Your thoughts on re-evaluation of goal weight

Options
i started MFP at 181 lbs, and originally set my goal weight to be 140 lbs. i'm 5'2'' and the top of the "healthy" range of my BMI starts at 136 lbs. i have a more muscular build because i used to play a lot of sports, and i don't want to be like stick thin.

right now i'm at 152.6 lbs, which is 12.6 lbs away from my goal weight. i'm thinking i'd probably like to be less than 140--i've never been lower than 165 so i didn't really know what my body would look like lower than that.

do you think i should change my goal NOW, or wait until i hit 140 and then re-evaluate my goal weight (change settings on MFP, etc)?

i feel like hitting 140 would be a great accomplishment, but would it slow me down to focus on that number, instead of getting to a lower weight more quickly that i can maintain?

thoughts?

Replies

• Mjroxane
    Mjroxane Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    hi , lots of people are talking about mfp , what is it :/
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    I would wait and reevaluate when you hit the 140 mark. I think BMI is not accurate for people that are very muscular, or athletic, so I would just go with the weight that makes you feel happy :smile:

Oh, and Roxane, MFP is short for Myfitnesspal :smile: I didn't realize what people were talking about at first either!!
  • KrisRain
    Options
    I think....MFP=My Fitness Pal (this site)

imho......I think i would stick with your original goal.You dont want to switch gears when your already doing so well :flowerforyou: .CELEBRATE this goal BIG time when you reach it ,dont cheat your self of that....then if you want re-evaluate from there.G/L :happy:
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I would probably wait and re-evaluate when you hit 140. Since you haven't been that weight before and aren't sure how it'll look/feel. When you get that close 12-13 lbs can be a pretty dramatic difference. If you get to 140 and want to keep going you'll already have the momentum going that got you there. Great job on the 28 lbs already lost!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The best thing would be to have your body fat % measured. That would give you a better picture of your current lean body mass--once you know that number you can add different percentages of body fat to that and get a better idea of your ideal body weight. In other words you can calculate the weight for 18%, 20%, 22% fat, etc and that should give you some idea. For example, if your 18% body fat weight turns out to be 145 for example, then a 140 target may be tougher to achieve. Conversely, if your "target" of 140 translate into a projected 25% fat, then going below 140 would be a reasonable goal.
  • Zita_Jenn
    Zita_Jenn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I agree as well!! Once you reach the 140 goal then you can change it. That is wonderful on the weight loss. :smile:
  • showers1989
    showers1989 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    wait until you hit 140. i was thinking the same with 154 being my low i set it for 150 now i keep thinking 140 but i figure ill cross that bridge when i get there. also it would just make me think i have so much farther to go ill do a big goal now and if i decide later to go to 140 ill have a short term goal for it
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Reach 140 then reconsider. My goal is 161 (BMI 23.6) but now I'm only half a pound away from it I want to be at 154 - 11 stone and BMI of 22
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    My original goal weight was 150 lbs. I am 152 right now. I was thinking about reevaluating my goal weight at 160 lbs tho.. I told myself to wait until I got to 150.. I just changed my goal weight to 145 lbs a few days ago.. I think I will see how I feel there and then maybe change it again..

I say wait until you get closer to your original goal. I had never been 150 lbs before and now that I'm almost there I see a few areas I would still like to lose weight in, so that's what I based my change on. Good luck hun.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I would just concentrate on getting to 140 for now, and then reevaluate when you get there. And celebrate big time. Also Congrats on the weight loss,. You are doing great
  • ronaldj
    Options
    My thought on re-evaluation of goal weight is as follows:

- To become the person you desire to be, first think and act like that person and you will unquestionably become that person as this is how any and all PERMANENT CHANGE works.

Now to determine whether or not the person you are becoming would think the way you're thinking, simply ask yourself if the person you desire to be would be having those thoughts and be guided according.

Kudos on your EXCELLENT PROGRESS and here's to the success you already are.

Respectfully,

Ron :wink:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    The best thing would be to have your body fat % measured. That would give you a better picture of your current lean body mass--once you know that number you can add different percentages of body fat to that and get a better idea of your ideal body weight. In other words you can calculate the weight for 18%, 20%, 22% fat, etc and that should give you some idea. For example, if your 18% body fat weight turns out to be 145 for example, then a 140 target may be tougher to achieve. Conversely, if your "target" of 140 translate into a projected 25% fat, then going below 140 would be a reasonable goal.

I second this.

It can be really frustrating trying go somewhere your bady really doesn't want to go.