Just wondering how everyone feels about this artical...

Options
2»

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    mine isn't so
  • arb45342
    arb45342 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with him completely, but have read a number of articles recently that do support that constant pace cardio is not an effective fat burner (just relaying what I've read - can't say what is really correct). There are a lot of reports out there now (including my chiropractor's office/wellness clinic) supporting the effectiveness of interval training for fat burning. One article I read just yesterday said that to effectively burn fat, you need to do like 45 seconds at max pace, then drop to low pace until you are recovered. Then back to 45 seconds at max (pushed to your limit) - do like 6 - 8 cycles of that per workout I think. However, they did also say to not completely remove steady paced training from your curriculum because it is important for other health reasons.
  • Lonarae12
    Lonarae12 Posts: 10
    Options
    LOL!
  • Lonarae12
    Lonarae12 Posts: 10
    Options
    quoting from this article, "did young Captain Kirk look like he had a weight problem"........uuuum yeah he did and is rumored to have wore a girdle on set. I'm sorry I can't take anyone's word when they don't even know basic sci-fi.

LOL! I agree!
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    I don't have an advanced degree in exercise physiology -- but neither does the author. He's got a business degree, alongside "27 years of experience with weight loss,"....whatever that means. The whole article reads like one long commercial for a bunch of books that he wrote -- already a red flag, and a good reason to be skeptical.

However, I do agree that strength training should not be neglected, especially over one's lifetime because muscle atrophy as you get older is indeed a biological fact.

I'm thinking that he paints such a harsh picture of cardio in order to be as "shocking" and "controversial" as possible and sell more of his books...

I don't even like cardio, but I like sketchy salesmen even less...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I absolutely believe that a resistance training program can offer more to body composition than just cardio training alone. Especially if the training is HIIT training.

That is the part that people miss is body composition. Without strength training you'll just go from fat to skinny-fat. I have seen it too many times, people who drop alot of weight yet still have a high percentage of bodyfat.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Someone else posted the same article on here.. It's bullcrap, plain and simple.

This article encourages the new fad mentality of "Cardio is evil; weights are awesome. Therefore, you should hate cardio and preach about weights.", which is stupid. Mostly because it focuses on how you want to look, rather than perform. Our society is so focused on how people should LOOK, rather than what they should be able to DO, we sell things like exercise just because we'll LOOK better, which doesn't guarantee anything about how we'll be able to function or what benefits we're actually getting.

I run long-distance because my lungs, heart, and circulatory system get much stronger and more efficient. I lift weights and do high-intensity training because it helps keep me well-rounded, and helps strengthen the support from muscles I need to do the things I love. BALANCE is the key to being a well-conditioned athlete that performs well, and doesn't simply LOOK a certain way. There are people I see in the gym who work hours upon hours with weight to look bigger, but if you put them outside and asked them to toss hay bales all day, they'd have to stop after a few rounds because they aren't actually conditioned to do coordinated work. I can go from running five miles to horseback riding to pulling trees, all in the same day, because the workouts I do focus on helping me perform better, not just look better.

It's all about what your goals are. If you want to LOOK a certain way, fine, subscribe to the theory that cardio is evil, sucks, and will make you fat. You'll look as awesome as you want that way. If you want to actually DO things, and focus on how you can PERFORM better, ditch the mentality that something has to inherently suck because it alone doesn't do everything you want, and work on finding balance.