Exercise and calories

Options
Is it true you have to eat more calories if you exercise and burn them. I am on 1200 calorie diet so no matter if I exercise I still need to eat a total of 1200 calories. I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly.

Replies

• _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You should eat back your exercise calories, 1200 calories is basically an absolute minimum suggestion made by MFP. If you reduce yourself to 1200 calories now, the deficit has nowhere else to lower. Also, if you eat too little and exercise, you may send your body into starvation mode, which in turn will cause your body to hold onto fat, and eat away at muscle.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You don't "have to," but it is recommended.

The way MFP works:

MFP estimated daily burn (no exercise): 2200 calories
    Set to lose 2lb per week : -1000 calories
    Goal (without exercise): 1200 calories
    Exercise Burn: 500 calories
    MFP estimated daily burn (with exercise): 2700 calories
    Set to lose 2lb per week: -1000 calories
    Goal (with exercise): 1700 (or NET of 1200)

I personally eat 85% to 100% of my exercise burns. I'm sometimes over my goal by a couple hundred. I am set to lose 1lb per week and average 2lb's per week loss.
    My progress thread (I've lost 9lbs since it was posted):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1011152-87-days-of-using-mfp-p-lots-of-pics?hl=87+days&page=1#posts-15485906

Above all you have to find what works for you. I prefer to start with higher calories, so that if I do hit a plateau I have room to adjust my calories. At 1200, there isn't a lot of room for adjustment.
  • amykathleen2005
    amykathleen2005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Did you do the whole goal set up process? It probably will recommend a higher calorie intake for you so that it is a more sustainable weight loss.
  • Teddybear6803
    Teddybear6803 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes I did and it said 1200.