running in a race

Options
Ok runners, question for you guys.

Is it harder or easier to run in a crowd (I'm talking running as an individual in a race) I'm training for my first 5k, and I'm getting close to being able to jog 5k without stopping, then i will build in some hills, hopefully in time for this run, but is the sea of people a motivation or a hinderance

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It is usually pretty motivating--the excitement and support of the other runners tends to give you a boost.

Sometimes that can have a negative effect as newbies tend to start too fast.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Personally I find the atmosphere at a race really motivating. The only time that I've found the crowd to be a hindrance is when people ignore race etiquette and start from the wrong corral (ie slower runners & walkers in the first corral*) and you have to weave in and out of slower groups.

Once the race has been going for a few minutes the runners tend to spread out.

Your first 5K is an experience you'll never forget!

*most bigger races will use corrals to group runners with similar estimated finishing time; fastest in the front - walkers in the back.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    What other noob moves can i avoid making? I have never even really attended any races
    I will place myself just in front of the walkers. if there is an in between
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    What other noob moves can i avoid making? I have never even really attended any races

It's hard to tell where the line between walkers and runners is. My first 5K, I started too far back and lost a couple of minutes in the first mile backed up behind slower runners. I ran that race at about an 11:00 pace, and finished mid-pack. YMMV and all that.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Don't stress! Have fun and don't worry about your time too much. I guarantee whoever finishes dead last will win so much more than the person who takes first place!
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Be mindful of other people, keep out their way. Smile if you make eye contact with someone, especially if they look exhausted and want to give up! It can be a real encouragement if you feel your in it together- even if you're complete strangers

Don't worry if you have to walk, but try and get in a nice rhythm and it will really help (I find I can get a bit carried away by people who are going faster than me).

A sprint finish feel awesome but don't worry if you don't have the energy left- I've heard people say a sprint finish means you havent worked hard enough but I can usually dig deep and find that last little burst
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I find the crowd motivating too! I run times in races I could never do out on my own. Just go have fun :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yea, the biggest mistake a new person can make is moving too far ahead. If you don't have a shot at winning, you shouldn't be at the front :smile:
    Once you get a bit farther back it isn't as much of an issue. Like someone else said, if its a large race, too far back and you might get stuck behind walkers.

My other suggestion, although its not just a newbie thing, if you are going to wear headphones (assuming the race allows because many don't) make sure you can hear people around you. Having one ear out is best. This goes for other hearing other runners who may be trying to pass you but more importantly for course Marshalls who may be trying to give you directions or heads up for danger. At the last race I was in charge of we had 3 runners miss a turn because they could not hear the marshal.

A great topic
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

On and yes, most people find the crowd motivating.
  • debbiemg9443
    debbiemg9443 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I ran my one and only race a year ago, a five mile race. I came in 7th out of 726 runners. Um, that would be 7th in my age/gender group (women in their 60s). I actually finished 698!

Everyone told me I would have a better time than for what was typical, with all the excitement. I don't think that held true for me. My time was pretty much the same.

I did take the advice of others and started in the back of the pack. The last thing you need at the start is to see everyone flying by you! That can be discouraging.

Unless you're a serious runner, I found that runners of the same speed ran together for a while. That made it nice, you get to chat with someone. I remember running for about ten minutes with a woman, and then told her I was going to try to push it a bit. (You tend to always be looking at the person in front of you, thinking, "Can I pass him/her?") She, on the other hand, said she was going to walk for a bit. And guess what, about a half mile from the finish line, she came sailing past me. In spite of the fact that she walked. I think that's what she needed to catch her breath and then pick up speed.

So those are my thoughts about my one and only race. Hope it helps!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Options
    yay! thanks. Just thinking about this race has been getting me through the c25k practices. I don't know how well i will do time-wise, BUT i know almost for certain that i will be able to run the whole thing.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Its been awhile since I have ran , but was running 10k before I stopped .. the thing that I had a hard time with is I was a slow runner . I was comfortable with a 9-10 min mile and it was discouraging to see the 6-7 min milers . The advice I had always heard was to run your race and try for personal goals ,,like the first one is finishing LOL You will meet some very nice people and have fun
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Don't stress! Have fun and don't worry about your time too much. I guarantee whoever finishes dead last will win so much more than the person who takes first place!

^^^^ This

For your first race your goal should be to finish with a smile on your face. The feeling you get crossing that finish line is something you'll never forget.

I should caution you ......running is addictive and is a cruel mistress. You'll run a few 5Ks, see great improvements in your time and then your brain will go "I wonder if I can do a 10K?" and so on........

Have fun!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Options
    i am so high on my acheivements today. I'm so proud of my 20 minute run with no walking today and i know i can do it, and i don't want to stop! My knees are hurting a little, so i do worry about the long term reprecussions
  • GeraldMar
    GeraldMar Posts: 6
    Options
    Good luck with your race!

Don't worry if you think you might not be able to run the entire distance. Many people that enter 5ks have to take walk breaks every now and then!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    The biggest noob mistake to watch is setting too fast a pace when you first start. The adrenaline of the race and seeing so many people moving faster will make a lot of people pick up the pace beyond what they can maintain, and they tire out quickly. Set your pace and stick to it, and you'll be fine. Runners are a friendly bunch, and I can guarantee you that they will be very supportive. If your knees are hurting, you might want to invest in a different pair of shoes. The right pair of running shoes makes all the difference. Go to a running store (not a generic sports store) and let them look at your stride. They can suggest a pair that works with the way you run and take some stress off your knees. When I first started, I was running in a nice pair of generic athletic shoes I got on clearance, and was having major aches in my knees and ankles. I broke down and invested in the running shoes suggested by the people at RoadRunner, and it made a huge difference. I was able to run the same courses without any pain just by changing shoes.