Staying under 2500mg of sodium?

Options
2»

Replies

• tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat anything from a restaurant or from a box or can I have difficulty staying under my sodium limit. When I cook my own food, I stay well under the limit.
  • Antoine112
    Antoine112 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    And I've got the exact opposite problem of not being able to make the number. It always hovers around a 1000 or less. Don't want to increase my salt intake unnecessarily as my blood pressure has been relatively normal all my life! Wondering what to do....??
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The OP was from almost 3 years ago....I hope they figured it out by now... :smile:
  • Cranialrock
    Cranialrock Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are the only person iv heard of that can do that!!!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    deleted reply as this is an old thread and I did not notice the date of the first posting.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Ham products seem to have more sodium (bacon, ham, LUNCHMEAT especially lunchmeat you get at any restaurant ... grrrrrr,, that may be why Subway is higher in sodium because its lunchmeat/sliced meat, any meat that is cured in salt like corned beef, are high in sodium, also i found out that "healthy" sandwiches from places like Jersey Mikes subs dont taste like high sodium but they have like 1,600 to 2,500 in one regular sandwich grrrrr,,, also some chicken products (the kind you get at a restaurant vs your own homemade) seems to have a lot of sodium/preservatives.. also shrimp can be high sodium when processed.

also condiments like my fave barbeque sauce - 300 mg per 1 (or 2? teaspoons)... and mayo, and there can be high sodium in Chinese food too... a lot of restaurant food is bad for low sodium.

sodium retains water, so if you eat food higher in sodium, wait a couple days and it will go down the toilet, but drink enough water to wash it away.

Check out the MFP food database and see some examples, i.e. there is a shrimp taco that has extremely high sodium, and you'd think it wouldn't but it does.

the solution seems to be - keep your food as plain as possible, without a lot of added condiments, and make your own chicken to put on salads rather than buy deli chicken or restaurant food that has premade the chicken for you.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    There's hardly anything in your blog... *scratches head*

Should brussle sprouts have sodium? Do they naturally have that, or is it added? Check the ingredients on the package.

Here's what you do.

Don't Buy:
    Premade Frozen foods
    Canned foods
    Packaged foods
    Fast Foods
    Junk foods

Check out my food blog. I hardly ever reach the sodium level.
  • vec2013
    vec2013 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat going over sodium or sugar if I know I haven't eaten anything crazy. A cup of cherries with the pits has put me close to being over daily sugar and an oz. of bleu cheese crumbles on my omelette really racked up the sodium. Just watch out for packaged foods and processed meats.