Need Help-Anyone Allergic to Milk TRIED Whey Protein Anyway?

Options
My Mom is allergic to milk and has all kinds of stomach/intestine problems. I have often wondered if a liquid diet when she's really bad would help settle things down again. But I have been unable to find a diary free protein she can stand. She's about ready to just try the whey anyway. She has IBS, Crohns, diverticulitis, and etc., etc. :(

Replies

• tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Is she allergic to the cow's milk protein (casein), or just lactose intolerant? I know a lot of people say milk allergy when there isn't a true allergy.
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    She's tried lactaid milk and cheese made her violently get sick
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    Is she allergic to the cow's milk protein (casein), or just lactose intolerant? I know a lot of people say milk allergy when there isn't a true allergy.

Ugh, forgot to quote. I am pretty sure she is really allergic. She gets violently sick after eating cheese and has tried lactaid milk. I just wondered if anyone has tried the whey protein and didn't have any problems. I was told the protein we have here is VERY low in whey.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    But I have been unable to find a diary free protein she can stand.

If you put it in a blender with fruit and stuff it might work? There's lot of vegan powders.
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    But I have been unable to find a diary free protein she can stand.

If you put it in a blender with fruit and stuff it might work? There's lot of vegan powders.

After the three she has tried, I can't get her to try any more. She's powder shy now. LOL
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    have you tried almond breeze or coconut milk
  • AnitaB30
    AnitaB30 Posts: 7
    Options
    Has she tried almond milk before? It's a good source of protein but it's made strictly from almonds... I personally think it tastes really good as well. I'm not sure about Whey protein and milk allergies however.
  • AnitaB30
    Options
    Sweetjoanne - I just noticed that you posted the same thing as I was writing my comment. I didn't mean to copy or ignore your post :)
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    Has she tried almond milk before? It's a good source of protein but it's made strictly from almonds... I personally think it tastes really good as well. I'm not sure about Whey protein and milk allergies however.

Yeah, my Mom drinks almond milk already. It has a very low amount of protein in it though. Certainly not enough for her to just drink that for a few days to get her system straightened out.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is a great substitute. Also many people who can't have cow milk can have goat milk. All 8 of my kids have problems with milk. My sister is deathly allergic to milk. They can all drink goat milk and have goat cheese with no problem. The particles in goat milk are smaller and easier to digest. It is also naturally homogenized. I hope you find something.
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    Almond milk is a great substitute. Also many people who can't have cow milk can have goat milk. All 8 of my kids have problems with milk. My sister is deathly allergic to milk. They can all drink goat milk and have goat cheese with no problem. The particles in goat milk are smaller and easier to digest. It is also naturally homogenized. I hope you find something.

She already drinks almond milk. I was hoping to up her protein but can't find a non-dairy protein powder for her. She is also allergic to eggs. I just wondered if someone who is allergic has actually tried whey protein.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Can she use soy protein and/or soy milk?
  • AnitaB30
    Options
    According to livestrong.com people with milk allergies should not consume whey protein unless it is OK'ed by their doctor. I'm not allergic to milk so I can't answer the original question you asked but just to be certain I would ask her doctor about it so there is no doubt it will not make her sick.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    Egg allergy is rough. They are in everything!

Muscle Milk makes a non dairy protein shake but I'm not sure if it has egg in it. Has she tried Ensure?
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    Egg allergy is rough. They are in everything!

Muscle Milk makes a non dairy protein shake but I'm not sure if it has egg in it. Has she tried Ensure?

I think that has milk in it too. :: sigh :: I just would like her to feel better. :(
  • hayles333
    hayles333 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a milk allergy and absolutely cannot drink whey protein shakes. If she is actually allergic to milk protein and not just lactose intolerant, I would not suggest even trying it. I LOVE Sun Warrior vegan protein powder (it's a brown rice based protein powder). I get it in the natural (unflavoured) variety and mix it with chocolate soy milk or into smoothies. It also comes in chocolate or vanilla though (I just don't like the taste of stevia). I know you said she doesn't want to try another, but I tried a bunch, and this was the only one that wasn't gritty and didn't taste like dirt, lol! Hope that helps!
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    I have a milk allergy and absolutely cannot drink whey protein shakes. If she is actually allergic to milk protein and not just lactose intolerant, I would not suggest even trying it. I LOVE Sun Warrior vegan protein powder (it's a brown rice based protein powder). I get it in the natural (unflavoured) variety and mix it with chocolate soy milk or into smoothies. It also comes in chocolate or vanilla though (I just don't like the taste of stevia). I know you said she doesn't want to try another, but I tried a bunch, and this was the only one that wasn't gritty and didn't taste like dirt, lol! Hope that helps!

As long as its not soy, pea, egg white or hemp, I might get her t try it. I'll have to see if I can find it.
  • forbloggin
    Options
    Whey Protein is a Protein.
    I am allergic to milk. I thought I'd give whey a try "anyway".
    The first day I took it, I felt awesome. Had a little allergic reaction like inflammation in the nasal passages and runny nose, but that lasted five minutes.
    I tried to continue doing that, and in two days, my allergies came back full fledged.
    Mouth is metallic taste, nasal passages are swollen, throat is dry, quite a bit of post nasal drip, and worse, I have a swollen lymph node. So I went from allergy to cold in a matter of two days.
    Just avoid it.
    I am going to experiment with casein protein and see if I get the same allergic response. If so, I'm done with milk and all-things-dairy for good.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Your mum should see a doctor and get referred to a registered dietician who will then find a plan to enable your mum to get the nutrition she needs due to her medical issues
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

As long as its not soy, pea, egg white or hemp, I might get her t try it. I'll have to see if I can find it.

I have problems with milk.
    This is what I use: NutriBiotic, Raw Organic Rice Protein, Plain
    Add fruit, olive oil, and some honey -- or whatever combination might help her.