Running with no results

Options

Replies

• kpodjan
    kpodjan Posts: 11
    Options
    I really appreciate so many of your comments and help. Gives me a lot to look into to get where I'd like to be but I know that getting off my @$$ is the first step for me. I've been an on and off runner but this past challenge has been my best. My 60 year old mom decided to train for a marathon in October. :flowerforyou: She's amazing.

Anyway I've been tracking my food and it's now 3pm and I have 1100 calories left which includes my running deficit. (not sure if that's the right word) I know snacks and dinner can eat that up fast but I'm seeing it's important to really know what I'm eating.

Thanks again!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm sharing this because I think it's hilarious and speaks to my personal challenges - not because I'm assuming that you have this issue. But I hope you enjoy it - it has great insights about weight loss as well.

http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/hungry-for-more
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I started a running program (C25K) at the end of May '13 and just graduated by running my 5K today (July 5 '13)...yay! My concern is that even though I can feel more muscle tone in my lower body and feel 'slightly' leaner around my shoulders and chest I have lost no weight...not one pound...and not even partial inches on my measurements. I run 4 times per week and it's been a straight two plus miles for about 3 weeks now. I eat less than I did before I started and I naturally am choosing healthier foods over junk. Am I not giving it enough time? I feel like I should have at least lost something by now :-( Wondering other peoples experience.

you can't outrun what happens in the kitchen.
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    A caloric deficit is what you need to lose weight. Excercise helps with that but diet is 80%.

Also running didn't add that much to my deficit until I got to the 20+ miles a week range then it was easy to lose .5 to a pound a week. From the way I read it your only running 8 miles a week. Work on building up to more running, that will help.

^^^^^^^
    THIS!
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I started a running program (C25K) at the end of May '13 and just graduated by running my 5K today (July 5 '13)...yay! My concern is that even though I can feel more muscle tone in my lower body and feel 'slightly' leaner around my shoulders and chest I have lost no weight...not one pound...and not even partial inches on my measurements. I run 4 times per week and it's been a straight two plus miles for about 3 weeks now. I eat less than I did before I started and I naturally am choosing healthier foods over junk. Am I not giving it enough time? I feel like I should have at least lost something by now :-( Wondering other peoples experience.

LOL!!!!!!!! Too true!
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I just want to say that that you're doing awesome! Weight loss can be a tricky thing. If you're making progress with your running and eating well, everything else will fall in line. Just focus on running more (without getting hurt!) and making smart choices. Just imagine in a few months you could be running 20+ miles per week; then you know you'll be seeing big changes!
  • kpodjan
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I just want to say that that you're doing awesome! Weight loss can be a tricky thing. If you're making progress with your running and eating well, everything else will fall in line. Just focus on running more (without getting hurt!) and making smart choices. Just imagine in a few months you could be running 20+ miles per week; then you know you'll be seeing big changes!

Thank you for the encouragement. I do plan to increase my distance slowly but surely :-)
  • kpodjan
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Yes...very true! After only one day of calorie counting I was a little surprised at how quickly they go. I 'thought' I wasn't eating much as I rarely eat out but I definitely noticed how much I grab 'bites' of this and that...and late afternoon to evening is where I'll really have to watch!
  • janzia
    janzia Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm sharing this because I think it's hilarious and speaks to my personal challenges - not because I'm assuming that you have this issue. But I hope you enjoy it - it has great insights about weight loss as well.

Loved it! Thanks for sharing!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    First of all - great job on the running and finding an exercise that you enjoy!! For the most part -I echo just about what everyone else says- weight loss is very personal - what works for one person may not work for someone else. To lose weight calories in has to be less than calories out. While running helps me create that deficit - I still need to watch what I eat to make sure I have a deficit. Good luck!!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I ran for over a year with no weight loss. I then started counting calories and adding some weights, along with increasing my running. Then I saw results. 3 miles (5k) really isn't a huge calorie burn about 280 cal for me, and I was eating too much. Weight loss happens in the kitchen!!
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call progressing from not being able to run to running 5K "no results" :flowerforyou:

What she said!

I lost maybe 20 pounds over the 3 months I did the C25K app? That was watching calories too, around 2k/day. After I progressed through the program I continued to run 3x/week, about a 5k each time. I continued to lose weight, maybe another 25 lbs, taking me down to the 240's.

When I added weights via CrossFit in November, that put me in turbo mode.

The results were very noticeable and my wife started getting jealous. Note: I didn't stop running! I did scale back, maybe only 1-2x a week, and maybe only every other week when it got 'cold' down here in Raleigh :)

I think you can get what you want just by doing cardio, but it might take a lot longer. If you want muscle tone, adding weights to your routine is probably going to be necessary. And that can be body-weight exercises like pull/push-ups, squats, etc.

Good luck, and don't give up!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    losing weight has everything to do with how much you eat vs how much you burn. You could run 10 miles every day but if you are not eating less than what you burn, you wont lose weight.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Ha ha! Thanks for sharing this. I think we have all been there - you go for a run and think you are burning off a lot of calories and have "earned" that treat. While running is a great calorie burner it is not a magic bullet. When doing C25K I was burning around 300 calories per run/walk. It's not as much as you would expect, I think. But the benefits are not just calorie burn - my body changed shape and my energy levels soared when I started running. Not to mention better posture and confidence.

My way around overeating is to run first thing on just a cup of coffee and to only eat breakfast when I get back (usually something with a bit of protein). Otherwise there is the temptation to eat before and after. For short runs you usually have enough fuel in the tank from the day before to run without eating first.
  • kpodjan
    Options

Ha ha! Thanks for sharing this. I think we have all been there - you go for a run and think you are burning off a lot of calories and have "earned" that treat. While running is a great calorie burner it is not a magic bullet. When doing C25K I was burning around 300 calories per run/walk. It's not as much as you would expect, I think. But the benefits are not just calorie burn - my body changed shape and my energy levels soared when I started running. Not to mention better posture and confidence.

My way around overeating is to run first thing on just a cup of coffee and to only eat breakfast when I get back (usually something with a bit of protein). Otherwise there is the temptation to eat before and after. For short runs you usually have enough fuel in the tank from the day before to run without eating first.

This is my favorite time to run. I usually eat 1/2 banana just in case to give me enough to get through :-) I've been 'counting calories' for 4 days now and it's crazy how little I feel I'm eating. Trying to eat healthier options for the most part but 1500 cals isn't much :-( Oh well...it's what I gotta do ;-)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    The only results that you should expect from running is that you get from A to B and it will improve your cardio fitness.

Diet for weight loss, exercise for fitness.

If you aren't losing weight then you are probably eating too much
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I hun, I looked at your diary and while some foods are good others are not , you cannot out train a bad diet. You are eating some processed foods, high sodium( water weight) foods, try to stick to lean protein( chicken, tilapia,shrimp) complex carbs( oatmeal, sweet potatoes, quinioa) green veggies fresh not canned, some fresh fruit, healthy fats( almonds, avocado, olive oil)...no white foods, no bread, no dairy, you can get a lot of vitamins from fresh food if you eat a well balanced diet. goodluck:flowerforyou:
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I hun, I looked at your diary and while some foods are good others are not , you cannot out train a bad diet. You are eating some processed foods, high sodium( water weight) foods, try to stick to lean protein( chicken, tilapia,shrimp) complex carbs( oatmeal, sweet potatoes, quinioa) green veggies fresh not canned, some fresh fruit, healthy fats( almonds, avocado, olive oil)...no white foods, no bread, no dairy, you can get a lot of vitamins from fresh food if you eat a well balanced diet. goodluck:flowerforyou:

Nothing wrong with white foods, bread or dairy. Not everyone needs to be paleo
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with white foods, bread or dairy. Not everyone needs to be paleo

Amen!
  • kpodjan
    Options

I am definitely wanting to move in that direction. I did buy some fresh produce and plan to buy more at the market tomorrow. I've always been a very picky eater but it is slowly starting to expand when foods are prepared correctly. Thanks for your help. :-)