What six months of lifting progress looks like

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Boo, no progress pictures? :(
    Ok I finally have some progress pics for July. My shoulders and legs have started looking a lot better. According to my measurements I'm at ~18% body fat, which is about 33 lbs of fat. I'm pretty sure 32.9 lbs of that is within 3 inches of my belly button.:laugh:

SideComparison_jan2013_to_jul2013b_zpsce159353.jpg

FrontComparison_jan2013_to_jul2013_zps5dcc4348.jpg
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    To increase your bench try this:

1st Exercise: FLAT BENCH
    1st set: bare bar -- slow slow reps for stretch. Be sure to stretch well on the chest.
    2nd set: weight to get NO MORE then 6 reps (looks like 140 for you)
    3rd set: near max bench (your 140lbs for 6 reps looked like a good 2nd set so what's you max?) for no more then 3 reps
    4th set: weight to get NO MORE then 6 reps (here you'd likely do 140lbs again)
    5th set: bare bar -- slow to cool down and stretch.

Do ONCE a week ONLY -- DO NOT work chest again for one week to let it heal completely (24hrs to recover, 3-5 days to fully repair, heal and grow).

2nd Exercise (if desired): Incline (seated about 45 degrees upright or slightly more) DUMBELL PRESS
    1st set: LIGHT weight -- this might be only 15lbs for you -- possibly less. Do 6-8 reps
    2nd set: medium weight -- 4-6 reps
    3rd set: medium weight (cold be 20lbs ea) -- 4-6 reps
    NOTE: Do this VERY SLOWLY concentrate on form and control and don't worry about the weight, it's not as important as the burn.

I used this routing to break my 300lbs bench and push it to 350lbs
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    I might also add to up your protein. For muscle gain and repair you could be eating 2g's per lbs of LBM (Lean Body Mass) or even 2g's per pound of body weight.

Note: When I was 232 and benching 350 I ate as much as 500grams of protein a day to facility bulking and muscle repair. I was also 10% bodyfat at the time. You need LOTS of protein to gain muscle and to repair it so don't skimp on it and be sure to get something that's full of BCAA's and is low in sugars but high in protein (Cryosport is 140cals for 27g's of protein with lots of BCAA's and is pretty reasonably priced at Costco of all places).
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I might also add to up your protein. For muscle gain and repair you could be eating 2g's per lbs of LBM (Lean Body Mass) or even 2g's per pound of body weight.

Note: When I was 232 and benching 350 I ate as much as 500grams of protein a day to facility bulking and muscle repair. I was also 10% bodyfat at the time. You need LOTS of protein to gain muscle and to repair it so don't skimp on it and be sure to get something that's full of BCAA's and is low in sugars but high in protein (Cryosport is 140cals for 27g's of protein with lots of BCAA's and is pretty reasonably priced at Costco of all places).
    I'm currently getting about 1.2g protein per pound of LBM.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options

;) Try Upping that to 2g's and giving yourself plenty of rest (for the muscle -- meaning don't overtrain).
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Great progress. You have inspired me to graph my lifts as well. When are you going to treat yourself to an oly bar?
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    Deadlifting 120lbs (Feb) and now 275 lbs.
    deadliftprogress_zps4a4d2e12.jpg

Squatting 70 lbs (Feb) and now 275 lbs.
    squatprogress_zpsf271cab1.jpg

Much better form now. And the low bar squat should treat you well vs. that high bar. Well done.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

;) Try Upping that to 2g's and giving yourself plenty of rest (for the muscle -- meaning don't overtrain).
    Yeah I seem to be finding where my "overtrain" levels are. I'm cutting at about 300 cals a day, currently on 2400-3000 depending on my activity (using a fitbit) so 1200 calories of proteins would be a pretty intense change in diet for me! I'll have to look into what I could swap around to meet those macros, but I get foggy/weak/dizzy/etc if I drop my carbs too low. Thanks. :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Great progress. You have inspired me to graph my lifts as well. When are you going to treat yourself to an oly bar?
    Awesome, I will keep an eye out for graphs. :)

I've been wondering about this, it seems like most people use an olympic set. Is there any particular advantage to them? (I've got enough plates to make a 335 pound bar right now which will keep me busy for a while, and then I can add more sets of 25's when needed.)
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    I've been wondering about this, it seems like most people use an olympic set. Is there any particular advantage to them? (I've got enough plates to make a 335 pound bar right now which will keep me busy for a while, and then I can add more sets of 25's when needed.)

Just the bar is a larger diameter so easier on your hands and back (when squatting). You don't need to go to an oly bar, though. Keep doing what you're doing. It's working.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Oh lawd, your first squat picture made me cringe! CUDOS FOR FORM IMPROVEMENT! Also, great progress pics!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

Just the bar is a larger diameter so easier on your hands and back (when squatting). You don't need to go to an oly bar, though. Keep doing what you're doing. It's working.
    Ah ok, I thought the bars were all the same diameter in the middle. I could probably use a bigger bar with my huge hands. I will check it out next time I get a chance. :)
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    Ah ok, I thought the bars were all the same diameter in the middle. I could probably use a bigger bar with my huge hands. I will check it out next time I get a chance. :)

Hadn't thought of that. Your bar may be the same diameter in the middle. I have only seen the really small, cheapo bars and they are skinny the entire length.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Oh lawd, your first squat picture made me cringe! CUDOS FOR FORM IMPROVEMENT! Also, great progress pics!
    LOL, srsly. Improving the mobility/strength of my knees, elbows, and shoulders was necessary to develop some decent form and also to be able to put the bar lower on my back. Thanks!

Hadn't thought of that. Your bar may be the same diameter in the middle. I have only seen the really small, cheapo bars and they are skinny the entire length.
    Yeah the one I have is 1" which I think is standard, but the capacity is I think 300 lbs so I'll probably have to get another bar someday.:happy:
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep up the great work. Lift all the things!
  • playgun
    playgun Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Great job! I like the squat and safety rack you have, I've been looking for something like that! Would you mind telling me more about it? I need to increase the weight of my lifts, I'm abit concerned doing it in my basement with nobody around!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Great job! I like the squat and safety rack you have, I've been looking for something like that! Would you mind telling me more about it? I need to increase the weight of my lifts, I'm abit concerned doing it in my basement with nobody around!
    This is a magnum brand, not sure of the model. We got it on cragslist for I think $250-300, someone had picked it up from a high school when they upgraded their equipment. It was an adventure getting it into a pickup truck and then into our patio door. The upright structure is all one solid piece.

IMG_4035_zpsaf31bcf3.jpg

It's definitely nice to have, I can do squats and bench presses safely with it. The power racks I've seen take less space and are adjustable. If they'd been the same price we would have gotten the power rack instead.
  • playgun
    playgun Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Very nice, I'll keep my eye open for something like that. Thanks for the info! Good luck with future gains!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Tremendous progress that you can be proud of! Improving especially quickly on the lower body exercises.

Question: Looks like you work out at home and alone, save for your powerlifting son on occasion. With the great rack setup you have, you can squat and deadlift fearlessly and the numbers are going up steadily. Do you think it's possible that your upper body lifts are going slower because of the lack of a spotter? Is there a chance you're holding back on the bench in a way that you don't on the squat?
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    YAAAAAAAAY!