Needing motivation or help (Menstrual help)

Options
I had my daughter 15 months ago, and have not gotten that "time of the month" until last month, so this is my second month since having her. I'm feeling very crampy, and nauseous. I've never experienced cramps prior to having her, so I took some Excedrin (because I had no ibuprofen or midol). I Googled afterwards and found out that Excedrin can make it worse, which is what I think I am experiencing. I completed 30 day shred this morning, but I want to take a walk too, however NOT with this pain and nausea that I am experiencing. Does anyone have any advice or ANYTHING that will help me actually get up and go take the walk.

Also, the reason I want to walk is because MFP has my calories set to 1230, but I just don't feel it's enough, so I like walking in order to eat an extra salad, or sandwich throughout the day. Skipping walking will basically make me feel like I am starving throughout the day. Although if I feel nauseous I probably won't have the desire to eat anyway. Sorry A.D.D moment. Anyway, help?

TIA!

Replies

• MaddieHard
    MaddieHard Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This isn't what you are going to want to hear. However if you are in too much pain to exercise you are likely not in need of food. If you have serious cramps and nausea you won't feel hunger. So skip the extra sandwich today.
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I get debilitating cramps every month (pain in my abdomen and back, and even spreading down my upper thighs), and I have since I was 15. In the last 6 months or so, they've gotten slightly better (I don't spend the day in bed), and that could be either because I've been exercising more regularly or because I'm just getting older and bodies change. Anyway, point is, I've got lots of experience. :) Here are the things that have worked over the last 14 years to ease the pain a little:

Curling up with a heating pad
    Ibuprofen
    Drinking LOTS of water
    Dark chocolate (this might just be all in my head, but I tell myself it makes me feel better, and it seems to work!)
    Walking - Sometimes walking actually helps relax your muscles and ease the cramps. And sometimes it doesn't. I never walk too far away from home (you might find me circling the block over and over) in case the cramps get worse.

In the long run, you might also want to visit your ob-gyn, because s/he might have other recommendations. Mine recommended birth control, and that mostly worked for the two years I was on the pill, but I really didn't like taking drugs that modified my body's hormones, so I stopped. She also recommended Aleve for cramps (same drug as Midol, really), which worked for a while. I think my body adjusted to it, because it stopped working after about six months. It might work for you, though.
  • redheadx11
    Options
    I don't walk the first day or two of my menstrual because I always feel sick (cramps, nausea, etc). Usually I feel so bloated I lose a lot of my appetite and have to force myself to eat those days so I just take it easy and eat the 1200. If you think you are going to be hungry later and want to be able to eat those extra calories get up and start moving!
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have the same kind of cramps every month. Before I had children they were so bad every month that I would actually throw up. First thing to do is buy some ibuprofen for next month. My doctor told me there is something in the ibuprofen that stops the chemical that causes the cramps. I usually take four at a time when I get cramps. I know that is a lot but I only take pain meds during my time. I have also found that ice packs help a lot. I did the heat packs for years and they never helped. My aunt suggested ice and I felt much better.