Reoccurring Pain While Exercising!

Options
cm1458
cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
Hey, all!

I was wondering if any of you have a reoccurring pain in your foot/ankle region while exercising?
I've been doing 30DS (on day 27 now) and EVERY TIME I do any of the jumping moves I get this awful pain in the in the back inner left of my foot that shoots up halfway to my calf muscle.
It also happens a lot on the front outer right of my foot, shooting up into my calf muscle.
It happens on both feet and I'm not sure what the problem is but It hurts so bad I have to pause my workouts sometimes.
It goes away within 2 minutes. It's happened every day for the last 7 days.
Has this happened to anyone else?
How can I help prevent this?

ETA: I know it's not a shin splint or charlie horse. I've had those before, this is a different pain. Its like a peircing....like being stabbed and having the knife dragged through my flesh feeling....

Replies

• 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hmm... You might want to see an orthopedist or podiatrist. Could be any number of things. Best not to self diagnose. These things can get worse with diy treatments. Do make sure you've got good shoes with plenty of support. Couldn't hurt to ice the area when done working out, but have a dr. look at the problem.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I have modified some of the more 'jumpy' moves to accomodate my knees and back, some times the inner or outer side of your leg, foot, knee is tighter or stronger than the other side which causes uneven impact or strain. Really would be best to see a physio or podiatrist to get proper answers, they maybe able to give you exercise or custom made insoles to give you the support where you need it.
    I have seen physio or oesteopath on and off for a years was only a couple of years ago I had the way i walked assessed and was referred to a podiatrist. Have herd heel stike which exacerbates my back and poor posture apparently - Got fab insoles and they made a difference to my back, then my knees and also my calf's which I had not noticed how much they had ached until they didn't! (if that makes sence).
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You might need to add some extra support to your ankles and knees (light-weight braces), and possibly get some gel inserts for your shoes.
  • Gremlinbaby
    Options
    It could be plantar fasciitis. Do you get the same pain at all when you first get out of bed in the morning? If not it could just be that your calves are really tight. Your calves are connected to the bottom of your feet through the Achilles' tendon. Make sure you stretch them really well. You could also do some self massage to loosen them up. A rolling pin works really well. It could also be your soleus which sits underneath your calf muscle. It's harder to get to but if you press on the side of your inner leg under the bone but above the calf muscle you can massage it as well. I like to lay on my side and use the heel of one foot to massage the calf of my other leg it's the only way I can get enough pressure to get the muscle to really release. Massaging the Achilles' tendon may also help. If you sleep on your back at night generally your toes will be pointed from the sheets pressing down on them. Spending eight hours a night with pointed toes can cause the Achilles' tendon to shorten causing pain.