190. Eating whatever I wanted because I thought I was in shape but had no idea what was going on inside. But I looked great.

4937892841_87398b0d1e.jpg
January me by dparter, on Flickr

This is me after I got some bad medication that forced me to stop lifting and running. Did not change eating habits so ballooned up to 235 and was having trouble sleeping and breathing. Every stair climbed was a task.

4937892781_84ac4b7c2d.jpg
Right Sizing by dparter, on Flickr

This is me with 50 lbs off (185 lbs) after making a "commitment" to good nutrition and exercise with 27 to 31 to go depending on my feelings at 158 will determine if I go for 154. I am also training for a marathon as a reward for my hard weight. Notice my reward is not food which was what got me where I was.

Now, my background was a personal trainer in the Navy trained through Coopers Institute. I knew what to do and how to eat but did the method of do as I say and not as I do. In other words I was not practicing what I preached.

Now for how I got my life back:

1. Like I taught I decided I needed to document what was going in and what was coming out.

2. I needed something easy to use so I found the MFP app which subsequently lead me to the site.

3. I needed someone to be a weight loss friend even if they were not trying to lose themselves, thus MFP.

4. I had to regain control and starting to be accountable for what I ate by ensuring I had a balance meal through vegetables, fruits, grains, water intake, etc and have a sensible exercise program. Also, by having my diary open for scrutinizing, so I can be kept on track as well as set an example through my hard work from exercising wisely to my eating habits.

5. Initially the weight fell off since I had a high content of fat to lose but when it slowed down I knew I had to always do adjustments. I did not starve myself but I increased my metabolism by eating often and I ate over the sites recommendation because I had to account for all those calories burned, thus the idea of eating exercise calories became a fact that it is disproved because for the normal person it is needed. Not saying I ate all of them but I ate enough to maintain my energy levels. Why would you have an intake of 1500 if that is your alloted amount and out take of 1500 and think the body would put up with that? Nonsense for the normal person. For the others let the doctors, nutritionist and health experts figure out another way.

6. Finally, as a man whose heart desires to serve others, how could I say to anyone again how to lose weight and get in shape for life if I am not leading the way.

Stay encouraged and make the right decisions. Think of the health factors and become committed to a healthier you. Too often someone is crying but I can't or I think it is too hard but when you look at all of those who have lost 100 lbs or better you have to say, when are you going to let go of that rope!! When you let go you open yourself up to a life of freedom from food and from slothfulness. We are here to help those who want to be helped but as in all things you have to help yourself. I can tell you the way but you have to be willing to let go and follow me as I go. It will not be easy for many of you but there is light at the end of the tunnel if you just don't give up. This is not about a fad but about a life style change for the better and for a brighter future. Control the food and do not let it control you. You also have to move it to lose it. Live long and stay strong.

Carlos

Replies

• NancyMoedt
    NancyMoedt Posts: 207
    Options
    Carlos, That is amazing and so true. Our stories are similar and I'm coming to those realizations as well. Thank you for sharing and teaching me that I am not the only one feeling that way.
  • tburnett80
    tburnett80 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Excellent Job Carlos. You are truly a inspiration to me and I welcome any criticism good or bad you have to help me succeed just as you have done!
  • bengal128
    Options
    Well done, I just read your post, it so makes sense what you are saying, its like a penny dropping for me. Yeah having your food diary on here certainly does make you think what you eat as you know its going to be read. I too an ex military and its one of the things that made spur myself into getting fit again, as since leaving and having two kids I've kinda let the diet and laziness get the better of me.

Keep at it and yet again well done.
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    awesome!
  • flyingspatulas
    flyingspatulas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You've done an amazing job, you should be so proud!
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! The results are really showing! I can't wait until I get rid of this hernia and can start tightening up my mid-section. Good job! Keep at it.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Fabulous job! Your efforts are not the norm, but they are wonderful.
    I also applaud the people who lose 1-4 pounds a month.
    :drinker: (water and green tea)
  • shoebootie
    shoebootie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great job! It's really true - you didn't get to be fat overnight, you can't lose it overnight. Just gotta change your life, stay committed and work hard towards a goal. We all know what we should do, and it's easy to tell others to do it, but the real test is actually living it and taking your own advice.

Someone told me once "I can be fat and unhappy and eat whatever I want, or I can exercise and track my food and hate every minute of it while still losing weight." That stuck home to me! Even if I don't like it some days, it's just what you have to do to get by.

Keep up the great work!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You rock Carlos, you'll be at your goal in no time, you're dedicated, and you want it!! WOOT WOOT!! not to mention, you're looking fantastic!!
  • caroeden
    caroeden Posts: 31
    Options
    great job!!
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    you are doing good and definitely on the right track...very encouraging...you look amazing.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Awwww...simply amazing. It is absolutely inspiring to see someone lose the weight and regain their health. Sometimes, they're not one and the same. I see some crazy things that people do to lose weight. When you make a deal with the devil, he never forgets to bill you!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You are a smart man, and I know you will inspire many others to follow.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! The results are really showing! I can't wait until I get rid of this hernia and can start tightening up my mid-section. Good job! Keep at it.

I have a permanent hernia (6" wide) across my abdomen. Since I have no rectus abdominus muscles--removed--I use my legs and the muscles (obliques) that are attached to the side of my abdomen to get up and dance and speed walk and play with my grandson.

I hope your hernia heals well, but if it doesn't, go to plan B--use your obliques and wear an abdominal support to put that hernia in its place.

Take care! :drinker:
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    You're doing so great! Definately an inspiration! Keep up the awesome work!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    You look awesome man, such an inspiration
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Great Job. You look great!
  • runningman1203
    Options
    excellent going, your looking well. Do you still do personal training ?
  • cparter
    Options
    excellent going, your looking well. Do you still do personal training ?

Only for a few friends on the side who want to get started. I go to the gym, show them how to do it and check up on them.
  • cparter
    Options
    Fabulous job! Your efforts are not the norm, but they are wonderful.
    I also applaud the people who lose 1-4 pounds a month.
    :drinker: (water and green tea)
    You are right, not many of us will get the determination and dedication to stick to it without set backs. But any normal person has the same capability as I. Although they may not lose it the way I did they can still make the positive steps in the right direction by becoming committed to a life style of change which includes proper nutrition, control, and exercise. I too applaud any weight loss or even inches lost if you are not so fortunate with the weight. It is all about taking advantage of each opportunity and being motivated to make the right decisions most of the time if not all.
  • ira_wall
    ira_wall Posts: 10
    Options
    Great Job Carlos, and thanks for all your support to the rest of us on MFP.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!