Down 190 pounds and did skin removal surgery!

Options
I am not sure if anyone else is battling the excess skin issue after their weight loss, but I lost 190 pounds and it was driving me nuts. Luckily, due to my diet and exercise regimen it really was not as bad as one would think but all the skin really did hinder my progress. I could not get past the skin issue. Every time I did a squat or a military press, there it was. Staring right at me. I had never had surgery before, but decided to go ahead and look into it, which led me to actually do it. Yes, skin is an organ and it will improve but it will not retract completely. Just like the lungs of a smoker, sometimes the damage is just too permanent. I paid through the nose for it, but would not think twice about doing it again. My suggestion to anyone considering it is #1, go for it but be smart. Make sure that you are in TOP TOP TOP shape. I had ct scans done, a mammogram (cause I was considering boobs also and I'm 30), and blood work on top of blood work done. Most surgeons don't go to these extremes but since I lost so much weight and I'm vegetarian my doctor wanted to make sure my heart and lungs were good as well as my proteins and vitamins. On top of having that full physical, make sure you can do pull ups and push ups. Everything for the first week requires you to pull urself up with your arms and legs. You can't use your core for anything. Additionally, if you work out right and eat right you won't need the pain medicine. I only took it once every 12 hours for 3 days. The suggested dosage was 2 percocets every 4 hours for 10 days or until needed. I still have about 60 pills left that I am getting ready to take back to the pharmacy. I had an extended tummy tuck (hip to hip) a mini thigh lift and no lipo. The doctor said I had lost so much weight he literally had no fat to remove, the fat I have I need lol. There goes the idea of fat transfer to the booty! Anyways, good luck to you all and if anyone has any questions just let me know =)

Replies

• melissams
    melissams Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job :) These are some good tips. I am far away from my end weight but will keep all your suggestions in mind. I always tell myself when I lose the weight - everything is getting done! :)
  • delgadodelgado1120
    delgadodelgado1120 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Do it!! It is very exciting!!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Did your insurance cover it all?
  • delgadodelgado1120
    Options
    Hi,
    Sad to say, but my insurance did not cover any of it. I had to pay all of it out of pocket.

For some patients it will be covered, but mine (I guess mixed blessing) was not causing health concerns, it was just cosmetic in their opinion. I believe there are psychological factors to consider and mental health is just as important as physical health. To me, it was worth it. I paid a portion cash and found an outside funding agency that gave me a loan for the balance.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post.

When I do reach my goal, I am pretty sure, I will also need to go down that road.

I've just been too overweight for too long and no amount of training is going to get that skin back to where is should be. But I decided for myself, if I do the work and reach my goal, I also deserve to have the surgery and the body I want to have.
  • delgadodelgado1120
    Options
    Thanks for this post.

When I do reach my goal, I am pretty sure, I will also need to go down that road.

I've just been too overweight for too long and no amount of training is going to get that skin back to where is should be. But I decided for myself, if I do the work and reach my goal, I also deserve to have the surgery and the body I want to have.

That is exactly the mentality I had. It was hard to spend that much money on myself, but at the same time it was something that I did with no guessing or doubting. I feel so blessed to be out of that excess skin. I feel like a real person and not a weird mutation of myself. I am blessed and excited and have recommitted myself to the process...I never lost the commitment, it is just now I see this as phase 2. Phase 1 was losing all the weight and maintenance, Phase 2 is maintenance but remembering that I am blessed. So everyday I will rededicate myself in thanksgiving =)