low cal noodles?

Options
I love making stirfry's at home because their easy and I can pile them up with all kinds of fresh veggies.

I read a while ago about someone finding low cal noodles but I cant find it back anywhere so I was hoping you guys could point me in the direction of some low cal noodle options.

I cannot not have noodles in my stirfry because my partner eats it to and he is not ion a diet and I dont have time to cook.seperatly, so a low cal noodle option would be very helpfull.

Thanks!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    shirataki noodles
    or
    "miracle" noodles

is that what you're looking for?

For asian dishes I prefer the yam kind, for italian dishes I prefer the tofu kind.
  • shadowlydarkness
    shadowlydarkness Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes thats it I think! Thanks heaps!

I can switch them for the normal noodles and my partner wont notice a thing :-)
  • KardioKim
    KardioKim Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Those are such a great alternative to pasta! I love them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

rinse them really really well first.
    I cook them in broth a bit before I add them to asian dishes.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You know when you are sick as a dog with the flu and you sleep all night, only to wake up and have to blow your nose and a big chunky slimey booger comes out of your nose? They remind me in texture to that. They also taste disgusting.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    You know when you are sick as a dog with the flu and you sleep all night, only to wake up and have to blow your nose and a big chunky slimey booger comes out of your nose? They remind me in texture to that. They also taste disgusting.
    wow.
  • umieto
    umieto Posts: 46
    Options
    Yam is a huge part of my food heritage. I don't think I could live without it.

Tip for the uninitiated: not just to rinse them first but also (at least partially) cook separately. Normally with noodle dishes the noodles are cooked separately from the broth, then drained and added to the bowl, and broth and toppings are put on top. I think in the West cup noodles and the like have made it so people are used to cooking directly in the broth. If using the shirataki to replace pasta, you need only to rinse very thoroughly and then give them a quick boil.

Shirataki has very little natural taste once rinsed and par-boiled, but it's so good at soaking up flavours. Likewise you can try konnyaku which is blocks of yam (or rather konnyaku is the yam and comes commonly in blocks, where shirataki is konnyaku in noodle shapes). It comes as white konnyaku, which is plain, or black konnyaku which has a little hijiki in to flavor it subtly.

Don't let the smell of the packaging water put you off, the noodles/yam block are delicious and very good for you.
  • muaylex
    muaylex Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Clear bean tread noodle!! People in Thailand eat this noodle because its low on calories. They also sell it at Walmart
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I discovered them a few weeks ago and they really fill my "noodle niche." rinse well in a colander under hot water. Then, especially with the yam-only ones, "dry fry" them -- spray a fry pan with some cooking spray, turn the heat up high and cook out some of the water for 10 minutes or so. That improves the texture and flavor.

as someone mentioned, the clear ones for stir-fries, the ones with tofu for "spaghetti." I LURVE spaghetti with meat sauce, it's my total comfort food, and now I can have a bif bowl of it, two cups, for 80 calories instead of 400.

awesome for homemade, lowfat pad thai.

Some people don't take to them or feel kind of bloaty with them, but they completely do the trick for me..
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options

rinse them really really well first.
    I cook them in broth a bit before I add them to asian dishes.

There's a lot of hate from people on the shiritaki noodles, but I love them. As long as you rinse them well, I don't notice any weird taste or texture. A good, well-spiced sauce also goes a long way towards getting the right taste.
  • chug0852
    chug0852 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kelp Noodles are another option - actually a vegie, but look like noodles. Like Shirataki noodles you need to rinse well.
  • shadowlydarkness
    shadowlydarkness Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I really appreciate all the feedback!