Can fatty ground beef be turned into lean?

Options
Several years ago someone made the remark that if you rinse browned fatty ground beef and the pan (if the meat is to be placed back in the pan) that you could probably count it as lean. I browned ground beef that is 75/25 and was wondering if it could be counted as maybe 85/15. I don't want to cheat myself either way. When the higher fat ground beef in a sale it is hard to turn it down.

Replies

• Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can't answer the question, but wanted to say that I do this, too, and have for 15 years or more! It was a tip that went around when the Atkins Diet craze was getting started. I saw on another site to log as 95/5 if thoroughly rinsed with hot water. I've actually never realized it and always log whatever type of meat it is so I guess I've overestimated a little on those days and probably will continue to.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this is true, I always buy lean mince.

However, I never fry it, I boil it until scum rises to the top, scoop that off, add the onions, carrots, mushroom, peas and oxo cubes and let it simmer for 45 minutes.

When the scum does rise to the top a lot of the fat does too which, of course, is also scooped off.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I love reading about culinary overachievers.:huh:
  • __Di__
    Options

You do? Is it because you want education in that area by any chance?
  • neanderthin
    Options

Well, it is my business, I'm a chef and I like to learn, but I'll pass on your expertise, thanks for asking. Your washing a lot of the flavor away, and fat isn't something to be feared.
  • Eddieray616
    Eddieray616 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Well, it is my business, I'm a chef and I like to learn, but I'll pass on your expertise, thanks for asking. Your washing a lot of the flavor away, and fat isn't something to be feared.
    agreed. doing stuff like boiling it seems to ruin a good piece of mince. enjoy the mince and count it in your daily calories. don't take the fun out of food.
  • __Di__
    Options

I am not saying it is feared, I am just stating how I like to cook it. You were the one with the sarky reply that actually contributed sod all to the thread, but thanks anyway.

For your info, I don't fry anything, hence the boiling and it is not tasteless, it just isn't sopping in fried grease.
  • __Di__
    Options

agreed. doing stuff like boiling it seems to ruin a good piece of mince. enjoy the mince and count it in your daily calories. don't take the fun out of food.

I do count it in my daily food, it is just less calories if I do not fry it.

Good grief what is this LMAO!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    This is easy. Buy lean mince. Don't add oil to the pan. Fry.

Boiling mince? Yuk. My Mum used to do that and feed it to the cats when they were sick :sick:

But honestly, I don't think you could ever get rid of enough fat to make regular mince 'lean'.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    When I use my George Foreman I count all my meats as lean.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I am not saying it is feared, I am just stating how I like to cook it. You were the one with the sarky reply that actually contributed sod all to the thread, but thanks anyway.

For your info, I don't fry anything, hence the boiling and it is not tasteless, it just isn't sopping in fried grease.
    Mmmmm, boiled rib eye. Do you think that if we boil yogurt that contains fat that that sopping grease will be released? j/k As long as you enjoy your food, go for it.
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    How to reduce fat in ground beef:

http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_Files/Reducing Fat in Ground Beef.pdf

I rinse beef in hot water but, It does take the flavor out though. If you add beef broth back into the rinsed beef it restores some of the flavors. Not ideal for all recipes but, works really good for making chili or spaghetti sauce.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am so not hungry right now : (
    If you buy the higher fat content then rinse it down to lean then aren't you just wasting the money you saved, taking out the flavor and adding work. Wouldn't it be better just to buy the lean and count the calories and not rinse and keep the flavor?

Wow even less not hungry! Good luck!
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am so not hungry right now : (
    If you buy the higher fat content then rinse it down to lean then aren't you just wasting the money you saved, taking out the flavor and adding work. Wouldn't it be better just to buy the lean and count the calories and not rinse and keep the flavor?

Wow even less not hungry! Good luck!

Higher fat meat is much cheaper then lean meat. So, you are going to save money.
    The flavor is rinsed out so, it's not viable for all recipe. But, for chili or spaghetti sauce, you probably won't be able to tell the difference.
  • __Di__
    Options

Mmmmm, boiled rib eye. Do you think that if we boil yogurt that contains fat that that sopping grease will be released? j/k As long as you enjoy your food, go for it.

Well that I wouldnt know, enlighten me. I don't eat ribeye and I have never boiled yogurt, is it nice?

:laugh:
  • __Di__
    Options
    This is easy. Buy lean mince. Don't add oil to the pan. Fry.

Boiling mince? Yuk. My Mum used to do that and feed it to the cats when they were sick :sick:

But honestly, I don't think you could ever get rid of enough fat to make regular mince 'lean'.

Did she not add stock and seasoning to it? Boiled mince on its own would be rank I agree.

I never fry and I like to skim fat off, hence my first posting.

Fat is not bad for us but I do not want extra, it is unnecessary and to me, it does not add to the taste, well it does, but for me, not in a tasty "yum that was delish" sort of way.

Each to their own :)
  • sixibabey
    sixibabey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    lol, im not taking any cooking tips from brits

beans_on_toast.jpg
  • __Di__
    Options
    lol, im not taking any cooking tips from brits

beans_on_toast.jpg

If that's what some of us are cooking, neither will I! :laugh:
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Actually beans on toast is a well balanced meal, well if you use wholemeal bread, and cut out the cheese but still, great source of fiber and some protein from the beans.