Help, I have amenorrhea!

I'm seriously at a loss. I admit, I didn't lose weight healthily in the past. My weight dropped from 168 to 104 in less than 7 months with too much exercise and calorie restriction. I then discovered MFP, which changed my mindset and my life. This is where I learned about TDEE and followed success stories of people who fueled their bodies and still lost the weight. I wanted to be that person.

The fear of food no longer food to controls me, however, I'm afraid I've screwed up my body. I haven't had a period in almost two years. This worries me because I'd like to have children some day.

Background:

Height: 5'0"
Weight: 104 lbs
Macros: 45% carbs, 20% protein, 35% fat
Calories consumed: roughly 1750-1815

I feel like I'm going about everything the right way now. My body fat is normal (19.5%) and exercise consists of a 45 min gym session, 4 days per week. I've followed this plan for nearly a year and still don't have a solution. I've seen a Gyno, and everything is fine. They said "your body just has to adjust". Well hell, it's been a decent amount of time, don't you think? Anyway, my question is - to anyone who may have experienced this, do I need to adjust my macros? More fat perhaps?

Replies

• BevBasil
    BevBasil Posts: 37 Member
    Get a second opinion from another OBGYN!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    How long have you been eating at a more reasonable level?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    I had amenorrhea after my first child. It had nothing to do with weight loss - I'm 5'0" and was 125 lbs and probably about 28% bf, and hadn't lost weight quickly - 25 lbs in the first 6 months (baby weight, including baby, etc, that came off naturally) and the other 10-15 over another 4-5. It was because my hormones were all messed up (partly because of Depo bc and partly because it's always been a bit wonky for me).

My best advice would be to get a second opinion with a gynecologist. Ironically, with was birth control pills that brought my period back, and I was able to pregnant within a couple of months of getting off them. (The pill is used often to treat amenorrhea and irregular periods, my GYN told me).
  • How long have you been eating at a more reasonable level?

'Bout a year. That's why I'm concerned. I went to the Gyno a few months ago and they tried putting me on birth control. I don't like the idea of artificial periods. I just want to be normal!
  • WeeshieRN
    WeeshieRN Posts: 3 Member
    As a women's health RN, I would suggest seeing another OB/GYN. You should probably be placed on birth control pills so that you will get a period ( I had the same issue of amenorrhea and I have been on birth control with a normal period every month). It is not healthy for your uterine lining to not shed monthly. There are very low dose bc pills you can take if you are worried about taking them. When it comes to getting pregnant there are many options including something as simple as a pill that can make you ovulate.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    If everything is fine gynecologically you may actually need time to adjust or you may be one of the people who biologically need a higher bodyfat percentage to function.

Also, how was your body fat measured?
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Perhaps gaining some weight would help. A doctor may be of better help.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Get a second opinion.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Agree with the other posters, if you are eating healthily now then get a second opinion, or possibly listen to the first OBGYN who reccommeneded birth control pills. You may not need them long term, but just as a "jump start" to remind your body what it is supposed to do.
  • If everything is fine gynecologically you may actually need time to adjust or you may be one of the people who biologically need a higher bodyfat percentage to function.

It was measured using calipers, so I'm pretty sure it's accurate.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member

'Bout a year. That's why I'm concerned. I went to the Gyno a few months ago and they tried putting me on birth control. I don't like the idea of artificial periods. I just want to be normal!

Artificial periods > no periods. Seriously, your uterus needs to shed that lining.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

As someone mentioned, you may be one of the people who does better on a higher BF%, especially after having disordered eating. Also, I would either go back to your current OBGYN or a different one and explain that you do not want to go on birth control and discuss alternatives.
  • I really do appreciate all of your responses.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,243 Member
    Bump
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    If everything is fine gynecologically you may actually need time to adjust or you may be one of the people who biologically need a higher bodyfat percentage to function.

I think that depends on the person doing the measuring. Your primary care provider or OBGYM could probably provide you with some information on more accurate tests (such as DEXA scan or Bodpod) as your body fat estimation may be off.

Honestly, I would try to gain a few pounds and see what happens before trying birth control.
  • If everything is fine gynecologically you may actually need time to adjust or you may be one of the people who biologically need a higher bodyfat percentage to function.

I think that depends on the person doing the measuring. Your primary care provider or OBGYM could probably provide you with some information on more accurate tests (such as DEXA scan or Bodpod) as your body fat estimation may be off.

Honestly, I would try to gain a few pounds and see what happens before trying birth control.

As much as I'd love to, I'm sure it would be very costly without insurance. Birth control is however, free. If I am to gain weight, it will surely be in a healthy manner!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member

As much as I'd love to, I'm sure it would be very costly without insurance. Birth control is however, free. If I am to gain weight, it will surely be in a healthy manner!

If there's a university in your area (especially one with a physiology/med program), they may have a bodpod you can use fairly cheaply. I only paid $40 for my bodpod test.
  • ablazeoflife
    ablazeoflife Posts: 169 Member
    I had amenorrhea for over 2 years as well - not due to being underweight but because of a depo-provera shot that was only supposed to last 3 months. I know that body-fat percentage will make a big difference in helping your period come back, but it also needs a "jump-start" with birth control pills. I know you don't like the idea, and I didn't either but it worked for me. It's like crutches for a broken period... ;-) I was on them for less than a year, and was pleasantly surprised that once I ditched them my period came normally. It was a little wonky-timed at first and then it became regular again. Give it a try... it's temporary and might help a great deal to get your period back.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Just an FYI--research on female athletes shows that amenorrhea is not correlated with body fat but rather with energy availability. So if you exercise a lot, you need to eat that much more.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?cites=18353774032708677516&as_sdt=5,33&sciodt=0,33&hl=en
  • Same as the poster below, I also am an RN and you really should consider going on the pill for a few months. This happened to my daughter when she started playing college softball. She was fine in high school, however college is a whole different ball game fitness wise. She only had to do it for about 6 months and then when she got off they came back like normal. I also really think you need a second opinion and possibly a hormone panel done.