TDEE question for those experienced

Options
I have done a lot of reading on the topic, including the greats of this community (in place of a road map, the answers to the questions, etc.) plus other reading from other sources but I want to make sure I am doing this right and would love some feedback.

I did the Fat2Fit calculators as suggested by the IPOARM post. Harris-Benedict puts my BMR at 1564. I understand I should never eat under this, or at least I think. I was eating 1200 cals a day but as I begin to read more and see that eating under BMR is bad, I upped my calories.

Currently I work out 3-5 times a week, with a goal of 5-7 on an inconsistent work and overall life schedule. I interval walk/jog for 2 miles, going at about 15 minutes per mile. I then do 30DS, which puts me at about an hour total per daily workout. Some days I do not run, but most days I do the shred. I also try to stay active doing other fun things I don't strictly count as "working out," such as swimming or biking. So when I look at the calculators, I follow the "Lightly Active" recommendation since my workouts can be inconsistent, even if for some days I am "Moderate." The "Lightly Active" recommendation is 2151. So -20% of that would be about 1715. I am currently eating at 1600 since it is above my BMR and not too far from -20% as I want to lose a larger amount of weight (about 50 pounds). I have lost about 5-6 pounds so I have had some success but would love to see more.

Basically I want to ensure I am eating the right amount of calories. Any recommendations? Should I be eating more? Exercising more? Right on target? Those of you with experience and success please weigh in and I would be forever grateful. Thank you so much!

Replies

• PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    You can eat AT or ABOVE your BMR and still lose weight.

Looks like you're doing the right things! Love it. Hope you have continued success. :)

ETA: Though I'd feel like hell eating at my BMR, lol.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You're doing just fine; as long as your NET calories are equal to or above your BMR, you're good to go. Congrats on the weight lost already!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    1600 sounds great. You still have 50 to lose, so you will be just fine with a "higher" deficit.
  • brianacupcakes
    brianacupcakes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Now when you say "net calories," are you referring to eating back exercise calories? I am not doing this, I am simply eating 1600 since I thought TDEE-20% already takes into consideration your exercise? This is where it starts to get hazy for me! 1600 calories, despite 300-600 calories burned strictly in my workouts, should still be enough calories since it is above my BMR, correct? Or does the 300-600 calories burned actually put me below my BMR? Funny, I thought I was smart but this stuff makes my head spin..
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    TDEE does take you exercise calories into account, provided you estimated your activity properly.