So frustrated

Options
I had a junk food binge last night. Shameful! I woke up today just feeling like crap. No better way to describe it than a food hangover. How sad is it when you can eat so much crap in one night that you have a HANGOVER the next day?!?! I have GOT to figure out a healthier way to deal with my depression and loneliness at night than turning to food. I cope all day and then night time comes and I just dive off the deep end!

Replies

• ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have experienced that as well - it is awful! But use that memory to your advantage the next time you feel tempted to overeat. It is a powerful motivator!!
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You are describing most of my life. I recently hit a health induced wall, and knew I HAD to repair my life style. I STOPPED eating salt, sugar, grain, and dairy, began having coffee when I woke up in the morning, added one nutrient dense meal in the evening, and prayed.

Much to my shock, everything fell together, I've lost 25 pounds, and NO binges or cravings in 3 months! I have not gone for 3 solid months with no binges or cravings in my entire adult life!

Maybe if you choose one or two unhealthy food groups and STOP them, it will give you the jolt you need to surmount cravings and binges when they hit. Just be sure you are making decisions that will lead to improved health and well being. YOU ARE WORTH IT!
  • FriscoChet
    FriscoChet Posts: 57
    Options
    The hardest time for me has always been night eating...and homes with the "open concept" where there is no wall between the kitchen and living room (allowing you to see the kitchen making me think about eating) can be a nightmare. So being realistic evenings are hard, especially if you don't take your mind off of it. I have been able to control it (OK, not perfect, but much much better), by creating a "lunch bag" that was just for my night cravings. So what I did was put in things that I allowed myself that night, when I was done with that bag, I was done because I wrote on it how many calories it was total that I had just consumed. I did not just have celery in it, I also put a couple of treats that I would enjoy as I started the process, then replaced those with healthier choices along the way. My other rule of the bag, is that I could not just take it and put it in front of me and eat out of it. I could only take out one thing per hour. So I know it is not a total fix, but it helped me get started along the journey. Being honest, when you "junk food binge", and I know I have, the next morning stinks..Feel free to add me as a friend, but in any case you CAN get this under control, you are so much stronger than those TWINKIES (and if you don't eat it that night, you don't have to worry about them going bad for at least 100 years!) :)
  • will4change
    Options
    Wow what a great idea!!! Thanks for post this FriscoChet!! I sure does help to know that I am not the only one that evening is "junk food buffet time" Those are sure the HARDEST HOURS FOR ME!
  • GrnEyz80
    GrnEyz80 Posts: 121
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your advice and support!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue here and was finding myself binging on unhealthy foods I had ordered in some evenings. I do sometimes overeat on healthy stuff at night too, but the impact is not as bad as it could be because I intermittent fast most of the time, and have all my calories in the evening anyway. My reasons are staying up too late, getting bored, loneliness and the sleeping pill I take.