September Nutrition Challenge

Options
September2010Nutrition.jpg

Some things to motivate people to do more then one healthy thing each day. If anyone wants to make this a points challenge, we can track here a point for each day we do the challenge and see who wins the most points at the end of the month.

Replies

• lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i will join your nutrition challenge it sound easy
  • aliceofwonderland
    Options
    That sounds great, I'd love to join! :) I'm especially excited about the "try an ethnic food" YUM
  • starheart24
    Options
    I would love to join this! Sounds interesting!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I love this! I'm not sure I'll do the sports drink/protein shake days just because I don't want to use them on a regular basis... unless they come in single serving sizes? And I think 6 whole grain servings would be 1/2 of my daily calories (but maybe I'm wrong there). I think this is a great idea for finding new things to eat and new ways to eat though... count me in! :)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I want to make sure this is completely clear. I posted this challenge as a motivational tool to help people want to stick with their healthy habits and to give them new ideas of ways to achieve health. Any recommendation that I make, or challenge that I put on a day, is based on my years of education in the health and fitness industry. All nutritional recommendations that I make are based on the standards of the Institutes of Medicine and their normal recommendations. I do not endorse any supplements whatsoever. That's not to say that supplements aren't needed by some people. People who need additional vitamins, minerals, protein, or other things that they aren't getting through whole foods. That is the only reason I put any type of supplementation in this challenge. Based on the research that I've read for my classes, I do not believe that any weight loss gimmick works. Anyone who is marketing anything other then healthy eating and exercise is selling a weight loss gimmick, be it in the disguise of supplements, drugs, or whatever they want to call their latest "breakthrough" product. According to the experts, there is no such thing as a "quick fix" weight loss product. The only thing that has been scientifically proven effective is healthy eating and exercise. I do not appreciate anyone using my challenge to promote their gimmick products. I do not use them. I do not recommend them to my clients. And I do not recommend spending good money on anything that hasn't been scientifically proven to be effective. Participating in challenges I post, be they nutritional or activity related, doesn't cost money. I do not post them for a profit. I do not have time to add any more private clients to my practice. I donate my time to sites like this because I feel it is my ethical responsibility as one who is educated in nutrition and fitness to share my knowledge with anyone who might need help. Anyone asking you to purchase anything on this thread, or any other thread you may see me post on, is not associated with me or my business in any way, shape, or form. I sincerely hope that anyone soliciting for their business on this thread doesn't prevent anyone who needs the added motivation of a challenge from participating.

Sincerely,

Tonya L. Davis-Miller
    aka Training With Tonya
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    I love this! I'm not sure I'll do the sports drink/protein shake days just because I don't want to use them on a regular basis... unless they come in single serving sizes? And I think 6 whole grain servings would be 1/2 of my daily calories (but maybe I'm wrong there). I think this is a great idea for finding new things to eat and new ways to eat though... count me in! :)

By all means, please skip any days that don't work for your plan. I based the challenges on the standard recommendations of various public health agencies, including the Institutes of Medicine and the United States Department of Agriculture. The sports drink would be for those who exercise a lot and need to replace electrolytes. The protein shake would be for people who aren't getting their normal protein recommendation (possibly vegetarians) so that they can get enough protein. The 6 servings of grains is minimum recommendation from the older version of the Food Guide Pyramid that recommended 6-11 servings of whole grains per day. Because these are the standard recommendations for people on different plans, they may not work for each specific plan. For example, someone on a low carb plan wouldn't want to do the 45-65% carb recommendation day. Personally, I will be skipping the 20-35% fat day because I'm on a lower fat plan. The majority of the population should do well on these standard recommendations, but not everyone will. This is just to give people ideas to help them stay on their plan or adopt healthy eating habits if they aren't already or learn some healthy habits that they may not already know. But I highly doubt that anyone will be able to do all 30 days, or will want to do all 30 days. ;)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    I completed days 1 and 2. Anyone else get them both in?
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I completely forgot about this so I'm glad you checked in! Looking back... I got in 5 f/v Wednesday and got in some dairy on yesterday but not sure how much... probably about 2 servings. Funny because dairy is not usually an issue to get in! :) Thanks for the reminder... today is definitely going to get completed!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    September2010Nutrition.jpg

Some things to motivate people to do more then one healthy thing each day. If anyone wants to make this a points challenge, we can track here a point for each day we do the challenge and see who wins the most points at the end of the month.

looks interesting. i'll have to spend some time with it and see if i can't fit in to my weekly meal plans. thanks for some new ideas!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    How are we doing?

I didn't do the protein supplement on Saturday or the sports drink yesterday, but other then that I've done all the days. So far, I'm doing good on my sodium for today, but I have only had breakfast. Still have to get through lunch at school, so I may blow that one! LOL Hope ya'll are doing well!