Myth or fact: you shouldn't exercise within 5 hrs before be

Options
I don't know where I read or heard this, but I recall it very recently as something you should avoid. It sid cardio exercise within 5 hrs of trying to go to sleep with result in a a poor sleep; which is counter productive to a healthy lifestyle, isn't it??

Is this true? Is weight, yoga or pilates okay if it is? I don't want have to stay up after midnight just to accomodate a good workout after work, supper and kids?? Again, counter productive.

Any advice is welcome and wanted!

Replies

• bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Myth:

I think it is personal preference. I often work out: cycling mostly, just before bed. I finish an hour ahead, just so I stop sweating and can shower before sleep. It doesn't seem to effect me negatively. In fact, if it was a relatively inactive day, I toss and turn if I don't work out.

I think this similar to waiting an hour to swim after eating. Can be a good excuse.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. Some people are awakened by exercise and others are relaxed by it. Personally, I get my best sleep when I workout right before bed. I've also had clients who can't exercise in the evening because they are too wired up to go to sleep afterwards. I'd go by how you feel, not by what some article somewhere says.
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person, fitness level, nutrition, and intensity. I know that for a while when I was over exercising and undereating (I know, bad idea!) I couldn't bring myself down or relax after a workout thus causing me to have nights where I just lay there, tossing and turning despite being exhausted. Now that I've found a balance, eat well, and my body is accustomed to my workouts at a certain hour (normally late at night) that I have no problem getting to sleep. I think that with everything, your body will just adjust no matter the hour of day (or night) that you choose to exercise. It took me about a week after changing to nightly workouts that I could fall asleep soundly within a hour of winding down for the night.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I always try to workout early in the morning just to get it out of the way. I don't think weights and yoga should give any problem if those have to wait until nighttime though. I haven't heard that advice before.
  • Jamie_V
    Jamie_V Posts: 26
    Options
    Well, I can tell you that I personally have to be done working out (weights and/or cardio) no less than about 2 hours before bed or I cannot sleep at all, and the further away from bedime I can exercise, the better. However, I also find that if I go all day without doing anything very active, I also have trouble sleeping. My best sleep occurs when I work out hard mid-to-late afternoon, shower, and have a light but satisfying dinner. I have not tried Pilates or yoga close to bedtime, though, it seems like something that might actually help sleep. Like others have said, it just depends on what works for you.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    From this article Supercharge Your Metabolism:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/tips/diet-tips/supercharge-your-metabolism/

#9. Schedule a nighttime workout.
    Do a 20- to 30-minute moderate-intensity cardio routine before you hit the hay to keep your metabolism humming all night, Porcari says. The average woman's metabolic rate naturally decreases by about 15 percent while she sleeps, but an end-of-day sweat session will make the drop closer to 5 percent, he explains. So take the dog for an evening walk or go for a bike ride with your family after dinner. And don't worry that the activity will keep you awake: As long as you exercise at least two and a half hours before lights out, you should be able to drift off with no problem, Breus says.
  • dawnsant
    dawnsant Posts: 44
    Options
    I do an hour of Zumba three nights a week, then go to bed like two hours later. I think they tell you that because some people get so charged from working out that they can not fall asleep. I have never had a problem with it. I say try it and sdee if it makes it hard for you to fall asleep. Good luck!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I agree its personal preference. i work out after kids go to bed, and I sleep just fine. I prefer to work out in the morning, just seems to work better for me, but my sleep isn't bothered if I do it at night.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I work out right after work and it doesn't affect my sleep, which is usually 4-5 hours before I go to bed. If anything it helps me sleep better.
  • adevereux
    adevereux Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone that was all awesome advice and it's always better to hear from real people than a report or article. I appreiciate it and I'm definitely going to give it a try and figure out what's best for me. :)
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I agree its personal preference. i work out after kids go to bed, and I sleep just fine. I prefer to work out in the morning, just seems to work better for me, but my sleep isn't bothered if I do it at night.

Ditto!

Like others have said, I find I sleep better when I'm exercising consistently, which often is around 8:00 p.m. I go to bed between 10 and 11, and those nights that I've exercised, I get the best sleep.